Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 42 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Ok, I finished the main story. Amazing end boss fight. What do I do now? should I like increase the difficulty or something? Or is it just grinding from now on?

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Ok, I finished the main story. Amazing end boss fight. What do I do now? should I like increase the difficulty or something? Or is it just grinding from now on?

You finish the game on Normal then complete the game on Cruel and then you go and do the game on Merciless.
However there is no reason to complete Merciless.
Just get to Act 4, farming Dried Lake until around 73-75 and start mapping.
You can go straight to Maps if you like once you hit Dried lake.
There are 15 tiers of Maps.
As you level beyond 75 you slowly move up the map tiers.
Around tier 7+ the difficulty rises quite a bit and bosses at the end of each map become quite difficult, some are VERY tough.
Since a death has a penalty of 10% XP for that level (you cannot lose a level, just the xp within that level_) its wise to go slow until you are comfortable.
Builds with high survivability are recommended for high map tiering.
You can run high tier maps with Glass cannon builds but you need to be very careful and the chance of dying is much greater.
Capped resists, High HP, Energy shield and Defenses, whether Evasion, Armour or the likes are VERY IMPORTANT.
Dead DPS is no DPS.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
You finish the game on Normal then complete the game on Cruel and then you go and do the game on Merciless.
However there is no reason to complete Merciless.
Just get to Act 4, farming Dried Lake until around 73-75 and start mapping.
You can go straight to Maps if you like once you hit Dried lake.
There are 15 tiers of Maps.
As you level beyond 75 you slowly move up the map tiers.
Around tier 7+ the difficulty rises quite a bit and bosses at the end of each map become quite difficult, some are VERY tough.
Since a death has a penalty of 10% XP for that level (you cannot lose a level, just the xp within that level_) its wise to go slow until you are comfortable.
Builds with high survivability are recommended for high map tiering.
You can run high tier maps with Glass cannon builds but you need to be very careful and the chance of dying is much greater.
Capped resists, High HP, Energy shield and Defenses, whether Evasion, Armour or the likes are VERY IMPORTANT.
Dead DPS is no DPS.

Wow ok. Guess there's lots more to this.
Thank you so much for all the info. :)

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Wow ok. Guess there's lots more to this.
Thank you so much for all the info. :)

You are welcome :)
I cannot stress enough that you must cap your resists.
75% for Fire, Lightning and Cold. Do not worry about Chaos resist for now.
Most builds do not have much if any Chaos resist.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Xiandre isn't wrong, but if you've just cleared normal, you should be fine for a little while on resists. A1/A2 Cruel aren't really any harder than A4 Normal.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Anyone online and want to buy this bow for me? I will pay you back

bhy9eu.jpg

@Littleeee Hi, I would like to buy your Spirit Rain Steelwood Bow listed for 5 chaos in Talisman

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
It's only 5 chaos orbs no? Or am I mistaken on that icon? That's like an hour of playtime to acquire.

I gave away 27 exalts, and hundreds of chaos/gcp/etc when I quit a while ago; which means nothing because the next time I'll play it will be in a league with a fresh economy.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
It's only 5 chaos orbs no? Or am I mistaken on that icon? That's like an hour of playtime to acquire.

I gave away 27 exalts, and hundreds of chaos/gcp/etc when I quit a while ago; which means nothing because the next time I'll play it will be in a league with a fresh economy.

5C in an hour? I don't think so.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
5C in an hour? I don't think so.

I know people who can pull an exalt per hour or two of farming.
For me 5 chaos is reasonable. It might not be pure chaos, but I can easily swap currency after an hour of farming and get 5C from people.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
My barrage ranger is really starting to come into her own now.
Finally leveled up to use all the gear I wanted.
Got a solid bow that pumps out some solid DPS.
Still need to get some additional life nodes populated and a better chest piece (just replaced my tabula). But damn can she mow down packs with all the arrows, forks, pierce speed and poison. When I face a boss, I can toss down a siege ballista that does some heavy focused damage (and often distracts from attacking me directly) 5 Frenzy and 3 power charges

This is probably my 2nd favorite build after my beloved totem witch.

Trying to find good support gems for Herald of Ice -- suggestions? Right now using Increase Critical, culling strike (useless) and IR.

Was thinking about using CoC too as I've built up a solid critical strike chance too.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
My barrage ranger is really starting to come into her own now.
Finally leveled up to use all the gear I wanted.
Got a solid bow that pumps out some solid DPS.
Still need to get some additional life nodes populated and a better chest piece (just replaced my tabula). But damn can she mow down packs with all the arrows, forks, pierce speed and poison. When I face a boss, I can toss down a siege ballista that does some heavy focused damage (and often distracts from attacking me directly) 5 Frenzy and 3 power charges

This is probably my 2nd favorite build after my beloved totem witch.

