Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 34 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Techie14

Dec 19, 2015
Do you guys have the same problem that it always will tell you at login screen to reenter password? Once i do it also require the unlock code again and again... I mean this is no real problem because i can do it. But it is really annoying...

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Do you guys have the same problem that it always will tell you at login screen to reenter password? Once i do it also require the unlock code again and again... I mean this is no real problem because i can do it. But it is really annoying...

Its a security issue.
If your IP address changes, they want to verify its not a third party/person
logging into your account.
Sometimes it does it, sometimes not.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
must be nice...

So I've gotten my EK build to where I can play it multiple styles. If I am doing anything remotely dangerous, I go "tank" style, use blasphemy enfeeble and use power charge on crit for my 6th link in EK. However, if I'm doing easy crap (dried lake, for example), I throw assassin's mark in my blasphemy and swap my 6th link to Critical Damage.

I do about 20k "chain" dps in "tank" style, about 27k in "dps" style (not counting assassin's mark extra crit/crit damage on enemies). I can also take out chain for crit damage on bosses and go up to 37k dps while running enfeeble. And those numbers don't take into account my poison on every hit, which is approx 30-40% more dps (depending on mob life).

Did the rest of A4 Merciless, since killing Malachai Merc is part of one of the challenges. Wasn't really any harder than cruel, surprisingly enough. Guess that shows how much more powerful me and aqua are.

I gotta figure out how to keep up with her though, her movespeed is completely insane. Without popping anything she has like 90% increased movement speed now, and if she pops everything she has like 230% increased movement speed. Needless to say, she carries the spirits in Haku missions now :p

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
must be nice...

So I've gotten my EK build to where I can play it multiple styles. If I am doing anything remotely dangerous, I go "tank" style, use blasphemy enfeeble and use power charge on crit for my 6th link in EK. However, if I'm doing easy crap (dried lake, for example), I throw assassin's mark in my blasphemy and swap my 6th link to Critical Damage.

I do about 20k "chain" dps in "tank" style, about 27k in "dps" style (not counting assassin's mark extra crit/crit damage on enemies). I can also take out chain for crit damage on bosses and go up to 37k dps while running enfeeble. And those numbers don't take into account my poison on every hit, which is approx 30-40% more dps (depending on mob life).

Did the rest of A4 Merciless, since killing Malachai Merc is part of one of the challenges. Wasn't really any harder than cruel, surprisingly enough. Guess that shows how much more powerful me and aqua are.

I gotta figure out how to keep up with her though, her movespeed is completely insane. Without popping anything she has like 90% increased movement speed now, and if she pops everything she has like 230% increased movement speed. Needless to say, she carries the spirits in Haku missions now :p

That made me chuckle :)
What chestpiece is your 6L?

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Yeah yeah yeah, some of us had to farm our gear!

Literally 10 levels of aquaducts for my tabula... for me and for aqua (running concurrently for better card/hour rate)

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011

Literally 10 levels of aquaducts for my tabula... for me and for aqua (running concurrently for better card/hour rate)

I farm for gear. I just happen to have gotten lucky with the exalt, which I haven't spent by the way. :)
Almost at the end of Act 3 and then its Dried lake farming. I have about 5 tier 1 maps ready to go. :)

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008

Wait what?! Ten!?!? I ran at least 125 to get mine... And I bought the last two cards I needed... You got yours in TEN?!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I farm for gear. I just happen to have gotten lucky with the exalt, which I haven't spent by the way. :)
Almost at the end of Act 3 and then its Dried lake farming. I have about 5 tier 1 maps ready to go. :)

He was talking to me about my Tabula drop :)
I've had incredible luck with drops in POE. I think I'm up to at least 4E

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Wait what?! Ten!?!? I ran at least 125 to get mine... And I bought the last two cards I needed... You got yours in TEN?!

Ten LEVELS worth of runs.

Both me and Aquafilth ran Aquaducts separately from 65-75 to get 9 cards total.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
so I was reading through their Poison Q&A... apparently I need to drop Chain from my EK - it's double dipping the negative damage against both the initial hit and my poison hit!

