Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Wait until you get to 90+. One bad move or lag spike and you've just lost a few hours time... Unless you have a steady supply of high level maps.

I think I'm done with this character.
Played some of my Lvl 85 Reave on Standard and that was the same thing.

Not sure what to do now... Can't find a build I want to try.

suggestions anyone? Gotta be "cheap" and fairly easy. I'm not overly dedicated.

Anyone have a good build for MF? Maybe I will just do that.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Just need a change of pace and I hate maps that have you constantly backtracking.

Sounds like you're worrying WAY too much about full clearing the map.

ESPECIALLY on low tier maps (up to level 75 maps or so), just clear what you encounter, don't waste time backtracking to find half a pack you missed.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008

Bladefall is plenty viable with a 4L

self cast Spark is viable if you got a 5L around. might be tolerable with 4L depending on your skill build

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

ED / Contagion is pretty cheap (+1 Tabula is like max price piece) and you just need to stack life. Everything else is quality of life increases. Not sure how well it MFs though. I'd imagine poison arrow would be pretty easy too.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
ED / Contagion is pretty cheap (+1 Tabula is like max price piece) and you just need to stack life. Everything else is quality of life increases. Not sure how well it MFs though. I'd imagine poison arrow would be pretty easy too.

maybe this... it seems to be a Scion build too which I have never used so that helps for the fun factor too.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I think shadow is best, as you get a ton of chaos damage increase nodes.

Yeah I noticed that.

My ONLY hesitation with a ED build is that it's yet another wand/shield build -- which I have done a dozen times now.

Might have to dig around for a Marauder build with some bashing.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
IMO: Buy a Hegemony's Era while they're cheap, play a crit staff left-side-tree build (templar/marauder). Sweep is popular for these builds, as is cyclone and ground slam.

You could also get an Empire's Grasp and play "sucklone" - cyclone staff crit with reverse knockback, you just drag enemies with you to their death.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Yeah I noticed that.

My ONLY hesitation with a ED build is that it's yet another wand/shield build -- which I have done a dozen times now.

Might have to dig around for a Marauder build with some bashing.

Never do wand / shield unless you're using the wands attack (barrage, etc). Dagger is way better, plus a nice 1/20 whirling blades with faster attack and fortify is amazing way to get around.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Technically wands beat daggers for non-crit spell builds (so do scepters for elemental spells) due to having a useful implicit, but not by enough to give up whirling blades, which is BY FAR the best mobility skill in the game.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Technically wands beat daggers for non-crit spell builds (so do scepters for elemental spells) due to having a useful implicit, but not by enough to give up whirling blades, which is BY FAR the best mobility skill in the game.

You can get decent enough spell damage daggers, and you can add stats to them. But yes, they aren't "as good", but in a cheap build, a dagger and whirling blades saves up a lot of room for res and life on boots where you can sacrifice movespeed and not worry too much about cast speed (if you went the lightning warp route).

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
Just thought I'd let you guys know about the greatest game ever made. Best part is...its free.

If you loved Diablo 2 then you'll love this spiritual successor.

here's the trailer. Hope to see you guys in Wraeclast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFCCkTw3e04

Play it for 2 hours and uninstall. Really remind me why I dislike Diablo type game. The only hack and slash game I truly love were Diablo 2 and MU online. Even Devillia look and play better than PoE. PoE is the most overrated game since release.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Play it for 2 hours and uninstall. Really remind me why I dislike Diablo type game. The only hack and slash game I truly love were Diablo 2 and MU online. Even Devillia look and play better than PoE. PoE is the most overrated game since release.

A big problem with PoE is the early game is pretty crap. It simply isn't fun until you hit a high enough level to get a build that is good. Once you're like 70+ and have a good build that synergies with gear and such, it is amazing. Unfortunately, that experience doesn't happen unless you get to that point. A lot of people don't want to put in a ton of hours to get to the "good part" of the game.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
A big problem with PoE is the early game is pretty crap. It simply isn't fun until you hit a high enough level to get a build that is good. Once you're like 70+ and have a good build that synergies with gear and such, it is amazing. Unfortunately, that experience doesn't happen unless you get to that point. A lot of people don't want to put in a ton of hours to get to the "good part" of the game.