Trying to find good support gems for Herald of Ice -- suggestions? Right now using Increase Critical, culling strike (useless) and IR.

Was thinking about using CoC too as I've built up a solid critical strike chance too.

Sounds like fun. I am still trying to decide what I want for my next build.
I am leaning towards a blade vortex but ranger builds also are tempting,
like your one. What was your monetary investment?
Freezing Chaos pulse also seems like it would be fun to play.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Sounds like fun. I am still trying to decide what I want for my next build.
I am leaning towards a blade vortex but ranger builds also are tempting,
like your one. What was your monetary investment?
Freezing Chaos pulse also seems like it would be fun to play.

I think I've only spent about 10C on this character so far. A little more when you toss in a few crafting rolls to get the right number/color sockets.
I had a couple of items laying around already (like tabula to level with)
Got a few lucky drops too that were the exact items I needed.

Just crafted some great 1000+ EV armor this morning -- only 4L but that is sufficient for my siege ballista to do. I love using the ballista against uniques and bosses as it pumps out 3-4K damage per shot.

I really struggle with getting enough life for my characters. There's really no more close-by nodes in my tree and I'm only at 2K life. I've built this character with EV for every defense (I refuse to use armor when I use the acrobat node reducing it by 50% or whatever).

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I think this will be my last Talisman character. I will play these or standard until the new league comes out which at that point I'm going to build a MF and run that to gather up gear/money for a real build.

By that time the market should have enough items in it to drive down pricing and there should be enough good new build ideas out there to do something new and different.

Sadly, come spring and summer my time will be cut down dramatically as baseball starts up and, well... it's just nice to be outside.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I think this will be my last Talisman character. I will play these or standard until the new league comes out which at that point I'm going to build a MF and run that to gather up gear/money for a real build.

By that time the market should have enough items in it to drive down pricing and there should be enough good new build ideas out there to do something new and different.

Sadly, come spring and summer my time will be cut down dramatically as baseball starts up and, well... it's just nice to be outside.

Yeah whatever toon I start now will be the last for Talisman but will be easy to level to 80 with remaining time.
Remember when we were speaking about starting a MF build for start of league for funds?
The last couple of nights I played with my 83 MF totem witch and the difference is quite large even with only 168 IIR.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Yeah whatever toon I start now will be the last for Talisman but will be easy to level to 80 with remaining time.
Remember when we were speaking about starting a MF build for start of league for funds?
The last couple of nights I played with my 83 MF totem witch and the difference is quite large even with only 168 IIR.

Yeah I recall that conversation -- and I'm sticking to it.

I want to start a "real build" rich and with working knowledge of the league too -- I feel like I really squandered a lot of talisman possibilities.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I've been playing a lightning tendril build scion... it's great against normal mobs but elites and bosses are starting to take a long time to kill. I've been giving all my points into AoE, lightning, elemental damage. I'm unclear though if I'll be able to play an Elementalist when Ascendancy comes out, that seems to be reserved for witches.

For uniques, is there a way to get more? I've gotten a few but man, these are like level 5, 7 and so low there isn't even a level on it!

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I've been playing a lightning tendril build scion... it's great against normal mobs but elites and bosses are starting to take a long time to kill. I've been giving all my points into AoE, lightning, elemental damage. I'm unclear though if I'll be able to play an Elementalist when Ascendancy comes out, that seems to be reserved for witches.

For uniques, is there a way to get more? I've gotten a few but man, these are like level 5, 7 and so low there isn't even a level on it!

What level are you? If you can give me a better picture of where you are level wise etc I can try and help.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I'm at 44... working my way to the Witch INT start position from the Lightning Walker spot to Occultist's Dominion where I will get the 5 spell damage for another 58% spell damage. Following that I will get Storm Weaver for another 43% lightning damage and then resume my path to Light of Divinity and Elementalist from where I will head towards Celestial Judgement. That will take me around 30 more points... and I've another 4 I need for another very short path for 20% more spell damage and 26% elemental damage.

My concern is health... I'm way too low and I don't know how many points I'll have left once I'm done for that. I might have ~20 stat points left for health which I hope will be enough.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I'm at 44... working my way to the Witch INT start position from the Lightning Walker spot to Occultist's Dominion where I will get the 5 spell damage for another 58% spell damage. Following that I will get Storm Weaver for another 43% lightning damage and then resume my path to Light of Divinity and Elementalist from where I will head towards Celestial Judgement. That will take me around 30 more points... and I've another 4 I need for another very short path for 20% more spell damage and 26% elemental damage.

My concern is health... I'm way too low and I don't know how many points I'll have left once I'm done for that. I might have ~20 stat points left for health which I hope will be enough.

You've fallen into the same trap that I always do -- and XiandreX yells at me for. You've been tempted too much by DPS and not by health/survivability!

Make sure you get some health/evasion nodes as well!!!

As a wise man once said, "When you're dead, your DPS is 0"