Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I can't believe I ignored this game for such a long time. Started playing a few weeks ago and just can't stop playing :) Got a 60 dual flame totem OP Witch but man there are so many cool builds to read about. I can't wait to hit 80 and switch to the dual freezing pulse totem spec that I saw here http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1422161. I'm actually leveling up some of the gems I need in a 4L boot with Spell Totem -> Freezing Pulse -> Cold Penetration -> Faster Casting and use it once in a while. Even though the tool tip DPS says it is almost as good as my fire totem it just doesn't kill fast enough yet. From the thread it says I'll need to be 80 with a 6L chest and a lot better gear to make it work. In the mean time it is still fun to drop a freezing pulse totem + flame totem once in a while but for the most part I use two flame totems to mop the floor.

Just blows me away how complicated this game is. So boring at first that I almost gave up on it, but once you progress a bit and spend some passive points and learn about linking gems and read about all the almost infinite build possibilities your head starts to explode. I read up on the dual flame totem Witch and went with that but for some reason I didn't even see the flame totem gem on the vendor till like level 9 so I was mostly using fireball. I got my 1st totem and initially thought "hmm this isn't so great" but then you get it leveled up and then make that first link and see your dps almost double. Later when you get the passives to drop two totems you love the OP feeling :)

Still so much to learn in this game. I'm in total amazement people can come up with such a complicated skill tree and gem system. Haven't had this much fun since the soul system in RIFT.

LOL
Welcome to the addiction.

Honestly, I haven't spent this much time playing a game in probably 12 years. If I ever have 30 mins free time (with a wife, 2 active kids, the holidays... oh and work that's rare) I'm playing some POE.

I just got into the buy/sell trade and man it COMPLETELY opens the game.

Anything worth anything I put for sale and it sells. And that helps me get the items I want in return. Just awesome.

If you want to be added to our guild (which doesn't mean all the much really) let me know your in-game name and I will add ya.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
@Tequila: don't worry about any build that says you need a 6 Link (unless it is talking about a Tabula Rasa Simple Robe) - 6 Link armor/2H weapons are VERY VERY VERY rare and expensive. I've never seen one in 900 hours of play.

My general rule of thumb is any build that works fine on a 4L, and can transition to a 5L by ~level 80, is probably fine.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
@tequila: Don't worry about any build that says you need a 6 link (unless it is talking about a tabula rasa simple robe) - 6 link armor/2h weapons are very very very rare and expensive. I've never seen one in 900 hours of play.

My general rule of thumb is any build that works fine on a 4l, and can transition to a 5l by ~level 80, is probably fine.

with god as my witness i will get 1500 fusings!!!
(current count: 48)

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Had a Carnage Heart drop last night.
2unzh93.jpg

The 1.52% life leach is crazy when I'm doing a base 21K damage.

That being said, I'm sick of dying. I find myself getting lazy when clearing mobs. Often those "after bursts" that exploded 3-4 secs after you kill a monster one-hit me. Makes me FURIOUS as it's just my laziness.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
2unzh93.jpg

That being said, I'm sick of dying. I find myself getting lazy when clearing mobs. Often those "after bursts" that exploded 3-4 secs after you kill a monster one-hit me. Makes me FURIOUS as it's just my laziness.

I am curious as to your stats considering you say you die a lot.
At level 80 I have around 3700 HP capped resists.
My Dps (and gear) is lower than yours, around 12k Base and around 22k-24k procs running (almost 30% crit chance).

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
~3,100 HP
Resists are not capped but are pretty high -- working on that.

As I said too -- dying is more due to my laziness. I tend to be a little over zealous with whirling blades too and will whirl myself into a huge mob with some exiles or something.

XiandreX we need to play together dang it!

Last edited:

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
~3,100 HP
Resists are not capped but are pretty high -- working on that.

As I said too -- dying is more due to my laziness. I tend to be a little over zealous with whirling blades too and will whirl myself into a huge mob with some exiles or something.

XiandreX we need to play together dang it!

Yeah we do... latency will stink a bit hehe.
Also that helm of yours is your death point :)
Awesome DPS but dying becomes a lot more common hehe

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
2unzh93.jpg

Seeing that image makes me sad. The item used to be 10-15% life leech.

Wish they would come up with more interesting mechanics to encourage diversity instead of just nerfing things.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I got my first 6L to drop and its a White Reaver sword lol..... item lvl 74
Dont even know if its worth much

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
3100HP and uncapped resists is GODAWFUL for a build wearing Abyssus.

For reference, my character at 85 had 4700HP and capped resists, with Lightning Coil *AND* Taste of Hate to survive the increased physical damage of Abyssus.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/JaxOmen/characters/SoulReaverHel

@ Carnage Heart: Always been a GODAWFUL amulet because of the reduced life/ES. The leech, however, is still the same *relative to other leech values*. Leech as a whole was reworked in 2.0, values are 20% what they were before, but leech can "stack" (meaning leech actually works on AoE and super fast attacks like Barrage now!)

