Paul Rivals Clinton, Raising Almost $20 Million for Campaign

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Paul Rivals Clinton, Raising Almost $20 Million for Campaign

By Kristin Jensen

Jan. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Presidential candidate Ron Paul raised almost $20 million for his campaign in the last three months, potentially outpacing every one of his Republican rivals and putting his fundraising in league with Hillary Clinton's.

Paul, a U.S. representative from Texas, raised at least $19.5 million, according to a statement posted on his Web site. His campaign said today that he originally aimed to raise $12 million in the fourth quarter of 2007.

The take puts Paul on par with the top fundraisers in the Democratic Party, who outpaced Republicans last year. The campaign of New York Senator Clinton yesterday said she raised more than $100 million for the year, meaning she brought in at least $20 million in the fourth quarter.

Paul has drawn supporters with his libertarian message and his opposition to the war in Iraq, spurring a burst of donations on the Internet, the source of about 80 percent of the contributions last quarter, according to Paul spokesman Jesse Benton. In the three months through September, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani brought in the most contributions among Republicans, for a total of $11.5 million.

Presidential campaigns don't have to report fundraising figures until the end of January, though many give hints about their totals earlier than that. Arizona Senator John McCain, who's seeking the Republican presidential nomination, yesterday told reporters in New Hampshire that December was his best fundraising month since July. He gave no further details.

--------------------

Heh, this is amusing. What is the GOP going to do about RP, resurrect McCain out of the grave?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Paul can raise all the money he wants. He will never get the nomination.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Corbett

Just like you guys said he'll never break the margin of error in polls, he won't raise enough money.....

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
He has the funds - can he utilize the funds to actually get the support that will be needed to be more than a flash in the plan.

In the next 2 months, we will know. Up until then it is just speculation on both sides of the fence.

There was another RP that had the money, message but support never materialized.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
good luck :thumbsup:

I'm just looking forward to after the Iowa and NH primaries so we can put this issue to bed.

but personally, as a liberal, I'd love to see RP win the primary or run as an independent.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon

Just like you guys said he'll never break the margin of error in polls, he won't raise enough money.....

Care to pull up a quote of me saying that?

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
The only thing he can do is run as an Independent or Libertarian, which I think he will do. But he still won't win.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

No not you necessarily, but your clique. When I say your clique, I mean people who can't stand Ron Paul.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

No not you necessarily, but your clique. When I say your clique, I mean people who can't stand Ron Paul.

I don't remember reading that claim. There were statments about him being under the margin of error(which was very true at the time) but I didn't read anything about him never breaking it.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Pabster
It won't do him any good. Ron Paul is history in 2 days.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting a little tired of certain sets of posters being totally sure that certain candidates are finally dead when they themselves represent less than 30% if the electorate. And anytime anything remotely negative is found with their antiheroes, they are jonney on the spot reading their obituaries. And when that bit of news does not kill them off, a few days later they are back reading new obituaries for the same folks that they were sure were already dead.

While I am no Ron Paul fan, I think he is tapping a vein of support and his fund raising is very credible.

And Common Courtesy has it right when he points out---In the next 2 months, we will know. Up until then it is just speculation on both sides of the fence.

The other comment I wish to make is that even if Ron Paul does not win, his ideas may force
modifications of the thinking of mainstream parties and will resonate well past just campaign 08. And is very likely to inspire new generations of candidates to carry on the message even if Ron Paul himself cannot.

kedlav

Aug 2, 2006
fucking need a ron paul sticky so we don't have so many stupid attention whore threads about Paul. No one gives a shit about teh intarw3bz favorite candidate of the cycle

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: kedlav
fucking need a ron paul sticky so we don't have so many stupid attention whore threads about Paul. No one gives a shit about teh intarw3bz favorite candidate of the cycle

That's been proposed ALMOST as many times as there are RP threads, but it keeps getting shot down. Every new thread in "issues" gets immediately locked by a moderator.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

Well, you see the name Ron Paul in the thread title, then don't click on and read the thread - problem solved.....

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: UberNeuman

Well, you see the name Ron Paul in the thread title, then don't click on and read the thread - problem solved.....

