Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Used to play POE during beta - it was fun. Now it's not. They have the "normal" mode and then there is all these leagues, ladders, seasons (whatever all that is called).

There is virtually no one playing "normal", and I don't want to restart a character every time a new season begins just to get access to all the new cool stuff. That is a way to force you to grind over and over again imo.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Used to play POE during beta - it was fun. Now it's not. They have the "normal" mode and then there is all these leagues, ladders, seasons (whatever all that is called).

There is virtually no one playing "normal", and I don't want to restart a character every time a new season begins just to get access to all the new cool stuff. That is a way to force you to grind over and over again imo.

There are plenty of people playing Standard. If you don't wish to participate in the leagues, you don't have to.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
This game seems easier than I remember? I'm level 21 and haven't even remotely come close to dying. In fact, I don't think I've even lost half my health at any time.

I experienced the exact opposite this morning. Started a new character, and right there on that beach with slow as molasses zombies I had to pop multiple potions whenever I stumbled upon a pack of four or more of them. Only one single drop of a weak weapon, and I had to click maybe 3-4 times until I could kill a single zombie. So to kill a pack I had to hit and run, basically kite them in circles (not difficult as they're *really* slow). But really? Having to kite right away as a fresh character? My XP bar also barely moved after each kill, so it's going to be a long time until I could level up and get stronger.

That was obviously zero fun for me so I logged back out after 10 minutes clicking in frustration.

I'm pretty sure this is not the intended experience, so please tell me what I did wrong. I double checked and the difficulty is just 'normal'.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I experienced the exact opposite this morning. Started a new character, and right there on that beach with slow as molasses zombies I had to pop multiple potions whenever I stumbled upon a pack of four or more of them. Only one single drop of a weak weapon, and I had to click maybe 3-4 times until I could kill a single zombie. So to kill a pack I had to hit and run, basically kite them in circles (not difficult as they're *really* slow). But really? Having to kite right away as a fresh character? My XP bar also barely moved after each kill, so it's going to be a long time until I could level up and get stronger.

That was obviously zero fun for me so I logged back out after 10 minutes clicking in frustration.

I'm pretty sure this is not the intended experience, so please tell me what I did wrong. I double checked and the difficulty is just 'normal'.

That's odd. Like I said, I JUST started playing this game (normal) and breezed through the beach. I've made it through the prison now and haven't died once (only came remotely close once because my potion was out and I didn't realize it)

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
That's odd. Like I said, I JUST started playing this game (normal) and breezed through the beach. I've made it through the prison now and haven't died once (only came remotely close once because my potion was out and I didn't realize it)

When you created the character, which one did you choose? I chose the middle one (warden?). Maybe this makes a difference?

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I had the same experience 2 years ago with a templar. Today with a ranger no problems clearing the beach. Was as far as I got before remembering why I'm done with grinding games and logging out.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
From what I recall, whichever class you choose, pick up the first bow or wand you find and just blast away from a distance, the whole beach goes by smoothly that way, including the area boss.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
So, anyone still playing? If you're on Warbands and want to map or do something, add me "RangerWillDobinson"

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I didn't play much TL2, but I really like PoE. It has better end game (and the builds I play are funner) than D3. Leveling isn't also as rigid as most of the class based games. You can use any skill with any starting class and build for anything. Though, some are much better starting places than others for certain builds.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I can't believe how much of a pain A4 is compared to the others. Protip - get some chaos resistance haha.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Probably don't do this.
Will most likely result in getting your account banned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
God I would love a Shavs or Mjoll.

My top character is an 83 CI Crit Arc witch with Pledge of Hands, adding Shavs to lowlife it would be amazing.

I have a "fake mjollnir" character at 79 (cast on crit cyclone discharge with voll's protector), I'd love to make the real thing (romira's RT with multistrike faster attacks chain lightning strike + mjoll discharge/arc/lpen).

Too bad 4x zero drops is still zero drops :p

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I have quite a few high level characters and a like 1500+ hours and no Shavs or Mjols for me lol.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
What's "T1 Drop rate"?
I've only been playing for a little while with a couple of 50ish characters.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
What's "T1 Drop rate"?
I've only been playing for a little while with a couple of 50ish characters.

