Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
are... are you playing a build with zero movespeed from tree or boots?

Why would you EVER do that to yourself unless you're using whirling blades?

I think we found the problem. Get yourself some boots with 20-30% runspeed on them because playing the game without some basic runspeed is genuinely awful. This isn't "you need a special build", this is "why would you ever want to be slow?". Endgame is balanced around certain levels of damage, survivability, and yes, mobility. How you reach those threshholds is up to you.

Also, the pack of mobs is a blue pack, they should be dead within a few seconds maximum.

Point the 1st: I'm fairly sure the map mods of "faster casting bosses" or some such was effecting the beam, it was moving faster than I see in various yuotube videos. I am wearing move speed boots, it wasn't fast enough when I couldn't run in a straight line due to void zones with the map mods on the map.

Point the 2nd: After search for "malformation piety" on youtube, I've watched 4 videos worth of attempts. Basically, the top 4 results for that search. 0/4 videos show the player actually avoid the beam 100% of the time. None of them. These are streamers who do this stuff for money and they can't avoid the beam, it seems it's not as easy as you are trying to imply.

Point the 3rd: I can't stress this enough: a hard fight is fine if there is some reward involved to make it worthwhile. Oops, they forgot that part. Any other T9 map boss I can kill in my sleep, without move gear or changing out my gems. Even if I could kill piety without dying a single time, why would I ever bother when I could instead do a different T9 map and roll some "dangerous" map mods, enjoy greater IIQ IIR, and still have an easier time with the whole thing?

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
For shiggles, I clicked a couple of the first results of "malformation piety" on youtube. The videos are either characters that are COMICALLY tanky (nearly 9K HP with an aegis aurora block capped build tanking double laser and every mob in the room) or deliberately stack multiple mechanics to allow tanking the laser (CWDT Immortal Call, Staunching flasks).

Stacking defensive mechanics is a good idea in general. However, if you don't want to stack defensive mechanics to survive avoidable heavy hits, you need to avoid those hits. This is how every video game ever has always worked.

I don't know why this is even a discussion, let alone one we've had before... (see post 442-453 in this very thread)

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I was referring to Brutus, and the bandits, weaver, as well as Hillock. There are also some other bosses that were nearly mandatory, such as Fidelitas- you could theoretically run past him for the quest item but I've never not killed him. They are indeed "bosses" by any definition of the term.

If you look up "champion monsters", to use your term, what do you see in the list? Ah, merviel and vaal oversoul, in addition to all the above bosses. "Just" champion monsters, doesn't mean much- all the bosses in the campaign are champion monsters.

You could survive it in normal *easily*. It didn't do 5k. By the time you got to merciless, you probably did have 5k hp, and a granite flask of 100% increased armor, and it still wasn't impossible survive if you wanted to try. Of course by then you already beat it 3 times in the previous difficulties, so you had lots of practice dodging the slam.

Not sure if you have ever done map piety based on this comment. She spawned for me with a pack of mobs, and in addition to the spinning beam of death she put a lot of red death spots on the ground. Some overlapped, at some points during the fight it wasn't actually possible to circle all around her without hitting red splotches and the pack of mobs was also interfering with your movement.

As someone suggested, I guess if you have whirling blades and can pass through the beam harmlessly it's pretty trivial, but if that isn't your build you are just out of luck. And for what? 5 random rares, maybe a map if you are lucky? Rather just skip her and do a map with a normal boss.

Sorry I didn't respond for a while...
But I don't need to argue semantics with you. Fine, you're right, there were tons of bosses in the game at that time. My original point was directed towards when mapping was implemented so our argument over boss vs champion is pointless and I'm disappointed I let you distract the conversation.

I did not say he did 5K on normal... You're also wrong about the 5K health on an Act 2 merc character. I'm sure it's possible but it rarely happens, even back then...

Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. I already told you I don't run this map if I have a choice. It's not that I can't do it. I've done the map fight over 20 times... It's the fact that if I mis-click or hit a lag spike it will kill me. That's too risky for certain characters so I don't run it.

