Paul Ryan has only two bills passed in 13 years.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/12/paul-ryan-bills_n_1769816.html

He's been in Congress for nearly 13 years, but Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) has only seen two of his bills pass into law during that time.

Ryan, who Mitt Romney has tapped as his running mate, passed a bill into law in July 2000 that renames a post office in his district. Thanks to Ryan, the post office on 1818 Milton Ave. in Janesville, Wis., is now known as "Les Aspin Post Office Building."

The other time Ryan saw one of his bills become law was in December 2008, with legislation to change the way arrows (as in bows and arrows) are hit with an excise tax. Specifically, his bill amended the Internal Revenue Code to impose a 39-cent tax per arrow shaft, instead of a 12.4 percent tax on the sales price. The bill also "includes points suitable for use with arrows in the 11 percent excise tax on arrow parts and accessories."

Kevin Seifert, Ryan's congressional spokesman, did not respond to a request for comment.

Is this normal? I was just wondering how often people in leadership positions or indeed just in House get laws passed?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
What laws did Obama get passed when he was a Senator?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
What laws did Obama get passed when he was a Senator?

According to wikipedia, two in the almost 4 years he was in the Senate. Although that's "better" than Ryan, I'm not sure you can compare the two, or that "bills passed" is even a valid measure by itself of how much work an elected official does.

Also, Romney and Ryan aren't running against "Senator" Obama ;)

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/12/paul-ryan-bills_n_1769816.html

He's been in Congress for nearly 13 years, but Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) has only seen two of his bills pass into law during that time.

Ryan, who Mitt Romney has tapped as his running mate, passed a bill into law in July 2000 that renames a post office in his district. Thanks to Ryan, the post office on 1818 Milton Ave. in Janesville, Wis., is now known as "Les Aspin Post Office Building."

The other time Ryan saw one of his bills become law was in December 2008, with legislation to change the way arrows (as in bows and arrows) are hit with an excise tax. Specifically, his bill amended the Internal Revenue Code to impose a 39-cent tax per arrow shaft, instead of a 12.4 percent tax on the sales price. The bill also "includes points suitable for use with arrows in the 11 percent excise tax on arrow parts and accessories."

Kevin Seifert, Ryan's congressional spokesman, did not respond to a request for comment.

Is this normal? I was just wondering how often people in leadership positions or indeed just in House get laws passed?

I don't see this as a plus or a minus but the yardstick I would like to see for measuring candidates is how many useless/harmful laws have they repealed?

I whole heartedly agree with Incorruptible on this.

Last edited:

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
laws aren't intrinsicly good. Most of the time they have unintended consequences and make govt bigger and more controlling. The more laws obstructed the better.

Laws aren't intrinsically bad either. Accomplishments of government shouldn't be a count of things done or a count of things not done, it should be measured in terms of overall benefit.

One of the big reasons I don't agree with the economic right in this country is that the SIZE of government seems to have eclipsed the VALUE of government as the primary issue. I like the idea of low taxes and minimal regulations as much as the next guy, but that can't be the ONLY goal.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think we should vote for the president based on whether they where boxers or briefs. It's about as useful any measure the hacky OP would choose...

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-ryan-record-20120812,0,5460291.story

In crucial moments near the end of George W. Bush's presidency, for example, when the White House pleaded with Congress for a bank bailout plan to save free-falling financial markets, Ryan joined the effort to pass the Troubled Asset Relief Program. Dozens of Republicans did not. Ryan also joined in passing the auto industry bailout in late 2008, in the lame-duck session before the new Congress.

He voted in 2003 for Bush's proposal for a new Medicare prescription drug benefit, in a vote that saw more than dozen defectors within the party. Some conservatives, at the time and since, have criticized Medicare Part D as a costly government expansion.

That pattern continued as Ryan rose in the ranks of the House, becoming Budget Committee chairman. Early in this Congress, when some of his fellow Republicans threatened to shut down the government as one of the first acts of the new House GOP majority in 2011, Ryan voted for the budget deal to keep the government running.

:D Good stuff.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
I think a better measure of the man would be what bills did he vote yes on and what bills did he vote no on.