There are tiers of uniques. The most rare are tier 1 (Shavronne's Wrappings and Mjolner, but there are few others) and have just had their drop rate increased times 4. We don't know the actual drop rate, but if it is like 1 in a million, it is now 4 in a million. The idea is they will drop in value some, now that they are "more available".

They've also increased the drop rate of the Divination cards to make them more farmable, but not trivial to obtain.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
With very few exceptions, the T1 uniques are the "insanely strong uniques that you would create an entire character built around" category of items.

The only T1 unique I own is "Pledge of Hands", for example. Mine is a 5-link. Pledge of Hands gives 100% increased mana, something around 150% increased spell damage, and supports spells socketed into it with LEVEL 30 spell echo (normal max level spell echo is 20). Therefore I effectively am using a better-than-normally-possible 6-link spell, plus the massive mana bonus is enough that I can reserve 92% of my mana *and* regen enough mana to spamcast Arc, my spell of choice. It's CRAZY strong, I got a steal for it when I bought it for 9 exalts (average at the time was ~10 exalts for a 4L or below, ~13+ exalts for a 5L, and like 40+ exalts for 6L).

Shavronne's Wrappings has a bunch of energy shield, plus the mod "chaos damage cannot bypass energy shield", which enables "low life" builds (which take the keystone "pain attunement" to do tons of damage, along with running an abnormally high amount of auras, and have lots of energy shield).

Mjollnir has a chance (30% for the non-legacy version) on every weapon hit to cast any lightning spells socketed in the weapon. This results in psychotic damage, because the weapon itself does decent damage, you can use a 6L attack setup, *and* you trigger 2-3 spells nonstop. It's also just a joy to explode screens with insane amounts of spell effects triggered by Mjollnir.

There's other T1 uniques but Shavs/Mjoll are by far the most sought-after.

Some day I'd like to own them all - T1 uniques enable you to do VERY cool things.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
DigDog, your contributions to this thread are stunning, please tell us more

what's your highest lvl toon?

i got into the mid 70's a couple years back before getting sidetracked by other games

Chaosblade02

Jul 21, 2011
I rage quit PoE right before the patch hit that included the Scion class. They completely gutted my facebreaker build with the aura nerfs. I still haven't decided if I'll come back to PoE. I enjoyed the game, but they're way to excessive with nerf bats. Words couldn't explain how pissed I'd be to play another 3 month league just to get my build nerfed again when the next patch hits. The reason I liked D2 is for the longest time they left stuff alone. I took a break for 2 years, came back and it was the same game. That's refreshing.

Last edited:

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
So uh, I had a Mjollnir drop this morning.

Reworked one of my characters who still had the passive reset from 2.0 into a mjollnir build, bought gear to match it off randoms in poe.trade... HOLY COW THIS THING IS SO COOL.

I don't even have most of the stuff that truly makes Mjoll "OP" (Shavs for lowlife, Kingsguard otherwise, Voll's Devotion amulet), but just spewing out 10+ spells a second is so satisfying, it makes my Fakener (Fake Mjollnir aka Cast on Crit Discharge) character look like crap by comparison (I found it playing my Fakener so I guess it's appropriate >_>)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
So uh, I had a Mjollnir drop this morning.

Reworked one of my characters who still had the passive reset from 2.0 into a mjollnir build, bought gear to match it off randoms in poe.trade... HOLY COW THIS THING IS SO COOL.

I don't even have most of the stuff that truly makes Mjoll "OP" (Shavs for lowlife, Kingsguard otherwise, Voll's Devotion amulet), but just spewing out 10+ spells a second is so satisfying, it makes my Fakener (Fake Mjollnir aka Cast on Crit Discharge) character look like crap by comparison (I found it playing my Fakener so I guess it's appropriate >_>)

A good fakener can be as good as a Mjolner build, due to not having to invest so much into str and int.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
DigDog, your contributions to this thread are stunning, please tell us more

what's your highest lvl toon?

i got into the mid 70's a couple years back before getting sidetracked by other games
here is my contribution: get clean. MMORPGS are a drug and they will destroy your life.
< holder of the dubious "quickest solo levelling a toon to 50 on daoc" award.