Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
A good fakener can be as good as a Mjolner build, due to not having to invest so much into str and int.

Disagree, Mjollner can cast 2-3x as many spells (2x with a support gem, 3x without) and has ridiculously more HP than Fakener.

Low max HP possibility was my main problem with my Fakener. The crit gear you basically have to use in order to function just does NOT have HP on it. (Maligaro's, Rat's Nest). Not to mention the significant base HP from all that strength you have to stack on Mjolner.

Also Lightning/Molten strike are ridiculously more fun to use than cyclone as far as triggering attacks go, and Vaal Lightning Strike is the greatest thing ever for Mjolner.

My eventual goal now is to save up to get a Voll's Devotion amulet and a Kingsguard chest - Fakener cannot use that chest, and the combo of the two means INSANE healing output.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
ahhhhh

got a Shav last night! Boots!

Clipboard01.jpg

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Homerboy/characters

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Disagree, Mjollner can cast 2-3x as many spells (2x with a support gem, 3x without) and has ridiculously more HP than Fakener.

Low max HP possibility was my main problem with my Fakener. The crit gear you basically have to use in order to function just does NOT have HP on it. (Maligaro's, Rat's Nest). Not to mention the significant base HP from all that strength you have to stack on Mjolner.
The end game fakener have far more spell damage and are far more mobile thank Mjolner.

Also Lightning/Molten strike are ridiculously more fun to use than cyclone as far as triggering attacks go, and Vaal Lightning Strike is the greatest thing ever for Mjolner.

My eventual goal now is to save up to get a Voll's Devotion amulet and a Kingsguard chest - Fakener cannot use that chest, and the combo of the two means INSANE healing output.
This is completely subjective. I actually love cyclone as a skill (have both a fakener and a two handed cycloner) and how it scales with move speed. The skill triggers a pulse when you start your cyclone, so the more move speed, the more pulses you can have. I loved WW barb in D3 as well. I love mobility skills that are viable as damage skills.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
@homerboy Your profile is set to private >_>

@smackababy have you actually played Cyclone in 2.0? You can't microstep cyclone to trigger 10+ attacks per second anymore, cyclone now has a minimum distance of initial hit + one attack (based on your attack speed). Don't get me wrong it's still the strongest melee skill on it's own, but it isn't godmode like it was in 1.3.

I also just strongly dislike cyclone's tendency to get stuck on random bits of the map that I may not see (rocks, etc) and get me killed.

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

Hmmm it doesn't look like it is. I will look into it.
I did get two other uniques last night that were pretty damned good. One for my ranger and one for my marauder. I think I got an amulet too, but I didn't equip it.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
All of those are pretty good leveling uniques. I use Hyrri's on every bow character to meet str/int requirements for my gems until I get into the 50+ range and can use good rare quivers >_>

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
All of those are pretty good leveling uniques. I use Hyrri's on every bow character to meet str/int requirements for my gems until I get into the 50+ range and can use good rare quivers >_>

Its odd you can't view my profile -- it's clearly set to not be private. Very odd

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Its odd you can't view my profile -- it's clearly set to not be private. Very odd

You have to be logged in to the website to view profiles. So, that could be the problem.

@smackababy have you actually played Cyclone in 2.0? You can't microstep cyclone to trigger 10+ attacks per second anymore, cyclone now has a minimum distance of initial hit + one attack (based on your attack speed). Don't get me wrong it's still the strongest melee skill on it's own, but it isn't godmode like it was in 1.3.

I also just strongly dislike cyclone's tendency to get stuck on random bits of the map that I may not see (rocks, etc) and get me killed.

I have. CoC Cyclone is still great. Though, it appears you need jewels to make it work (EB + a few energy shield on hit ones). I have been doing mostly actual cyclone, and it is still good. It isn't super god mode anymore, but still great.

Last edited:

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
2.0 sounds nice! Gives me the itch to reinstall the game and try it again. Never been that far in the game, mostly got to the second settlement and always quit there...doesn't help when you are soloing everything and have no friends interested playing the game.

Is there an AT guild for PoE?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I think homerboy's link goes to the characters tab, which is set to private separately than the other tabs.

I can get to overview and see he's got a 56 ranger in Warbands.

My characters: (I have a lot) https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/JaxOmen/characters

Does this work better?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Homerboy/characters

My Witch is my best character. The ranger is a mish-mash of skills and equipment.

And can somebody explain the leagues and challenges and junk to me? I haven't participated in any yet... dunno if I'm missing out or ???

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Your characters tab is still set to private. It's a separate option from making the whole profile private.

You aren't missing out on leagues/challenges IMO. Leagues are great for people who are big on the public parties/economy parts of the game, because they're a fresh start when the league begins. Challenges are something for nolifers to shoot for, they're completely unattainable if you aren't a player with insane amounts of time on your hands.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Leagues are good if you want to make a quick buck (a lot of high end items are cheap, as there isn't a ton of currency, and you just sit on it until the league turns over and bring it to standard). Other than that, it isn't a ton of fun to level another character with no gear or currency to me.

Challenges / races are good if you know the meta and can do it. Some of them are short enough, you can just blast through them (30 minutes, etc), but some of them you have to have no life to do.

Also, Homer, your stuff is still set to private.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Your witch... is she a summoner? or an ice mage? Skills kinda leave it ambiguous.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Your witch... is she a summoner? or an ice mage? Skills kinda leave it ambiguous.

Summoner... but I cast freezing pulse (otherwise I get bored). Some of those socket skills I don't even use.
I pretty much raise all my minions, set my two auras up. Throw fire totems and then cast freezing pulse. Toss in a flesh offering to rile up the minions.
I'm not very good :) She has been a tank for me until last night -- I was getting destroyed everywhere I went.