:thumbsup: You would think these morons would have figured this out by now. <shrug>

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

:thumbsup: You would think these morons would have figured this out by now. <shrug>

In their defense I can think of one RP thread with a slightly misleading title. :eek:

:p

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Originally posted by: Pabster
It won't do him any good. Ron Paul is history in 2 days.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting a little tired of certain sets of posters being totally sure that certain candidates are finally dead when they themselves represent less than 30% if the electorate. And anytime anything remotely negative is found with their antiheroes, they are jonney on the spot reading their obituaries. And when that bit of news does not kill them off, a few days later they are back reading new obituaries for the same folks that they were sure were already dead.

While I am no Ron Paul fan, I think he is tapping a vein of support and his fund raising is very credible.

And Common Courtesy has it right when he points out---In the next 2 months, we will know. Up until then it is just speculation on both sides of the fence.

The other comment I wish to make is that even if Ron Paul does not win, his ideas may force
modifications of the thinking of mainstream parties and will resonate well past just campaign 08. And is very likely to inspire new generations of candidates to carry on the message even if Ron Paul himself cannot.

Next 2 months? Nope Paul will be done after Super Tuesday, Feb 5.

Paul better hope he beats out Thompson for 4th place in Iowa. If he doesnt he wont be in the NH ABC Debate.

To be apart of the debate, you have to finish in the top 4 in Iowa, poll in the top 4 in NH, or poll better than 10% nationally. Right now polls show Paul is 5th, 5th, and at 6%. All campaigns agreed to the stipulations of the ABC debate so if Paul is left out, there better not be any bitching.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Paul won't be around long enough to worry about that ABC debate. He's done in less than 48 hours.

OokiiNeko

Jun 14, 2003
There was another RP that had the money, message but support never materialized.
Wrong. Support fell apart when he pulled out. Up until that point, he was doing well.

QFT.

Paul won't be around long enough to worry about that ABC debate. He's done in less than 48 hours.

You work for Diebold?

:)

kedlav

Aug 2, 2006

Hi2U. Been there, tried that. Instead, I'm going to bitch about the RP bots in every RP thread.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Once again Pabster deludes himself with---Paul won't be around long enough to worry about that ABC debate. He's done in less than 48 hours.

We all have to understand that Ron Paul is a grass roots movement and even without being included in the NH debates, he has the money and support to go the distance. And events may break his way. Look at Ralph Nader whose ideas the dems ignored at their own peril as Nader almost certainly cost Gore the win in 2000.

The point being, totally maverick candidates like Ron Paul don't operate under the same set of rules that govern more traditional mainstream candidates who pander to the existing party power structure. They are revolutionaries pure plain and simple.

Given that most recent American elections are close to dead even, with GWB winning last time with only a few percentage point margin, even if Ron Paul support is as low as the 6%
Pabster claims, that is way more than enough to swing the election.

Ron Paul may not win but his ideas can't be ignored.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Nader's ideas had some impact for 30 years.

Some of Paul's ideas may also have an impact.

If the grass roots is as strong in 4 years, then the train may be affected (not derailed).

If this is a flash in the pan, then some-one has a quarter on the rails that is going to get flattened as a souvenir (in the old days, this was a penny).

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I love these threads if for no other reason than the fact that they get the extremists on both sides of the aisle all up in arms.

Neither of the 2 equally bad parties we have in this country want to see Paul or anyone like him be taken seriously in a run for the Presidency. Why? Because in the long run both of our "major" parties are no different than comparing Twinkies to Zingers. Yeah there is a slight difference in texture, but in the end they both leave you unsatisfied and feeling rotten inside.

Neither party wants real change for the good of the people. What they want is to maintain the status quo with a minor change here or there just to appear to be doing something when all they are really doing is perpetuating their power and continuing to screw the very people they are supposed to be serving.

You are just kidding yourself if you think Hillary, Huckabee, Romney, Thompson, Obama, etc, etc, etc...are the answer to fixing what ails this country. Not a single one of them have the balls to shake the political system up and tear it to its foundation so that it can be rebuilt.