Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I'm at 44... working my way to the Witch INT start position from the Lightning Walker spot to Occultist's Dominion where I will get the 5 spell damage for another 58% spell damage. Following that I will get Storm Weaver for another 43% lightning damage and then resume my path to Light of Divinity and Elementalist from where I will head towards Celestial Judgement. That will take me around 30 more points... and I've another 4 I need for another very short path for 20% more spell damage and 26% elemental damage.

My concern is health... I'm way too low and I don't know how many points I'll have left once I'm done for that. I might have ~20 stat points left for health which I hope will be enough.

You might want to slightly rethink how many dps nodes you will take.
You need to find balance otherwise you will just get frustrated as you enter merciless.
I suggest finding other builds similar to yours and see where they added HP nodes etc. Maybe you can take a slightly different route and I would suggest fixing it now rather than later.

You need at a minimum around 4k+ hp mid through Merciless, preferably 4.5-5k if you can get some good gear, including enough Health nodes.
A rule of thumb I try and follow is to have at least 60-70 + to Maximum Life per armour piece.

You've fallen into the same trap that I always do -- and XiandreX yells at me for. You've been tempted too much by DPS and not by health/survivability!

Make sure you get some health/evasion nodes as well!!!

As a wise man once said, "When you're dead, your DPS is 0"

I don't exactly yell lol. I encourage firmly :)
Jax actually is also a firm believer in Surviving first, Dps second. :cool:

Last edited:

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I see health mentioned a lot but what about energy shield? Should I ignore that and concentrate purely on health?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I see health mentioned a lot but what about energy shield? Should I ignore that and concentrate purely on health?

Energy shield generally requires either CI or some kind of chaos damage mitigation (as it ignores ES and directly takes from health, so Shavronne's Wraps are great for it). It is far easier for most to focus on health, as it can be stacked from gear and you don't need something like Shav's to worry about chaos damage.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
NEVER make your first character an energy shield character: you won't have the funds to buy the gear from other players to make it not suck, and self-found ES characters are crap.

First character always = life based, you can use that to fund an ES character later if you want.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Found a Soul Taker axe the other night.
Put no poe.trade for 2Ex
Sold quickly.

I know it was worth more unidentified... after I ID'ed it :(

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
You still made 2EX lol

Oh yeah I'm not complaining.
I should have sold for more though -- the minute that thing hit my shop, I was getting people wanting to buy it.

That being said, now I have 2EX and not much to spend it on. I have good 5L gear, and even base 6L gear is 4EX+

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
poe.trade, all that is used for is finding items right, you can't buy directly there? (I find it so weird how they have no market in game) I started a Maurauder who is following a very high HP build this time, but I want a nice 2 hander that'll serve me for a long time.

Level'ing slows down a lot once you beat normal mode, I'm used to Diablo 3 so here I just start a new toon and never get to the hardest mode so I'm no doubt missing out

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
poe.trade, all that is used for is finding items right, you can't buy directly there? (I find it so weird how they have no market in game) I started a Maurauder who is following a very high HP build this time, but I want a nice 2 hander that'll serve me for a long time.

Level'ing slows down a lot once you beat normal mode, I'm used to Diablo 3 so here I just start a new toon and never get to the hardest mode so I'm no doubt missing out

poe.trade lets you search for items that people have for sale.
You can then whisper them in-game that you want to buy the item (there's a button to click right poe.trade that will copy the canned message to paste into your POE chat window)

Once they agree to sell, you join their party, go to their hideout and do the trade.

I always only search for people that are "online".

Leveling goes pretty quick in Cruel mode too.
Merciless, especially if you die, takes a long ass time between levels. I think my favorite span is the end of Cruel, start of Merciless. It's generally where where your character makes that final turn towards their full potential both from attributes and gear. Once you hit maps too, that's the best part.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Just started up poe for the first time in a looooong ass time. All these mechanics and things in game are new.

Started messing around with a new scion in talisman but just seeing that the league ends in march. Gonna jump on an old 61 witch on standard and play around.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
By the way, I have an extra, unidentified Rigwald's Crest is anyone needs it for the challenges.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
poe.trade lets you search for items that people have for sale.
You can then whisper them in-game that you want to buy the item (there's a button to click right poe.trade that will copy the canned message to paste into your POE chat window)

Once they agree to sell, you join their party, go to their hideout and do the trade.

I always only search for people that are "online".

Leveling goes pretty quick in Cruel mode too.
Merciless, especially if you die, takes a long ass time between levels. I think my favorite span is the end of Cruel, start of Merciless. It's generally where where your character makes that final turn towards their full potential both from attributes and gear. Once you hit maps too, that's the best part.

