Paul Krugman: Nobel Prize for Economics

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The first person I've looked to for analysis on economic issues is Paul Krugman.

He's a strong critic of Bush and right-wing economic policies, and a proponent of progressive policies.

He's done much to debunk many of the myths and errors of the right on econmics.

Congratulations to him for winning the Nobel Prize for 2008 in Economics.

I'd suggest this event get some people, especially on the right, to check out his writings.

His "The Conscience of a Liberal" would be a great pick.

On his book earlier this decade, "The Return of Depression Economics", a Publishers Weekly review said:

...confident assertions of happy globalizers and bullish day traders notwithstanding, a great depression could happen again. Depression economics is back, he argues, meaning that for the first time in two generations, failures on the demand side of the economy... have become the clear and present limitation on prosperity for a large part of the world. Whether discussing the currency collapse in Indonesia, the travails of Brazil and Russia (and how theyre related) or the failure of hedge funds such as Long Term Capital Management, Krugman writes with invigorating lucidity and forceful opinion. Now as in the 1930s, however, one cannot defend globalization merely by repeating free-market mantras, even as economy after economy crashes. If his message is dire, his tone is light, almost jaunty as he calls supply-side economics a crank doctrine and ably articulates a Keynsian willingness to regulate markets in order to stabilize economies and minimize human suffering.

What an important message for our world today, when economics has so much relevance to the well being of the human race, but is so little understood and so much abused.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
There is something fundamentally wrong with the nature of economics and politics, that being that economics are very important and very complex and yet dullards who know almost nothing of it vote in ways to affect its change. And I could be one of them (if I could vote). But isn't that terrible, that so many people who don't, for example, know what a variable tax rate means or an APR is and yet they hear a politician say something about some economic factor and then they vote because they assume it must be the right thing to do.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I have routinely posted threads based on Krugmans columns.
The guy has more brains in his pinky tha Laffer has in his whole body.
Congrats, Krugman