Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
At T6+ I just stopped doing bosses. Sure some are easier than others, but sometimes I'd forget and attempt to fight them and OOOPS! Dead

I hear you... But most of the time the boss drops the next tier map. Don't you run out of maps?

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Jungle Valley is one of the hardest map bosses, period. WILDLY overtuned for a mid-tier map, always has been, I have no idea why GGG has never fixed this.

Pledge (I love this staff btw) and Doon Cuebiyari have level 30 gem effects built into the item. 28 is the highest you can take any *actual* gem, items are exempt from this limit (in those two examples).

Level 30 spell echo/iron will just have more power than the lower level versions. Echo adds even more cast speed, iron will even more damage.

Same goes for Firestorm, a level 23 version just does more damage than level 19. Scaling gem level with +gems mods and/or Empower is a major way that spells are scaled into lategame, and one of the few reasons Staff weapons are used at all by casters (for anyone who isn't stacking +gems and Empower, a 1H + shield is probably going to be better unless they need a unique staff effect).

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
So I'm up to level 75 after hitting things relatively hard this weekend. I learned not to level with spectral throw. It was a horrible experience, and made me switch my build... I never want to play ST again. Cast on Crit-Cyclone is going surprisingly well though. I farmed the heck out of Aqueduct to get a Tabula and I'm running Cyclone-Cast on Crit-Blade Vortex-Blade Fall-Fortify-Life Leech. I'm also running Enfeeble-blasphemy, and Herald of Fire that Ill switch to Hatred once I get mana costs under control.

This is being done with absolutely terrible items so far. I have a 7% crit dagger. This means I'm only getting critical strikes at around 50%. I'm saving up for a Bino's. I'm not sure what I want to do for a shield. There are a few uniques that would synergize well with the physical damage spells. Or I could just go generic caster shield with life and resists.

I cleared some T4 Promenade maps last night, and only had trouble with lightning thorns. Probably should have died, but got lucky. I'm working with only 3.3k life but I expect to top out around 4.5k with 5 more levels and some gear.

Anyone else having success in the new league?

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
So I'm up to level 75 after hitting things relatively hard this weekend. I learned not to level with spectral throw. It was a horrible experience, and made me switch my build... I never want to play ST again. Cast on Crit-Cyclone is going surprisingly well though. I farmed the heck out of Aqueduct to get a Tabula and I'm running Cyclone-Cast on Crit-Blade Vortex-Blade Fall-Fortify-Life Leech. I'm also running Enfeeble-blasphemy, and Herald of Fire that Ill switch to Hatred once I get mana costs under control.

This is being done with absolutely terrible items so far. I have a 7% crit dagger. This means I'm only getting critical strikes at around 50%. I'm saving up for a Bino's. I'm not sure what I want to do for a shield. There are a few uniques that would synergize well with the physical damage spells. Or I could just go generic caster shield with life and resists.

I cleared some T4 Promenade maps last night, and only had trouble with lightning thorns. Probably should have died, but got lucky. I'm working with only 3.3k life but I expect to top out around 4.5k with 5 more levels and some gear.

I am rolling a MF dual Flame totem first for currency. :)
Once I have some funds I will look into a Crit caster... just not sure which, either Arc or something similar.
I am only level 28 though... real life keeping me busy :)

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I am rolling a MF dual Flame totem first for currency. :)
Once I have some funds I will look into a Crit caster... just not sure which, either Arc or something similar.
I am only level 28 though... real life keeping me busy :)

Yeah, I had my gaming group over on Friday night to play, and played a lot Saturday too. MF Flame totem is GREAT! I have one in standard that runs item rarity and item quantity + 2 andvarius yet still has 15k dps per totem. It's a completely different game at that point.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Yeah, I had my gaming group over on Friday night to play, and played a lot Saturday too. MF Flame totem is GREAT! I have one in standard that runs item rarity and item quantity + 2 andvarius yet still has 15k dps per totem. It's a completely different game at that point.

Andvarius rings are stupidly expensive right now.
I will work towards those eventually sitting at only 74% IIR at lvl 28.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Started an Arc Templar using a template -- though I have strayed off that template quite a bit now. Supports are lightning pen and controlled destruction. For now, I decided to toss in an Arc totem too so there's a fair amount of lightning being tossed around. Only at level 40 so lots of room to grow.

My gear is complete shit. I can't decide if I should go wand/shield or staff at this point. Definitely a fun build though. They need a lightning golem of some sort. Seems odd there isn't one

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999
What a fun weekend with the 2.1 release :) The new blasphemy gem is pretty sweet. I can now run Assassin's Mark as an aura and it works perfectly with my new Point Blank RoA leeching ranger on Talisman league. Just having issues with bosses though. It's a very different play style from my FT witch. My witch hardly ever died on merciless but my poor ranger is getting smacked against boss mobs on normal. I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong before I move on to Cruel. Bow Ranger on trash is awesome...ranger on boss is not fun :( Decoy Totem helps a bit to avoid damage but I just can't do enough damage because once I stop to shoot there is too much crap going on to dodge so I can't do much dps when I actually have the time to stop. Witch FT I could just drop totems and watch them burn while I run around avoiding damage.

Wasn't sure what to do with my 80 witch on standard but after reading about the shockwave totems I had to give it a try. After reading http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1503525 and respeccing I looked in horror at my dps almost 1/3 of what it was with my FT 2.0 spec :eek: . I had a lump in my throat and thought it would be a disaster but it is nice! Not as sexy as flame totems but very effective. Luckily my shockwave gem is only 1 level less than my FT because I was leveling it on the side. But my Area of Effect gem needs a lot of work. Just not sure why the dps tooltip says it is so low because it kills almost as fast as FT.