@ White Reaver Sword 6L... shame it's on such a crap base. Should be able to get a little bit for it anyway because 6L.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
3100HP and uncapped resists is GODAWFUL for a build wearing Abyssus.

For reference, my character at 85 had 4700HP and capped resists, with Lightning Coil *AND* Taste of Hate to survive the increased physical damage of Abyssus.

Meh.
I honestly don't die THAT much. Only when I'm stupid and throw myself into the fray or just stand in one spot too long against a boss. Normally with the DPS I'm getting (especially with Vaal Reave) I don't get anywhere near a monster. As previously discussed, there are some bosses I just skip though. Not worth the battle.

I'd buy Taste of Hate, but in Darkshrine they want 3E+ for one. Screw that.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
My 85 Firestorm Duelist does 90K sustained single target DPS (using the calculator found on the wiki page for firestorm). I have 5200 HP, maximum resists and 60% DR. Using a Tabula Rasa as my chest peice.

I have a lot of upgrades I could do... If I could get a 5L Pledge of Hands and replace my Tabula Rasa with a Kaom's chest, I should then have 6500 - 7K HP, 65% DR. Once I have that HP, I'll work in my bloodgrip amulet for +170% flask healing. So So a instant flask of 1000 = 2700 per click. 2 clicks to full life.

I don't run life leach. I find flasks perfectly useful even at +70% (not having bloodgrip for the extra 100% flask life)

Really impressed with firestorm and can run reflect maps with a ruby flask quite easily.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
@ArchAngel777: "DR"? Do you mean the damage reduction % from armor listed on the character sheet? Because that value is completely 100% meaningless (it's calculated based on an average same-level-as-player white monster attack). Armor scales in effectiveness based on the strength of the hit, relative to total armor. The harder the hit, the more armor you need to mitigate the same % of the hit (as opposed to most RPGs, where it's some variation of the amount of armor relative to the LEVEL of the attacker)

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexil...e_a_little_app_to_calculate_damage_reduction/ this will accurately calculate your real damage reduction.

My girlfriend played Blood Magic Explosive Arrow in the same league as the reave character I linked, she had well over 7k HP with Kaom's Heart, but she couldn't actually take any more hits than I could due to how much worse armor alone is for mitigating damage, relative to stacked mitigation.

@Homer I got lucky and had Taste of Hate actually drop for me that league. But for reference, I was doing over 100k DPS and was able to face tank Colonnade Kole (hardest-hitting boss I tried) like it was no big deal, while wearing Abyssus, in the 1 month flashback.

You honestly should not be wearing Abyssus without AT LEAST a Lightning Coil. Too many things will be capable of oneshotting you. Get a Rat's Nest or Starkonja's, you'll lose damage but the oneshots should mostly go away.

AND CAP YOUR DAMN RESISTS. #1 priority always is capped resists.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
My 85 Firestorm Duelist does 90K sustained single target DPS (using the calculator found on the wiki page for firestorm). I have 5200 HP, maximum resists and 60% DR. Using a Tabula Rasa as my chest peice.

I have a lot of upgrades I could do... If I could get a 5L Pledge of Hands and replace my Tabula Rasa with a Kaom's chest, I should then have 6500 - 7K HP, 65% DR. Once I have that HP, I'll work in my bloodgrip amulet for +170% flask healing. So So a instant flask of 1000 = 2700 per click. 2 clicks to full life.

I don't run life leach. I find flasks perfectly useful even at +70% (not having bloodgrip for the extra 100% flask life)

Really impressed with firestorm and can run reflect maps with a ruby flask quite easily.

I would love to see your tree! I have a heck of a time breaking 5K health even when I do a tanky marauder build with all rare items...

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
@Homer I got lucky and had Taste of Hate actually drop for me that league. But for reference, I was doing over 100k DPS and was able to face tank Colonnade Kole (hardest-hitting boss I tried) like it was no big deal, while wearing Abyssus, in the 1 month flashback.

You honestly should not be wearing Abyssus without AT LEAST a Lightning Coil. Too many things will be capable of oneshotting you. Get a Rat's Nest or Starkonja's, you'll lose damage but the oneshots should mostly go away.

AND CAP YOUR DAMN RESISTS. #1 priority always is capped resists.

I have Lightning Coil... you must have missed that part :)
That being said, I went back to old helm and it's sort of toss up.

With Abyssus, my DPS is so damned high I clear out areas before most things can even attack. But IF they happen to hit me, I can get into trouble.

Without Abyssus, my DPS is much lower and I can't clear the screen as fast. But if I get hit, I can take the damage.

Had another Exalted drop this morning. :)

Might pick up another Hyrri's Ire again (sold mine for an 1E) and keep debating.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
@ArchAngel777: "DR"? Do you mean the damage reduction % from armor listed on the character sheet? Because that value is completely 100% meaningless (it's calculated based on an average same-level-as-player white monster attack). Armor scales in effectiveness based on the strength of the hit, relative to total armor. The harder the hit, the more armor you need to mitigate the same % of the hit (as opposed to most RPGs, where it's some variation of the amount of armor relative to the LEVEL of the attacker)

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexil...e_a_little_app_to_calculate_damage_reduction/ this will accurately calculate your real damage reduction.

