Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 53 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
So I'm doing one more map early this morning, doing a Crypts map with surprisingly good drops. I come across the fat guy and figure "yet another crappy offer" but was I wrong-Vaults of Atziri map for 155 coins! Ran one more map later, he offered five orbs of fusing for 4 coins. Maybe today is the day to talk to him, who knows.

BTW if anyone wants to party with me on the Vault map send me a PM. I think it would be a fun guild thing to do. Probably will do it some evening (US East time) later this week.

The best offers from the fat man are usually currency. I picked up 5 fusings the other day for like 55 coins. Then another time it was 5 Orbs of Regret for about the same.

I can do Vaults with you if you want with my MF toon. I think the 350IIR whatever my IIQ is would help?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Vaults is just a loot grab. Kinda boring really.

Smack: Hezmana axe > Kaom's. Free blood magic for attacks, slightly more phys damage.

Didn't realize it was so cheap this league!

Also, vaults is probably worth selling than running. People want the card, which you won't get. ^_^

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Wow, so much better damage once I hit 32 and can use cyclone. Spin and win my friends. Gotta actually do the library for blood magic now. =(

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Booyah, bought a 5L carcass jack yesterday and then got a decently high rolled one today that I six linked in no time flat. 6 sockets in 13 Jewelers and 6 link in under 100 fuses.

Burned down atziri twice easily before the 6L. I guess time to slowly invest into upgrades.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Booyah, bought a 5L carcass jack yesterday and then got a decently high rolled one today that I six linked in no time flat. 6 sockets in 13 Jewelers and 6 link in under 100 fuses.

Burned down atziri twice easily before the 6L. I guess time to slowly invest into upgrades.

Nice!

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
so I officially have a reroll problem, I keep making new characters, leveling to the 70 range, then having an awesome new build idea and repeating the process.

Decided to just invest in a character and go with it. Bought a windripper and a +1 arrows Drillneck, I just love elemental archers too much to stick with other builds.

Currently doing 4k DPS in normal with storm cloud and Drillneck and haven't died yet LOL.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Yeah I think I'm sticking with this chaos ice trapper for a bit. Cleared some eight mod T13s.

Dunno if I wanna plop down 1ex each for four high end jewels.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Yeah I think I'm sticking with this chaos ice trapper for a bit. Cleared some eight mod T13s.

Dunno if I wanna plop down 1ex each for four high end jewels.

Your ICE Trapper is Insane.... I couldn't believe how incredible the DMG is... I am tempted to run it myself now. :eek:

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
so I officially have a reroll problem, I keep making new characters, leveling to the 70 range, then having an awesome new build idea and repeating the process.

Decided to just invest in a character and go with it. Bought a windripper and a +1 arrows Drillneck, I just love elemental archers too much to stick with other builds.

Currently doing 4k DPS in normal with storm cloud and Drillneck and haven't died yet LOL.

I am looking forward to finally starting a Voltaxic but need to farm for funds. :D

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

"that I six linked in no time flat" is the part that stuns me. I've burned through countless fusings without ever successfully linking a six socket item. Congrats!

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
"that I six linked in no time flat" is the part that stuns me. I've burned through countless fusings without ever successfully linking a six socket item. Congrats!

I've only even linked two, a white Eva chest I still have and a Shavs I found. I guess o used up all my luck with that last one. =(

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
His example of 6 linking an item is beyond rare.

Some spend over 1000-2000 to get it... others just save for the 1500.

Yeah. There is speculation based on what Chris has said, the true average for a 6L is under the Vorici cost. I think community reports (which you may take with a grain of salt, or a bucket full) is around 900.

Though, this is before they changed the 20 quality formula. It was supposed to "more than double" the chances, but now it is less by some degree and doesn't get consumed.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
My next project is going to be to get a +1 curse amulet with life, mana regen, and at least one decent resistance.