My Build only becomes the build when I hit level 65. I need the Consuming Dark dagger + Infernal Mantle so I can convert my Fire Dmg Freezing pulse to full Chaos dmg. At that point it will wreck, the DPS improvement should be vast.
I need more Exalts lol, the Consuming dark starts at 1EX and Maligaros gloves also start at around 1Ex.
Saving up Currency to 5L an infernal Mantle. :)

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Skip maligaro's gloves, get a facebreaker instead.

They're dirt cheap and have more crit multi than maligaro's gloves (no crit chance but that's far less important).

They're like 95% as good as maligaro's for caster builds (about 80% for attack builds due to the attack speed on maligaro's actually being used)

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Anyone in a decent guild with open arms? I'm planning on playing some more standard with my necro summoner for a bit but gonna try jumping on the ascendancy hard core train as much as my work will allow, which isn't too much.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Skip maligaro's gloves, get a facebreaker instead.

They're dirt cheap and have more crit multi than maligaro's gloves (no crit chance but that's far less important).

They're like 95% as good as maligaro's for caster builds (about 80% for attack builds due to the attack speed on maligaro's actually being used)

I picked up a pair of Facebreaks and the Dps improvement was decent.

On a side note. I am trying to buy an Infernal Mantle 5L 3B2G and not many showing up.
I am tempted to buy different colours and try to roll the correct but most are 6 sockets, 5L and I am nervous as I tend to have bad luck.

Anyone in a decent guild with open arms? I'm planning on playing some more standard with my necro summoner for a bit but gonna try jumping on the ascendancy hard core train as much as my work will allow, which isn't too much.

We have a very low key, casual guild. Homer would have to invite :)

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
So what's with the targeting in PoE? Did I change a setting or something because my targeting is off, it's nearly impossible to click on something to attack, I have to target at a specific point that's almost off the target.... I can't click something directly.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
My Build only becomes the build when I hit level 65. I need the Consuming Dark dagger + Infernal Mantle so I can convert my Fire Dmg Freezing pulse to full Chaos dmg. At that point it will wreck, the DPS improvement should be vast.
I need more Exalts lol, the Consuming dark starts at 1EX and Maligaros gloves also start at around 1Ex.
Saving up Currency to 5L an infernal Mantle. :)

Holy cow!!! I just hit 65 and the Consuming Dark + 5L Infernal Mantle combo
has doubled my Dps.
With only a level 16 Freezing pulse I am already at almost 15k dps, and thats without power charges, flasks or the poison stack. :eek:

Last edited:

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
So what's with the targeting in PoE? Did I change a setting or something because my targeting is off, it's nearly impossible to click on something to attack, I have to target at a specific point that's almost off the target.... I can't click something directly.

Not exactly sure what your issue is, but I think if you map the skill to your right click button it will work better for you. Some melee skills may still misfire, but your ranged attacks and spells should work perfectly fine.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Rolling 3B2G on an infernal mantle should be trivial. 25 chromes and you'll likely get it within 3 tries (probably first try tbh), and the vorici crafts place the "guaranteed" colors at the top of the item, so as long as your mantle is 5L+1L instead of 1L+5L, you should be good.

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
What are some games that are like Path of Exile that are either out now or to be released soon? I have close to 2000 hours into Path of Exile and am ready for the next game...there has got to be another game comparable right? :)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
What are some games that are like Path of Exile that are either out now or to be released soon? I have close to 2000 hours into Path of Exile and am ready for the next game...there has got to be another game comparable right? :)

Not really. Diablo 3 and Torch Light are similar, as are most ARPGs, but nothing really as hardcore.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Rolling 3B2G on an infernal mantle should be trivial. 25 chromes and you'll likely get it within 3 tries (probably first try tbh), and the vorici crafts place the "guaranteed" colors at the top of the item, so as long as your mantle is 5L+1L instead of 1L+5L, you should be good.

I waited patiently and bought it with the correct colours and in fact I got an almost perfect roll.
Its a 6 socket, 5L, with 34% Fire spell damage and 229% Energy shield for
around 50 Chaos. :D

Not really. Diablo 3 and Torch Light are similar, as are most ARPGs, but nothing really as hardcore.

This is why I love POE. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I waited patiently and bought it with the correct colours and in fact I got an almost perfect roll.
Its a 6 socket, 5L, with 34% Fire spell damage and 229% Energy shield for
around 50 Chaos. :D

Some dude I partied with a long time ago handed this out to me. He was dropping things like candy for everyone. My totem witch uses it.

2ds0494.jpg
[/IMG]

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I can't comprehend why you're so scared of rolling 2 off colors that you spent 50c on a 30-40c item.

But whatever, you got your chest. Tell us how your chaospulse is going!