Damn fun and addicting game grr :)

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

You got that right.

I have other games I want to get to too. But my gaming time is super limited and POE has this nice ability to fill in 30 mins here and there when I can sit down and play a little.

I still question who is in their CFO is though -- outside of TF2, I can't believe I have played a game this much and spent so little on it (I spent $20 on some tabs). They could EASILY charge $5 for each league and make a truck ton of money. And if they lowered their prices on the little character mods/effects I'd buy a bunch of those too ($20 for some weapon effect is ridiculous IMO).

It's impressive what they have created and kept going. Kudos to GGG for a game plan and game well executed!

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
If you're having trouble staying alive in the new league I can highly recommend either enfeeble/blasphemy or temporal chains/blasphemy. I was going to do assassins mark for power charges too, but the survivability gained from enfeeble is just too good...

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
So did they nerf the flame totem build into the ground or is it still viable for leveling? I haven't played since the early closed beta days (when there were only 3 Acts), back then I ran a lightning ranger about halfway into Cruel difficulty. I recall it suddenly became almost impossible to progress with my build and I eventually gave up/moved on to other games. Been playing a lot of Grim Dawn but thinking I'd like to give this one a new try, just not sure what kind of toon to run. Also, what kind of currency do you need to save, everything or just selected items?

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
So did they nerf the flame totem build into the ground or is it still viable for leveling? I haven't played since the early closed beta days (when there were only 3 Acts), back then I ran a lightning ranger about halfway into Cruel difficulty. I recall it suddenly became almost impossible to progress with my build and I eventually gave up/moved on to other games. Been playing a lot of Grim Dawn but thinking I'd like to give this one a new try, just not sure what kind of toon to run. Also, what kind of currency do you need to save, everything or just selected items?

Firstly, save all your currency. The common stuff is useful to you. The less common stuff is valuable. I would save Chaos Orbs/Exalted Orbs/Regret Orbs/Divine Orbs. I use everything else if I need to. The game is still difficult, but they made it easier to progress. There's no penalty for dying in normal and the game now checkpoints your character when you die so it's easy to zerg bosses if you have 0 experience on Cruel and Merciless.

I didn't play flame totem to level. I think it should still be very good. The thing with totems is that you just place them and keep running. Makes it very easy to progress. Most streamers I saw were leveling with blade vortex. It seemed super strong.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

You got that right.

I have other games I want to get to too. But my gaming time is super limited and POE has this nice ability to fill in 30 mins here and there when I can sit down and play a little.

I still question who is in their CFO is though -- outside of TF2, I can't believe I have played a game this much and spent so little on it (I spent $20 on some tabs). They could EASILY charge $5 for each league and make a truck ton of money. And if they lowered their prices on the little character mods/effects I'd buy a bunch of those too ($20 for some weapon effect is ridiculous IMO).

It's impressive what they have created and kept going. Kudos to GGG for a game plan and game well executed!

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999
If you're having trouble staying alive in the new league I can highly recommend either enfeeble/blasphemy or temporal chains/blasphemy. I was going to do assassins mark for power charges too, but the survivability gained from enfeeble is just too good...

Thanks, Majes. I'll try switching AssMark with enfeeble on my ranja tonight.

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999

They nerfed FT slightly but supposedly buffed it at higher levels. However people were complaining that the cast speed increased from .2sec to .25 sec reducing dps by a decent amount even at higher levels.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
You got that right.

Boy I hope GGG doesn't see this post. I do have to agree with you however. It amazes me how they constantly reinvent the game with what they introduce in every league. I've especially liked the last league and this new one as well.

Standard league is pretty empty though. I was playing it Saturday after the patch-there was rarely more than one other toon in town and I saw no public games.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
So I'm guessing if I fire this up for a test run I should enter the currently active league instead of creating new toon in standard mode? I understand the league concept, makes no difference to me since my only previous toon is probably not even valid any longer and all gear would be legacy (something like this). I might still have some useful currency from back then but never even made it to merciless difficulty. Hell, back when I played they didn't even have leagues yet. LOL

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008

DON'T get a Bino's for CoC. Trust me. Get a Vagan dagger with the fastest base you can get. Even just vagan mod + master craft crit will be better than ANY OTHER POSSIBLE DAGGER unless you have near-perfect accuracy rolls on all your other gear.

Crit rolls accuracy checks twice, once to hit and once to "confirm" the crit. Vagan's "cannot miss" mod means you actually get the crit chance your character sheet says you deserve.

Seriously, HUGE HUGE HUGE difference.

Only way Bino's could keep up is with CoC multiple physical spells + POISON gem (adder's touch won't help much since you have very little damage on your weapon) to have insane regen. If you want to do this, it could be good, but you will need crazy amounts of accuracy to make up for not using a vagan dagger. Like you need ~93% accuracy against same-level mobs to make it worthwhile.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I will look into that Jax. Binos is super cheap though so it might be a stepping stone till I can craft a Vagan dagger. Any suggestions on how to deal with mana cost? I'm having a little trouble if I just have a crit dagger instead of a damage dagger...

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Craft?

Buy a "hits cannot be evaded" dagger, master craft crit on it, you're done.

Super cheap.

I'm not sure why you'd be having mana issues with CoC... are you relying on phys mana leech from your weapon?? Get some "mana on hit" jewels/nodes, solves the problem forever.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Can someone pick up an Assassin's Mark gem and toss it in the shared guild stash? Apparently I can't even buy one as a Templar?!

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
So I 6L my first ever item lol.
On a level 28 Chest Armour piece, first 6 socket to drop on this 35 Witch. :)
Sigh... at least I got the achievement :)
Going to sell as is for some currency (although wont be much)