My girlfriend played Blood Magic Explosive Arrow in the same league as the reave character I linked, she had well over 7k HP with Kaom's Heart, but she couldn't actually take any more hits than I could due to how much worse armor alone is for mitigating damage, relative to stacked mitigation.

Yes, I have used that calculator before. There is some debate as to how much pure physical damage exists on hits above 2K and that 5K hits are about as rare as a full moon... So far I am only at T5, a far cry from a T15 map. T5 is easily manageable, and, from what I have read, the damage output at T15 is about 67% greater than T5.

That said, I have never been a fan of avoidance, just pure mitigation. I took US and IR and am pretty satisfied with that choice. Since I have many huge upgrades that I can make to my character, I don't expect to hit a road-block for most content. Being that my health from 5.2K - 7K will be a 74% increase, slightly outpacing the average mob damage output, not to mention having a few extra levels to invest some points in.

I don't play cookie cutter builds, or look for tricky ponies. Seeing how far I can go on my own. :)

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I don't play cookie cutter either, my reave character was dagger-based with Bino's, and much higher crit, than the popular ZiggyD version, with Iron Reflexes and evasion/armor surgeon's flasks to help me stack insane armor :p

The main issue isn't the average hits, but those "rare as a full moon" gigantic hits. That's what kills you! When a rare with a phys damage aura buffs another rare with powerful crits and you just get detonated!

@Homer I dunno what to tell you, it sounds like you have bad gear (low HP/resist rares) in your non-unique slots, and not nearly enough HP on your tree.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
@Homer I dunno what to tell you, it sounds like you have bad gear (low HP/resist rares) in your non-unique slots, and not nearly enough HP on your tree.

Nothing to tell me. As I stated, both builds are manageable for me, I just have to lay off the "Leeeeeeeroy Jenkins!!!!' approach sometimes. THAT is what is getting me in trouble and dead the majority of the times.

Last night I took my time and breezed through maps going from lvl 83 to 84.
Think I died once when I got a rare map with damage reflect and gave it w whirl. (Nothing like more or less punching yourself in the face)

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
The main issue isn't the average hits, but those "rare as a full moon" gigantic hits. That's what kills you! When a rare with a phys damage aura buffs another rare with powerful crits and you just get detonated!

True, but all builds have to worry about that (except maybe the 20K ES builds). In my experience, I tend to die from too many mobs attacking me, not usually from a single difficult mob. Although there are two bosses rated 5 on the wiki maps that can do that insane damage, it is normally the 20+ chicken shooting blues, or those demons that fire projectiles. Luckily the demons can be dodge easily while they unload their salvo in wrong direction. Still, I don't disagree.

Interesting. I witnessed my first exalted drop a few nights ago. My son got it! I traded him 50 chaos orbs for it. Then two days later, one dropped for me and I got it. We group together a lot. This game is truly awesome. The only thing I don't like about it are the stupid juvenile and crude names people have. There was a time when I found that funny, now I just find it pathetic.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
True, but all builds have to worry about that (except maybe the 20K ES builds). In my experience, I tend to die from too many mobs attacking me, not usually from a single difficult mob. Although there are two bosses rated 5 on the wiki maps that can do that insane damage, it is normally the 20+ chicken shooting blues, or those demons that fire projectiles. Luckily the demons can be dodge easily while they unload their salvo in wrong direction. Still, I don't disagree.

Interesting. I witnessed my first exalted drop a few nights ago. My son got it! I traded him 50 chaos orbs for it. Then two days later, one dropped for me and I got it. We group together a lot. This game is truly awesome. The only thing I don't like about it are the stupid juvenile and crude names people have. There was a time when I found that funny, now I just find it pathetic.

I must be lucky -- I've personally had THREE exalts drop for me. And I've seen 2 others drop while in groups.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I must be lucky -- I've personally had THREE exalts drop for me. And I've seen 2 others drop while in groups.

You have more time into the game than I do. The last two months I have put in a ton of time and before that it had been 2 years since I played. I took issues with their interface, so I quit. When 2.0 came out, I thought they left it the same until I looked into it closer (2 months ago) and started playing again.

So who knows. Maybe I will see some more drop. I heard a mirror is worth like 300 exalted orbs... Is this correct? No one can seem to confirm. But if I had a mirror, I'd sell it for 200 exalted orbs.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I guess the difference is my Reaver was able to go full "Leeroy" during the much-more-dangerous flashback league :p

RE: Exalts: I've seen 4 drop, total, in 1700 combined play hours (my girlfriend and I play together almost exclusively). You guys are lucky V_V

RE: Terrible names: Happens in every game. I can't comprehend why people are willing to identify themselves with the truly awful names they come up with.

"Took issues with the interface"? Do you mean the chained-up girls that used to be on the life/mana orbs? I remember a brouhaha about that when they changed it.