That being said, I also played last night with some dude that did a Cycloen COC build. Uhh.,... I want one of those :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQPDdn-2mvA

Looks like A LOT of work to get the right equipment etc.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Cyclone CoC is really fun. It takes a bit of investment though (like 4 ex would get your a good start, but you can't level as one).

Also, I see you're using flame totem. That is easily the best leveling skill. So, you're already meta'd out.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Cyclone CoC is really fun. It takes a bit of investment though (like 4 ex would get your a good start, but you can't level as one).

Also, I see you're using flame totem. That is easily the best leveling skill. So, you're already meta'd out.

LOL I don't know what most of that means :)
Fire totem is easy -- just plop down and let it burn.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Ex is short for Exalted Orb. That is the main currency used in trading.

Cyclone cast on crit requires pretty much two items: Voll's Protector (chest piece that gives you a power charge on crit) and a Vagan dagger (has a "hits cannot be evaded" modifier). A 5L Voll's Protector is around 2 ex and a Vagan dagger with attack speed and crit (even crafted) is about 2 ex. If you want to try out CoC, I have a Voll's Protector I just found that isn't socketed or linked I could let you have and I have a few Vagan's daggers that aren't crafted that could help you.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Ex is short for Exalted Orb. That is the main currency used in trading.

Cyclone cast on crit requires pretty much two items: Voll's Protector (chest piece that gives you a power charge on crit) and a Vagan dagger (has a "hits cannot be evaded" modifier). A 5L Voll's Protector is around 2 ex and a Vagan dagger with attack speed and crit (even crafted) is about 2 ex. If you want to try out CoC, I have a Voll's Protector I just found that isn't socketed or linked I could let you have and I have a few Vagan's daggers that aren't crafted that could help you.

Thanks, but I couldn't take handouts :)
Pretty sure I don't have any Exalted Orbs laying around.

I'm learning a lot!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Ha, alright! If you're ever in the market for some goods, http://poe.trade/ is a shop indexer that makes it easy to find and contact the seller.

Yeah I was thumbing through that the other day. Actually sent a few offers/inquiries and nobody has responded.

Are maps the best place to get items? Maps don't drop until lvl 60+, correct? (I dont have a 60+... heck I don't think I have a character on Mericless yet)

Whats the best place(s) to grind/farm? Dried Lake? Aqueduct? The Climb/The Ledge?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Your best bet for buying items is to whisper them in game. Most people don't check their PMs on the PoE site.

Maps are good, but only because of the high level. Until you're like mid 80s, farming Dried Lake is probably your best bet. Missing mobs isn't a big deal, as you have infinite resets and the divination card that drops in that area is worth a decent amount (The Brittle Emperor is around 3 to 4 ex, I believe). Plus, you have can get the +3 fire gems staffs (ID all staffs above iLevel 55, as they can get the +2 to fire gems AND +1 to gems, which is the dream for most summoners) and a bunch of chaos recipe* items.

Your chaos recipe is a full set (weapons [two handed OR two 1 handed], helm, belt, boots, gloves, chest piece, two rings, and ammy) of iLevel 60 or better. When vendored together you can get a chaos orb and if unID'd, two chaos orbs.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Am I a bad person for wanting to group with Homerboy just to show off now? >_>

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you're not in merciless and you're already struggling, you basically need to start over.

ANY character can clear normal.

A character that is more-or-less the right idea, but probably has too little defenses can eventually clear cruel.

only well-built characters can clear merciless.

General things to focus on that newer/inexperienced players never do right:

1) FOCUS ON DEFENSE. Path of Exile is a game about STAYING ALIVE. There is no threshhold where you are "tanky enough". You absolutely can "do enough damage". This means past normal you need to maintain maximum elemental resistances to every element, and you need to have as much life as possible (don't play Chaos Inoculation below level 60, and only then if you have good gear for it - ES builds are expensive/harder than life builds). You want >1000hp before normal is over, almost 2000hp for cruel, and the sky is the limit for merciless.

2) LAYER those defenses. Big life pool isn't enough. Think about how to reduce/avoid the hits you take so that your big life pool can go farther. Are you going to use armor? Maybe spend some mana reserving Arctic Armor? Maybe use a Cloak of Flames chest to convert some physical damage to fire or a lightning coil to do the same to lightning (where you have 75%+ resist!)? Maybe you want to run Mind over Matter? The more different ways you have to reduce/avoid/mitigate damage, the more likely you will survive.

3) Smart Support Gems. Support gems are how you make your skills not suck. To use a summoner, where your minions do the damage, as an example, you would want support gems such as Minion Damage, Minion Life, but you would also want things such as Melee Physical Damage, Multistrike, etc, depending on the minion. Fortify also works on melee minions and can be huge for their survival.

4) FOCUS your build. Every successful build picks a specific skill/skill interaction and builds around it. For example, one of my characters (https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/JaxOmen/characters) "Voltits" is a witch built around casting the spell Arc. I have a herald of thunder that applies curses for me via the Curse on Hit support, so I can keep casting Arc, I have a "Cast When Stunned" set of gems to keep me alive when random enemies actually make it to me (via passives I can generally keep casting even while stunned :p). And because of the high mana costs, right now I have to run Reduced Mana in my links to be able to afford the spell (I can regen the entire cost during the cast, but my pool isn't big enough to cast with Empower, my preferred link!) Basically, All of your gem links should be for either passive effects, movement, or augmenting your main skill via curses/mob control/etc.

Dried Lake is the single best farming zone pre-maps, it has great mob density (many enemies per screen) and is generally easy to navigate (no mazes), plus Voll has a pretty decent rarity modifier on his drops.