Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Omg, the skill tree is INSANE. I just made it to act 3, level 24 witch. Played about 2. 5 hours or so. I died once to those crazy saws in the floor in some dungeon. My thoughts so far is that u like it - the gameplay is identical to D2 when that came out. Everyone partied up to run through stuff. I'm not sure if there are common type runs (like people ran bloody foothills at first, mephisto runs, pindle, etc) just for items or not. I'm glad the trade channel is back. I'm glad pvp is a thing.

All of the good stuff they got rid of from D2 in D3 just ran me away. It was really bad. Pvp in D2 was great. Hardcore in D2 was great because of pvp. It made you stay on your toes and not feel safe all the time. But yea... I really enjoy this. The learning curve seems huge. There's just so much different stuff even though the gameplay is so similar. I have so many questions it's not even funny. I'm hitting the sack though, so I'll continue this tomorrow

My char name is AgentCraka

The skill tree is overwhelming at first, but it ends being a lot simpler once you get an understanding of what you need in all characters. Defenses are paramount. You do zero DPS when you're dead. Most of it is stats, offense, or defense.

The real learning curve is how skills synergies with other skills and supports in the best way. That's the real learning curve.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
The skill tree is overwhelming at first, but it ends being a lot simpler once you get an understanding of what you need in all characters. Defenses are paramount. You do zero DPS when you're dead. Most of it is stats, offense, or defense.

The real learning curve is how skills synergies with other skills and supports in the best way. That's the real learning curve.

I'm sure it will - just like anything. There's so many little items that I have no idea what they're for - orbs/coins/green items/jewels/gems/etc. Lots to learn for sure.

BTW - When do they typically reset the league/ladder? I've read every 3 months, but don't know exactly what month those are.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Depends on the event. Leagues are generally 3 months, but there are longer and shorter ones. This current league is over in like 4 weeks I think. GGG is pretty good about content updates too. So, 2.4 is going to bring new things right as the next league starts.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Just be prepared to brick wall your first (few) characters because the learning curve is LONG in this game.

I have over 2000 hours and I still learn new things with every character.

Let me know your character name and I can guild invite you!

I can not recommend enough messing around with a character or two, hit the brick wall with them and then finding a "beginners" build and following it. AND understanding it.

Reactions: z1ggy

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I'd recommend following beginners guides until you understand enough to venture on your own. Otherwise, the difficulty will severely ramp up.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I am loving my Rolling Flames fireball build, in combination with Frost wall is pure awesomeness. :)

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
5 Toons now this season and all 5 rip in cruel lab on PHC. All betwen lvl 65-79....guess I need to play in SC to get this **^%$%^$* lab figured out. I can't stand SC though...oh well. Off to the next game til act 5 and hope they completely remove the pos lab. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
If you're ripping in cruel lab, it means either your build is complete shit or you're being a moron and suiciding to traps.

Cruel lab is a level 55 zone. Traps are all avoidable and none are capable of oneshotting any character.

How do you get through normal lab? The traps are the same.

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
you're being a moron and suiciding to traps.

This :\ I have over 2000 hours into this game too (Mostly before Acsendancy)....it's just an off league for me....lol...it happens I guess. Once it was to Izaro with just stupid postioning...the other times it was trying to rush through a trap area and getting caught. All toons were casters with low phys reduction but I still have played enough to know better...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I don't believe phys reduction even helps on the traps.

And, lab isn't a race unless you're specifically built to race it.

Last edited:

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
% phys mitigation like kintsugi, endurance charges, etc work on traps. Same rules as degens.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Well ... as I posted above, being a prior D2 fanatic and after a week of PoE, I can say I'm into it.

First char was witch/elementalist. I went with an incinerate/FS build and currently sitting @ lvl 74 in A4 Merc. I haven't really gotten to understanding a few things yet:

1) Crafting. This seems like the way to go for ridiculous items since you can re-roll/re-socket/customize items a lot (unlike D2). There's so many orbs that have their own crafting ability, and I need to understand more of what a typical combination is ... starting with a white item. The problem there is: (see #3 below).