While I agree in point I think you don't need level 70 for all builds.
Even 45+ for some builds starts to really open up.
Whispering ice comes to mind.

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999

I almost gave up on this game also because in the beginning it is pretty dull. Don't give up! You just don't realize in the beginning how incredibly in depth and complicated the builds get in this game. In fact it was so overwhelming for a while that I had a hard time focusing until I settled on a dual fire totem witch. Then in talisman I tried a melee ranger and couldn't get the hang of it and switched to a summoner and didn't look back. My SRS summoner is a riot and way more fun than my totem witch. Getting ready to try my first Atziri run.

When a game is this complicated you have to spend a lot of time reading up on it. When I visited the forum and read about linking and linked my first 3L fire totem where I doubled my dps and learned to synergize that with the build tree I was like "OMG, this is too cool!" And that was just the start. There is so much to learn about CWDT and CoC gem setups, curses, Hideouts + masters, reforging links, vaal gems, corrupting items, map drops and on and on on. Almost everyday for a month you will be learning something new. After two months I'm still learning something new :)

In fact I think the hardest thing in this game is just focusing on a particular build that is fun for you. You visit the forums and there are almost infinite number of builds posted daily. Some of them depend on certain equipment and/or max level gems so you can't really reproduce the dps until you level those gems and/or find the right equipment.

It's hard to explain how amazing this game is to people who have given up. It is a mystery to unravel and spending 2 hours on it just won't cut it.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Just wanted to ask. Are the levels randomly generated? Cos I swore when I first played as another class, a particular waypoint was somewhere else.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
While I agree in point I think you don't need level 70 for all builds.
Even 45+ for some builds starts to really open up.
Whispering ice comes to mind.

Any comments on which builds "open up" the fastest/earliest? I'd kinda like to come back and try PoE again but I have tried it a couple times since the early beta days and it never sucks me in, I just get bored and quit again for a while.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Just wanted to ask. Are the levels randomly generated? Cos I swore when I first played as another class, a particular waypoint was somewhere else.

semi-random, there's several basic layouts of most areas, and the minor details (rocks, debris, barrels, etc) are completely random.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Any comments on which builds "open up" the fastest/earliest? I'd kinda like to come back and try PoE again but I have tried it a couple times since the early beta days and it never sucks me in, I just get bored and quit again for a while.

Most life-based templar/witch spell builds open up decently with zero gear required just by virtue of getting gem links and gaining levels, spells scale mostly with gem levels and support gems. And when you get to maps, you can TRIVIALLY get a 5 link staff to get yourself started from farming a few Tropical Island (tier 1) maps.

attack-based builds (melee, archer, and other more exotic builds) are much more weapon-reliant, so they're not going to open up until you get a good weapon.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

Dual Flame Totem Witch is about the most simplistic and easiest to ramp up I think. At least from what I played.

My totem build is still my favorite and was actually playing her this weekend quite a bit (haven't revamped her since 2.1 was released)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
attack-based builds (melee, archer, and other more exotic builds) are much more weapon-reliant, so they're not going to open up until you get a good weapon.

Damage wise, yes. Gameplay / build wise, certainly not. Like, a tornado shot build with 200 DPS is going to play almost identical to a 600 DPS bow, just slower in clear speed.

As far as builds that ramp quickly, really any trap and totem build. While not the most fun (imo ofc), dual shockwave or a trapper are quick and start fairly early to be effective. Also, two handed cyclone is pretty good and end game weapons are pretty cheap (Kaom's something or other axe is cheap and effective)

Last edited:

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
Damage wise, yes. Gameplay / build wise, certainly not. Like, a tornado shot build with 200 DPS is going to play almost identical to a 600 DPS bow, just slower in clear speed.

I wouldn't say they play the same

let's say a 600 DPS bow is 1 shotting every pack and the 200 DPS bow requires 3 Tornado Shots per pack

that means the 200 DPS bow might need to do more kiting, the 200 DPS bow is leeching less, and the 200 DPS bow is more reliant on flasks to compensate