That's alright though, there's plenty of other good supports. EK is crazy versatile with supports.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I received an Exalted Orb around L40ish and Belly of the Beast dropped for me last night. Trying to sell it, but so far no takers so far. Tried to sell for 50c - I might drop to 40c and see what I get for a bite. Not sure though. I don't like to spam trade chat and I am not sure I have enough time to setup procurement. I downloaded it and felt a bit overwhelmed. L69 32K armour - pretty sturdy...

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Do people bot on PoE? is it like Diablo 3? I want to get into this game but not sure though.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I know there are botters, but I've never seen them. They get banned pretty regularly.

PoE is *much* *much* harder than Diablo, even the best bot would get stomped farming anything high enough level to drop valuable items, no matter how durable a build you give it.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
I know there are botters, but I've never seen them. They get banned pretty regularly.

PoE is *much* *much* harder than Diablo, even the best bot would get stomped farming anything high enough level to drop valuable items, no matter how durable a build you give it.
Thank you. May I ask is it worth playing? What I mean is. Is it worth grinding hours and hours? For example in D3 you grind for hours and most of the time you find shitty stuff but what about PoE? is it rewarding? Do people play seasons in PoE? If yes I'm not a seasonal player i like co=cop and kills stuff with random people D:

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I've been playing for almost a thousand hours of PoE at this point.

About half the playerbase almost exclusively plays in "leagues", the PoE equivalent of Diablo's seasons. The other half pretty much exclusively plays "standard", which is basically like unladdered Diablo (and never expires).

Hardcore in this game dumps you to Standard when you die, instead of deleting your character.

All Leagues empty to Standard (or regular Hardcore, if a Hardcore league and you are still alive when it ends) when they end, so nothing is ever lost.

99% of drops in an ARPG have to be shit in order for the good drops to actually feel good. Yes, most of what drops in PoE is crap. However, there are LOTS of ways to craft better gear from the mediocre drops and get plenty of upgrades, without trading even.

A new player is probably going to mess up their first character or two if they don't follow a well-built guide very strictly. A massive part of PoE is learning how mechanics interact/can be abused to make your character better. Case-in-point: my comment earlier that I learned that I am double-dipping a penalty in my current build and need to fix it. I have 1000 hours and I still have things to learn.

Last edited:

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
I've been playing for almost a thousand hours of PoE at this point.

About half the playerbase almost exclusively plays in "leagues", the PoE equivalent of Diablo's seasons. The other half pretty much exclusively plays "standard", which is basically like unladdered Diablo (and never expires).

Hardcore in this game dumps you to Standard when you die, instead of deleting your character.

All Leagues empty to Standard (or regular Hardcore, if a Hardcore league) when they end, so nothing is ever lost.

99% of drops in an ARPG have to be shit in order for the good drops to actually feel good. Yes, most of what drops in PoE is crap. However, there are LOTS of ways to craft better gear from the mediocre drops and get plenty of upgrades, without trading even.

A new player is probably going to mess up their first character or two if they don't follow a well-built guide very strictly. A massive part of PoE is learning how mechanics interact/can be abused to make your character better. Case-in-point: my comment earlier that I learned that I am double-dipping a penalty in my current build and need to fix it. I have 1000 hours and I still have things to learn.
Oh I see thank you. May I ask also how many users online every day? is it more than Diablo 3? Also when your max level is the end game to find better gear? is there a auction house?

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I have no idea how many people play PoE: GGG doesn't publish that data, and only a portion of the playerbase plays through Steam, so Steam's data is incomplete.

You will never be max level. Seriously, getting to level 100 is insanely hard/time consuming, there's only a handful of people who ever make it there. "high level/endgame" is somewhere between level 80 and level 90, and is the highest you should ever shoot for.

Better gear can drop from anywhere, the best way to get more loot is just to clear the highest-level content you can safely clear. Rare items stat mods can roll larger values on higher level items. Unique items can drop from any zone that is high enough level to allow the unique to drop.

There is no auction house, all trades are person to person trades. There is a third-party shop aggregator, poe.trade, which facilitates in pairing buyers with sellers.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Oh I see thank you. May I ask also how many users online every day? is it more than Diablo 3? Also when your max level is the end game to find better gear? is there a auction house?

I can't comment on daily player stats, but I've rarely had problems when I wanted to group. Also, there isn't really a "EU / US / etc" specific realm. You will use EU servers (as they are the lowest ping for you) and anyone can enter, even if they will be laggy.

