Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Xiandre: Aqua said you found a Tabula Rasa today? DON'T flip it for some random 5L armor! Tabula is worth at least 20 chaos orbs, because it is always 6 linked white sockets (can accept any gem in white sockets). The reason you see so many people wearing it in towns is that it's in incredibly high demand. Yours is presumably uncorrupted, so it may be worth slightly more (people corrupt them to try to hit the jackpot and get a +1 gems corrupt, which makes it worth multiple exalts).

Tabula is terrible for melee builds due to no stats (i.e. makes you too squishy, melee needs defenses on chest!) so it's probably not useful for your cycloner, sadly.

But yeah, it's worth a fair few chaos, don't rip yourself off!

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Xiandre: Aqua said you found a Tabula Rasa today? DON'T flip it for some random 5L armor! Tabula is worth at least 20 chaos orbs, because it is always 6 linked white sockets (can accept any gem in white sockets). The reason you see so many people wearing it in towns is that it's in incredibly high demand. Yours is presumably uncorrupted, so it may be worth slightly more (people corrupt them to try to hit the jackpot and get a +1 gems corrupt, which makes it worth multiple exalts).

Tabula is terrible for melee builds due to no stats (i.e. makes you too squishy, melee needs defenses on chest!) so it's probably not useful for your cycloner, sadly.

But yeah, it's worth a fair few chaos, don't rip yourself off!

What I want is a 5L Primacy with a good roll.
It has Culling strike so I could farm with it to recoop my costs.
Is that a worth while idea?

I'll take it!!! :)

Got a 5L Primacy? :biggrin:

50% increase in mana costs sort of sucks though
that's the problem with uniques -- everyone has these great stats then "OH and this one HUGE negative"

I run Blood Magic so the 50% penalty does not affect me for farming.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Jodell88 -- if you want to be added to guild, just let me know and I can invite you.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
A tabula (~20 chaos) isn't worth nearly a 5L primacy (1-2 exalts, or about 50-90 chaos)... but you can buy a regular primacy for a couple chaos and 4L it no problem. Then buy a 5L chest armor for a few chaos.

To everyone using a 2H weapon: unless you have a VERY VERY specific reason (i.e. a weapon you cannot replace, such as Quill Rain for Explosive Arrow builds), get more links in your ARMOR and don't worry about weapon links. Weapons are far more important to upgrade than armor, you can get by with crappy high-link armor far better than a crappy high-link weapon.

This will make all your weapon upgrades far cheaper since you don't have to care about the links in them.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
A tabula (~20 chaos) isn't worth nearly a 5L primacy (1-2 exalts, or about 50-90 chaos)... but you can buy a regular primacy for a couple chaos and 4L it no problem. Then buy a 5L chest armor for a few chaos.

To everyone using a 2H weapon: unless you have a VERY VERY specific reason (i.e. a weapon you cannot replace, such as Quill Rain for Explosive Arrow builds), get more links in your ARMOR and don't worry about weapon links. Weapons are far more important to upgrade than armor, you can get by with crappy high-link armor far better than a crappy high-link weapon.

This will make all your weapon upgrades far cheaper since you don't have to care about the links in them.

Makes sense to me.
Now whats the best way to go about getting 5L in my mantle? Its 5S total with a 4L now :(

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
And whats the best method for getting the most out of my map runs?
I have piles of normal maps (1-4) and a few that are already of some increased quality.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Also I have all 4 fragments to tackle Atziri... am I ready at lvl 78? She scares me :)
I read ruby and topaz flasks are a must.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
DO NOT try to fight Atziri at only 78. Don't be tricked by her zone being level 70.

Don't tackle Atziri with only one set of fragments. Your first run you probably won't make it past the trio.

The Atziri map has 3 boss encounters. The first is "Twin Vaals", as in two of the boss from A2... simultaneously. The second is "The Trio", three very strong bosses with unique attacks, where the remaining living member enrages and becomes stronger when two of them are dead. Then finally you reach Atziri herself, a multi-phase encounter with many (avoidable) oneshot mechanics.

If you want to do Atziri, you need to be very high level *and* have studied heavily before hand. You need to be a versatile build capable of making it past the Trio and killing Atziri herself (any good build should be capable of beating Twin Vaal with good play, thankfully).

I strongly recommend watching video guides of Atziri before spending your fragments on it - that midnight fragment only drops in 1/20th of level 60+ corrupted areas!

As far as 5Ling your 5S mantle... spend 150 fuses at Vorici would be your best option. This costs around 3 exalts worth of fuses, so if someone is selling a 5L mantle for cheaper than 3 exalts, buy that instead.

As for map runs, anything sub-73, transmute, augment to 2 mods if it only gets one mod, and run them blue. Anything 73+, chisel while white, alch, and run yellow. If it's a multi-boss map, consider corrupting the map for chances at fragments while you're at it.

Personally I save sub-73 quality maps for chisel recipe (sum of map quality = 40% quality vendored = chisel) and save white Stone Hammer/Rock Breaker/Gavels to 20% quality and vendor with a low level map for even more chisels :p

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
As far as 5Ling your 5S mantle... spend 150 fuses at Vorici would be your best option. This costs around 3 exalts worth of fuses, so if someone is selling a 5L mantle for cheaper than 3 exalts, buy that instead.