If you want to run it Jax has already give you the advice you need. You have to have move speed or be good with a movement skill. You have to be able to tank the "red blobs" while you dodge the beam because they will hit you at some point. If you can do that then you can kill her.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
For shiggles, I clicked a couple of the first results of "malformation piety" on youtube. The videos are either characters that are COMICALLY tanky (nearly 9K HP with an aegis aurora block capped build tanking double laser and every mob in the room) or deliberately stack multiple mechanics to allow tanking the laser (CWDT Immortal Call, Staunching flasks).

I didn't mention youtube to point out people could survive the beam, I mentioned youtube because I tried to confirm your "lol easy fight just run circles" statement. It's funny that, if it's such an easy fight, NOBODY has a single video posted of this amazing successful "run in circles" strategy of yours. Care to download OBS and make a video yourself? Remember, it's a level 76 map, no cheating using a end-game geared/leveled character. Show me how easy it is to do when with a character who just reached the appropriate level in a new league.

I don't know why this is even a discussion, let alone one we've had before... (see post 442-453 in this very thread)

If you die to non-twinned malformation piety, it's because you're bad. Run in circles win fight.

So, you decided it would be a good idea to respond as above,"run in circles win fight" - implying it's a joke and nobody should have trouble with it... yet you knew the topic has already been brought up because the boss is so ridiculously hard, earlier in this very thread? Isn't that the very definition of trolling? If you wanted the topic to die, you shouldn't have responded as you did. Whatever, I have said my part. I believe you are lying when you say it's an easy fight, but I'm sure you won't offer proof so there is no point in continuing.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. I already told you I don't run this map if I have a choice. It's not that I can't do it. I've done the map fight over 20 times... It's the fact that if I mis-click or hit a lag spike it will kill me. That's too risky for certain characters so I don't run it.

You really think that is reasonable? For a game with a strong push for hardcore play, a fight where momentary lag = instant death when you are playing 100% perfectly is unreasonable to me.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
You really think that is reasonable? For a game with a strong push for hardcore play, a fight where momentary lag = instant death when you are playing 100% perfectly is unreasonable to me.

It's that way in every game...
It certainly isn't something I'm thrilled about , but if you want a game where players have to pay attention then any disconnect from the server will heavily impact the player.
I think of my 100 or so hardcore deaths over 70 have been lag related. It might even be higher than that...

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
That's actually pretty shitty. Poe has a weird defense scheme. Not saying I hate it but its kinda crap.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
What... do you think is an "appropriate level" for a 76 map?

Because I'll give you a hint, it's not 76. It's 86+.

By level 86 you better damn well have some endgame gear or you're doing something very, very wrong.

If I ever get one of the maps to drop, sure, I can make a video. She's fucking easy.

Unfortunately map drops when not in large parties in this game are still the worst thing about it, so the only T9s I have are from buying from level 7 Zana. I just wound up leveling more characters because I can't sustain T9 maps.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

Because I'll give you a hint, it's not 76. It's 86+.

By level 86 you better damn well have some endgame gear or you're doing something very, very wrong.

If I ever get one of the maps to drop, sure, I can make a video. She's fucking easy.

Unfortunately map drops when not in large parties in this game are still the worst thing about it, so the only T9s I have are from buying from level 7 Zana. I just wound up leveling more characters because I can't sustain T9 maps.

T9s are super cheap, we're talking less than a chaos each. It's worth buying them.

Runequest2

Jun 14, 2000
you get 18 refund points from quests

if things are messed up more than that, then you'll either have to use Orb of Regrets, start a new char, or wait for GGG to release a patch that changes something your build uses and you'll might get a complete respec then

Sadly this is why I will never go back to POE.

Until they allow respecs so you can play around with specs without a ton of grinding to fix mistakes the game is not playable for me.

I keep hoping at some point they will make that change.

I am sure glad I never tossed some money at them back in the day since in leveling I realized I hated their talent system without respecs.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003

I have no problem in underground river, even with double boss, at 84... and every other map I tried, with the exception of the malformation boss.