2) Currency/Worth of items. It's cool being new to a game where you're still learning, but this is an area that is a must. I'm using certain guides to see what items they're using, etc... but knowing what makes an item worth something is necessary for trading and obviously improving your char. The obvious ones are max life and resist, but it seems there's a lot to learn in this area....

3) Learning the levels of all the armor/weaps. Holy hell are there a bunch. This was second nature in D2, but I also spent a hell of a lot more time on that game. I guess this will just come with time. I don't want to craft a lower quality item when/if there's better out there. AFAIK, Vaal items are pretty high? I also see everyone pick up white leather belts ... which is weird, because I know there's better/higher quality belts out there. What am I missing?

4) Spells/Tree. IT'S SO BIG! Again ... time.

I want to get all this stuff out of the way (now) before the next league starts. That way I'm ready to roll whenever that time comes.

So, who wants to play later? :D

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Well ... as I posted above, being a prior D2 fanatic and after a week of PoE, I can say I'm into it.

First char was witch/elementalist. I went with an incinerate/FS build and currently sitting @ lvl 74 in A4 Merc. I haven't really gotten to understanding a few things yet:

1) Crafting. This seems like the way to go for ridiculous items since you can re-roll/re-socket/customize items a lot (unlike D2). There's so many orbs that have their own crafting ability, and I need to understand more of what a typical combination is ... starting with a white item. The problem there is: (see #3 below).

2) Currency/Worth of items. It's cool being new to a game where you're still learning, but this is an area that is a must. I'm using certain guides to see what items they're using, etc... but knowing what makes an item worth something is necessary for trading and obviously improving your char. The obvious ones are max life and resist, but it seems there's a lot to learn in this area....

3) Learning the levels of all the armor/weaps. Holy hell are there a bunch. This was second nature in D2, but I also spent a hell of a lot more time on that game. I guess this will just come with time. I don't want to craft a lower quality item when/if there's better out there. AFAIK, Vaal items are pretty high? I also see everyone pick up white leather belts ... which is weird, because I know there's better/higher quality belts out there. What am I missing?

4) Spells/Tree. IT'S SO BIG! Again ... time.

I want to get all this stuff out of the way (now) before the next league starts. That way I'm ready to roll whenever that time comes.

So, who wants to play later? :D

1) Crafting is in a poor state atm. Besides jewelers (changes sockets), fusings (changes links), and the alteration / chaos spamming on item, nothing else is really worth using. Crafting isn't something you should embark on until way later in the game. The end game crafting (using exalted orbs) generally has no returns. An exalted orb is worth far more in currency than what you're likely to craft with it.

2) It takes a bit of a feel. Poe.trade is also a good place to look up around the stats of your items to find if they are worth something. This is a video by one of the top streamers about price checking items, and it can help give you a general idea of worth as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDtukG7HAgw When it comes to gear, defense and then damage is generally the order of important.

3) White leather belts are in a special place because there is a very rare belt you can chance orb in a certain area. You're probably better off not bothering with worry about this unless you want to scrounge a little currency (white leather belts are like 6 to 1 chaos if you want to sell them). As far as other items, there are a few top end items you'd want to be looking at to craft, and even then, the item level has a lot to do with it. exilemods.com lists the possible suffixes and prefixes aavailable on item at which iLvl.

4) Skill gems are a lot about what feels good for you. While, some are way better than others, playing builds that aren't fun (bladefall poison trap...) just isn't fun. If you find something you like, go with it. The tree is about a balance between what key stones you need and what is the most efficient path to maximize your damage and defense on the way. It takes some getting used to, but you'll get there with time. There are quite a few build planners out there that will help you. Most builds should be "finished" at around level 85. Also, almost always help Oak in Normal. Unless you're going for something that isn't life based.

Also, melee is in a fairly poor state atm. Namelocking means only a few skills are truly viable options to not feel extra clunky and those aren't the funnest. It's novel at first to use EQ and explode everything, but grinding to 100 with this is going to be tough.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Good info. Appreciate it!

At this point I'm not sure if it's worth more to keep going with the witch and learn what I can there, or to start a new char (from what I've seen, rangers are ridiculously stacked) and learn a new path/new spells/new items that way.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Each class has very strong variations that work. It's probably worth sticking with the first until you get a better idea of things then rerolling to a new class. You may also want to join the AT guild (if you haven't already).