I would 6S the mantle and then throw fusings at it until 5L

with 6 sockets to work with, will probably get 5 linked in under 150 fusings and might even get lucky and 6L the mantle

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
While true, if he doesn't have the fusings to 5L right now anyway he probably doesn't have the jewelers to 6s either (which takes ~200-300 jewelers on average).

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Also, I looked it up (http://poe.trade/search/orikakobukokiw), you can buy a 5L Infernal Mantle for 1-2 exalts in standard.

The 1 exalt ones look like they're all corrupted, so you will want to make sure the one you buy has the socket colors you want! Most of the 2ex ones aren't corrupted so you could chrome if needed.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I started playing finally, and it is heavily indebted to Diablo II. It's sort of fun so far, but reading these posts make me wary about high level play.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I started playing finally, and it is heavily indebted to Diablo II. It's sort of fun so far, but reading these posts make me wary about high level play.

Do not be wary, there are many stages of high end, and the fun is had all the way. ;)
Honestly the main thing is following a basic guide for a build as it's way too expensive to respec and if you follow a video guide its easy and you get more and more powerful :)
There are plenty of guides on the main forums that are easy to follow and
we will be glad to assist. :)
One thing I will say is that as you level up, your gear matures and your build starts to form it will get more and more fun. :biggrin:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Do not be wary, there are many stages of high end, and the fun is had all the way. ;)
Honestly the main thing is following a basic guide for a build as it's way too expensive to respec and if you follow a video guide its easy and you get more and more powerful :)
There are plenty of guides on the main forums that are easy to follow and
we will be glad to assist. :)
One thing I will say is that as you level up, your gear matures and your build starts to form it will get more and more fun. :biggrin:

I was rocking along until level 40/Act 4. All previous gameplay has been fun, but it got super hard around level 40-44, and I die now almost instantly in some encounters whereas I was blowing through everything before. It appears to be one of those games where you can't just run through and destroy stuff, but actually have to have specific builds to even have a chance and really, that turns me off. I don't look to gaming to have to analyze and pour over details, find the exact armor with the exact gems I need to even survive, and reroll my stats to have a chance. I played on normal so it would be fun, and much of the fun has been lost now. Pretty frustrating for me, and I game to relax and have fun, not be frustrated.

See, you shouldn't have to look up a guide for a build. Every build should be viable, especially on normal. Screw following guides, just for normal gameplay, that is so counterintuitive to gaming.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
You simply shouldn't be dying in normal at all - as long as you have some idea of what you're doing. Share the link to your character so we can see what he/she has going on. What's your resistances? What is killing you so quickly?

As you get higher up, defense is VERY important. I learned that the hard way too. You can't kill anything if you're already dead yourself.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
You simply shouldn't be dying in normal at all - as long as you have some idea of what you're doing. Share the link to your character so we can see what he/she has going on. What's your resistances? What is killing you so quickly?

As you get higher up, defense is VERY important. I learned that the hard way too. You can't kill anything if you're already dead yourself.

I guess I don't know what I'm doing. I'm not really new to these kinds of games, having played through all the diablos, 1-2 and 3, and other similar games, but this game is much more into resists and gear than those are.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I was rocking along until level 40/Act 4. All previous gameplay has been fun, but it got super hard around level 40-44, and I die now almost instantly in some encounters whereas I was blowing through everything before. It appears to be one of those games where you can't just run through and destroy stuff, but actually have to have specific builds to even have a chance and really, that turns me off. I don't look to gaming to have to analyze and pour over details, find the exact armor with the exact gems I need to even survive, and reroll my stats to have a chance. I played on normal so it would be fun, and much of the fun has been lost now. Pretty frustrating for me, and I game to relax and have fun, not be frustrated.

See, you shouldn't have to look up a guide for a build. Every build should be viable, especially on normal. Screw following guides, just for normal gameplay, that is so counterintuitive to gaming.

I understand where you are coming from I really do.
I will say though that there are a tremendous amount of builds that will work through to end game.
Guides are not needed but helpful.
I have played 5 different classes/builds and all have been find to get to 60.
What exactly became so difficult? Maybe we can help you out

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008

PoE isn't going to be for you if you want a faceroll

if you are dying in A4 Normal, then you either don't enough life on gear, resist on gear, and/or enough life nodes in the skill tree

if you want to go glass cannon, you have to have to have great DPS gear, capped resists, and still some level of life sustain so that the build doesn't die a ton

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I guess I don't know what I'm doing. I'm not really new to these kinds of games, having played through all the diablos, 1-2 and 3, and other similar games, but this game is much more into resists and gear than those are.

Lets not throw in the towel yet. :)
share the link to your character(s) and let us see what you got going on.

as I and others have said, there are a million viable builds, but you can't just say "I'm a marauder, I'm putting every dime into strength and bash my way through the game" (which is what I use to do in other such games). POE does require some thought and balance. Life nodes, defensive nodes are twice (or more) as important.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Lets not throw in the towel yet. :)
share the link to your character(s) and let us see what you got going on.

as I and others have said, there are a million viable builds, but you can't just say "I'm a marauder, I'm putting every dime into strength and bash my way through the game" (which is what I use to do in other such games). POE does require some thought and balance. Life nodes, defensive nodes are twice (or more) as important.

Actually, I've found that to be one of my favorite builds... Basically start at Marauder, pick a 2 handed weapon type, grab those nodes, and life nodes, and go. It works really well. You can even go blood magic to make things even more simple. :)