There is a max level (100), but you won't hit. Most builds max out about 85ish for endgame. If you build requires more levels than that, the time investment isn't particularly worth it. Once you hit 85, there is some fantastic end game, but even then, it's grindy like all ARPGs.

There isn't an AH and the currency system is kind of crap. There is a shop indexer website where you can search for items by specific stat (rare items all get random names), but the currency is the problem. The currency system is essentially player regulated and the currency itself are crafting items. Unfortunately, crafting in all but edge cases is beyond a new standard player's reach as the main currency used to actually craft is more valuable as currency than potential craft. Crafting is 100% RNG based and while nuanced and deep, one exalted orb (main currency accepted by players) on an item can make it worth LESS than that orb you just used on it. With that said though, in standard, there is an abundance of available cheap available gear that isn't super min / max (good luck with any of that, btw).

As far as a game, and I'm a fairly seasoned D3 player, I have about 2000 hours in it. There are some truly fun builds, fun encounters, and fun mechanics. League play is fine, if you like it (I do it merely to make currency, as you can get decent money for mediocre items that would never sell in standard and just bring it over after the league), but standard generally has a population willing to play.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
I can't comment on daily player stats, but I've rarely had problems when I wanted to group. Also, there isn't really a "EU / US / etc" specific realm. You will use EU servers (as they are the lowest ping for you) and anyone can enter, even if they will be laggy.

There is a max level (100), but you won't hit. Most builds max out about 85ish for endgame. If you build requires more levels than that, the time investment isn't particularly worth it. Once you hit 85, there is some fantastic end game, but even then, it's grindy like all ARPGs.

There isn't an AH and the currency system is kind of crap. There is a shop indexer website where you can search for items by specific stat (rare items all get random names), but the currency is the problem. The currency system is essentially player regulated and the currency itself are crafting items. Unfortunately, crafting in all but edge cases is beyond a new standard player's reach as the main currency used to actually craft is more valuable as currency than potential craft. Crafting is 100% RNG based and while nuanced and deep, one exalted orb (main currency accepted by players) on an item can make it worth LESS than that orb you just used on it. With that said though, in standard, there is an abundance of available cheap available gear that isn't super min / max (good luck with any of that, btw).

As far as a game, and I'm a fairly seasoned D3 player, I have about 2000 hours in it. There are some truly fun builds, fun encounters, and fun mechanics. League play is fine, if you like it (I do it merely to make currency, as you can get decent money for mediocre items that would never sell in standard and just bring it over after the league), but standard generally has a population willing to play.
Thank you burgerboi :)

I have around 3k hours on D3. Is PoE better? pros and cons? how many hours u have on poe? finally i can rekt you since ur us on d3 :sneaky:

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Thank you burgerboi :)

I have around 3k hours on D3. Is PoE better? pros and cons? how many hours u have on poe? finally i can rekt you since ur us on d3 :sneaky:

D3 wins in combat, but seriously that's about it anymore...
Most everything else is heavily slanted in PoE's favor or a toss up depending on what you like.

PoE has better itemization
PoE has better customization
PoE has an economy
PoE has an active build guide community
PoE has racing
PoE is free

The above are pretty obvious and you'd struggle to form an argument against those things. On the other hand there are things that some people prefer...

The end-game is a toss up. I like the map system except for the invisible wall that stops progression, but I know many who like Greater Rifts.
The story is also a toss up. Most people hated the D3 story, but I don't really even pay attention to the story in PoE. I do enjoy the "Lore hunter" posts on the forums though.
Graphics is a toss up. You'd find a lot of people who would give this to D3, but I just never fell in love with the graphical style. PoE feels a little more up my alley.
Support I would personally give to PoE. They patch a ton and new content comes really fast. There are people that don't like this though and wish they would slow down. I think D3 is way too slow.

That's kind of my analysis. I put probably 2k-ish hours into D3. I had a blast on release, but they really dumbed the game down. It's not in a bad place now, but the lack of an economy really kills the game for me.

I may have over 4k hours in PoE by now. I've created perhaps half of the obvious builds that most people do. I have a group of 4-5 friends and we play every season together. It's really become an awesome successor to Diablo 2. You can see that the developers played a lot of D2 and really tried to keep that feel.