Are the other 90% of the maps too easy, or is malformation boss too hard?

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I have no problem in underground river, even with double boss, at 84... and every other map I tried, with the exception of the malformation boss.

Are the other 90% of the maps too easy, or is malformation boss too hard?

It's extremely hard... But let me ask you some things...
Is Brutus too hard in Dungeon?
Is Kole too hard in Collonade?
Is Dominus too hard in Residence, Palace?
Is the Crematorium boss too hard?
How about Museum or Academy?
The Spider in Jungle Valley?
The Volcano boss?

These are all bosses that I've done, but I skip on some if not all of my characters. Some are bad match-ups, some are just scary.
I have a character on standard that can face tank all of these depending on the map mods, but part of the game is learning the bosses and how the mods combine to manage your risk in fights.

I think we all agree that Malformation Piety is really difficult. But I can kill her before I can do the Jungle Valley Spider in a new league. So the bosses are really all over the map. If you're stuck on needing linear progression then this game does a really poor job of catering to you :-(

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Sadly this is why I will never go back to POE.

Until they allow respecs so you can play around with specs without a ton of grinding to fix mistakes the game is not playable for me.

I keep hoping at some point they will make that change.

I am sure glad I never tossed some money at them back in the day since in leveling I realized I hated their talent system without respecs.

This is not a reason to leave PoE.
It's very easy and fun to level a new character.
There are regret orbs and respec points to fix mistakes.
There are free respecs given almost every 3 months.

If you don't think that's enough then you have another choice too!
You can use the planners to plan out your build before or even just go to the forums and copy an already successful build.

Seriously though, this is like the worst reason to avoid PoE

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
It's extremely hard... But let me ask you some things...
Is Brutus too hard in Dungeon?
Is Kole too hard in Collonade?
Is Dominus too hard in Residence, Palace?
Is the Crematorium boss too hard?
How about Museum or Academy?
The Spider in Jungle Valley?
The Volcano boss?

Brutus was hard, but doable. Never got instant killed from one hit, if he killed me it was because I didn't flask properly or because I stayed in too long.

Kole seemed easy, didn't even think of it as a "hard" fight at the time.

I haven't seen a residence/palace map yet.

Nor crematorium.

Museum and Academy were on the harder end of map bosses, but still doable, no instant kills.

Jungle Valley boss was impossible for me to kill because of a lack of real AOE and the infinite trash respawn, but portaling out was still an option. It certainly didn't kill me in one hit.

Haven't seen volcano boss, but it sounds like something that is hard because it has specific gearing requirements (over-capped resists to deal with it's elemental equilibrium).

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Brutus was hard, but doable. Never got instant killed from one hit, if he killed me it was because I didn't flask properly or because I stayed in too long.

Kole seemed easy, didn't even think of it as a "hard" fight at the time.

I haven't seen a residence/palace map yet.

Nor crematorium.

Museum and Academy were on the harder end of map bosses, but still doable, no instant kills.

Jungle Valley boss was impossible for me to kill because of a lack of real AOE and the infinite trash respawn, but portaling out was still an option. It certainly didn't kill me in one hit.

Haven't seen volcano boss, but it sounds like something that is hard because it has specific gearing requirements (over-capped resists to deal with it's elemental equilibrium).

What kind of character are you running?

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Witch, with 4 link arc, life/armor based with blood magic. Elementalist ascension. I just recently got the ascension power where my spells spread elemental effects automatically, so that serves as some level of fake AOE, might be able to do the jungle valley boss easier.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Witch, with 4 link arc, life/armor based with blood magic. Elementalist ascension. I just recently got the ascension power where my spells spread elemental effects automatically, so that serves as some level of fake AOE, might be able to do the jungle valley boss easier.

Are you using the blood magic gem or the keystone from the tree?

The reason I ask is that a 4-link is pretty rough if you're doing T9 maps and such, and if you're using a Blood magic gem then you're essentially on a 3-link.