Apparently the +1 corruption chance is 1% so I need to buy a bunch of 1-2 c ammmys and grind away.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I'm playing softcore, since I don't have the time I used to have to devout to hardcore, but after beating cruel Malachai for the second time, I am wondering how the hell do people do it in hardcore?

Sure, I am a little lacking on some resists and such because it is softcore and I don't care enough, but certain attacks are literally killing me in seconds before I can even move, while his HP seems to last forever. I died some 10 times trying to kill him, and only won because of attrition. If I was building for durability to not get 1shot, it seems like it would take literally hours of DPSing to down him because I'd have to sacrifice so much to go tanky.

Yet.. after that 'nightmare' of a fight, merciless is a total joke. Hillock dies faster than the blue trash mobs in belly of the beast. WTF is up with this difficulty balance? It is just maddening, because I'd *like* to play a generally challenging game, but in order to have any chance at all of killing malachai, I end up being super over-leveled and the other 4/5th of the game is a snore fest.

Right now, I am assuming hardcore malachai is simply one of those things you get super over-leveled for, and then do it with 4 friends and just evac out a portal the second you get low and come back, I can't imagine doing it any other way... or you pay some dude 1chaos to kill him for you.

Is there some super secret tech I am missing that trivializes the fight?

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
I'm playing softcore, since I don't have the time I used to have to devout to hardcore, but after beating cruel Malachai for the second time, I am wondering how the hell do people do it in hardcore?

Sure, I am a little lacking on some resists and such because it is softcore and I don't care enough, but certain attacks are literally killing me in seconds before I can even move, while his HP seems to last forever. I died some 10 times trying to kill him, and only won because of attrition. If I was building for durability to not get 1shot, it seems like it would take literally hours of DPSing to down him because I'd have to sacrifice so much to go tanky.

Yet.. after that 'nightmare' of a fight, merciless is a total joke. Hillock dies faster than the blue trash mobs in belly of the beast. WTF is up with this difficulty balance? It is just maddening, because I'd *like* to play a generally challenging game, but in order to have any chance at all of killing malachai, I end up being super over-leveled and the other 4/5th of the game is a snore fest.

Right now, I am assuming hardcore malachai is simply one of those things you get super over-leveled for, and then do it with 4 friends and just evac out a portal the second you get low and come back, I can't imagine doing it any other way... or you pay some dude 1chaos to kill him for you.

Is there some super secret tech I am missing that trivializes the fight?

I play hardcore exclusively, how I deal with bosses mostly depends on my build. For the most part, in any build, I will spend the majority of my passives on survivability until about level 50-60. This makes me pretty much unkillable through normal/cruel, and with a few cheap leveling uniques my dps is just fine. This works better for some builds than others though, since some skills scale better than others through gem levels alone (or have good options for support gems that can boost dps). Also some builds just don't have much in the way of good leveling uniques.

I find that archers are really great for leveling in hardcore. There are a lot of good low and mid level bows and quivers that are very cheap, and skills like split arrow, lightning arrow, and blast rain have great dps without having to spend hardly any passives in damage nodes. On the character I'm playing now, I spent less than 10 passive points on damage nodes up through level 70, and all of those were taken simply because they were on my path to the next set of defensive nodes. I had no problems mowing through everything in my path all the way through merciless. My dps started to fall behind once I started mapping, but that was mostly because I had no 5-links yet and I was saving up my currency for a Voltaxic - once I got that I was back to ripping things to shreds.

That said, some builds don't have it so easy. Any build can make their way through the game going fully defensive, but some will have sub-par dps leading to slower clear speeds. For those builds I'll usually take a lot more early damage nodes so I can level at a decent speed, but since my defenses are much weaker I'll just shell out the currency to have someone kill the more dangerous bosses for me.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
So finally the Ventor rings have started to pay off. :)
I got a near perfect Consuming dark to drop and sold it for 70c and a belt for another 10c.
Also small bits and pieces and converting Fusings into Chaos, which helped cover back
the 100c I spent on the 2 Ventor rings and now funds are back up to around 175c :).