Patriotic Millionaires decend on Washington demanding to pay more taxes

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
So, do you support the budget proposal that has the fastest schedule for balancing the budget - and by the way, from the group who opposes the 'wars of choice'?

Referring to the progressives' people's budget.

Easy to find with a google.

The far left budget was taxing to fill the hole and zero cuts. You're missing the other half of the equation...

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
I'd call all faith blind, and idiotic.

But your faith is awesome. Double-awesome. Because it's in people... and they always do the... oh, what was it... the poop? Oh yeah, everyone poops.

My faith is in free people to, on the whole, make better personal choices with their own money that they earned themselves rather than the bureaucrats making those choices for them. Yup.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
My faith is in people to, on the whole, make better personal choices with their own money that they earned rather than the bureaucrats making those choices for them. Yup.

Wait... I think there's a problem... those bureaucrats are... OH MY GOD! they're people!

But I'm sure your faith in those other people is somehow less stupid faith.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
Wait... I think there's a problem... those bureaucrats are... OH MY GOD! they're people!

But I'm sure your faith in those other people is somehow less stupid faith.

But those people are spending OTHER people's money.
They're individuals making decisions for the collective.
Which is where the problem lies and is why we are in this mess.
Duhhhh!!!!

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Duhhhh!!!!

They're spending the money because they were elected by the people to do just that.

It's the system we have. You want a different one?

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
They're spending the money because they were elected by the people to do just that.

It's the system we have. You want a different one?

I want a system where bureaucrats and congressmen don't make decisions for others that individuals should be making themselves. Like where to "invest", what they should be buying, where economic resources should be going etc

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I want a system where bureaucrats and congressmen don't make decisions for others that individuals should be making themselves. Like where to "invest", what they should be buying, where economic resources should be going etc

Best of luck with your new political party. Or new country. Or wherever you think that's going to happen.

EDIT: I wanted to expand on this, because right there you've decided what other people "should" be doing. So your problem is that you're not the one making the rules/standards for everyone else to follow, which brings me back to you starting your own party and luck and all that.

Last edited:

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
Why should I reduce my use of goverment services?
I'm a net taxpayer, I give much more to the government than I use in their services or welfare. The government has created a monopoly on roads, you expect me to get around without using them?

And if I ever see a penny of my SS I would have payed MUCH more in than I will get out of whatever paltry SS check I get, so you better believe I'll be taking that too.

People who are net tax receivers and/or living off the government should be reducing their use of government services, not me.

I'm all for reducing spending on things that transfer wealth from some people to others, its theft.

These billoinaires are not using the same argument, they are complaining that they are not being taxed enough.
As Warren Buffet should, they should put their money where their mouth is and pay up.

You may be a net taxpayer today, but were you always? Have you tried to figure out the value of government services you've used vs what you've paid in cumulatively?

How much had you accumulated before you ever paid a cent in taxes (before your working life)?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Duhhhh!!!!

ummm yea, what jackstar7 said.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I'm convinced some right-wingers here, if prisoners in German concentration camps, would criticize the liberators who came to free them, worshiping their captors.

If they were slaves during the civil war, they'd volunteer to fight for the confederacy.

During our revolutionary war, the country was split between those for revolution and those for remaining under England. They'd be the latter.

Seek medical help please.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
]I want a system where bureaucrats and congressmen don't make decisions for others that individuals should be making themselves.[/B] Like where to "invest", what they should be buying, where economic resources should be going etc

Hey man can you share some of that shit you are smoking?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I wouldn't go so far as the first two statements, but the third is dead on.

That is a baffling response. Who is resisting increased taxation now? Who was resisting increased taxation then? How do you come to the same conclusion as fail234 that people resisting increase taxation today are the same as the loyalists back then?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That is a baffling response. Who is resisting increased taxation now? Who was resisting increased taxation then? How do you come to the same conclusion as fail234 that people resisting increase taxation today are the same as the loyalists back then?
Taxation without representation. Not increased taxation. That's the source of your problem right there.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Why should I reduce my use of goverment services?
I'm a net taxpayer, I give much more to the government than I use in their services or welfare. The government has created a monopoly on roads, you expect me to get around without using them?

And if I ever see a penny of my SS I would have payed MUCH more in than I will get out of whatever paltry SS check I get, so you better believe I'll be taking that too.

People who are net tax receivers and/or living off the government should be reducing their use of government services, not me.

I'm all for reducing spending on things that transfer wealth from some people to others, its theft.

These billoinaires are not using the same argument, they are complaining that they are not being taxed enough.
As Warren Buffet should, they should put their money where their mouth is and pay up.

That would eliminate government since all they do is tap and distribute. 100%. Govt doesn't make money without taxing.

Everyone believes that government at some level is good in their redistribution schemes, now all we have to do is decide how we gonna pay for it. It makes most sense to go to where it exists.

Last edited:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by dmcowen674
a band of millionaires stormed Capitol Hill on Wednesday

how many "stormed" capitol hill saying "tax me more, tax me more, tax me more" lol

The article I found said a band, here is another article that said it was 24.

11-17-2011

http://dailycaller.com/2011/11/17/p...-but-unwilling-to-pay-up-video/#ixzz1dzJONwaq

Washington — Two dozen “patriotic millionaires” traveled to the Capitol on Wednesday to demand that Congress raise taxes on wealthy Americans.

The Daily Caller attended their press conference with an iPad, which displayed the Treasury Department’s donation page, to find out if any of the “patriotic millionaires” were willing to put their money where their mouth is.
[COLOR=green !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=green !important][FONT=inherit !important]Watch[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] video: