Patch Panel, Patch Cable and Keystone Jack Quality Question

E30Mpwrd

Aug 9, 2012
It seems that many people on this forum recommend monoprice for inexpensive network termination solutions, and they sure are cheap! In fact, they're so cheap that to me it raises alarm bells to me--and makes me wonder if you're getting exactly what you pay for?

So my question is whether or not it's worth it to pay a bit more? I suspect that most people on this board wouldn't know if their monoprice gear was of inferior quality--afterall, how many of us are able to test cat 5e or cat 6 connections for throughput to spec? I know I won't be able to.

The one review on monoprice's website for their cat 6 24 port patch panel that does site an actual network test indicates the patch panel failed. It's the only bad review, but it's also the only review I see with any test data.

I'm not buying that much hardware (1 patch panel, 24 keystone jacks and some patch cables to connect up a gigabit switch), and as such, I'm tempted to spend a bit more (a lot more as a %) and go with a brand name--perhaps ICI (from ****************). Not that I've ever heard of ICI or done business with cablingplus.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Tim

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Eh, I've been using Monoprice for years with no issues. Just guessing but I would say most of the equipment they sell that is branded with their namesake is Chinese made. But what isn't today? I think even ICC (you said ICI but I think you meant ICC) are Taiwanese made.

If I'm doing a small job or home I see no reason not to use Monoprice. If I am doing something larger and its mission critical I'd step up to ICC.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
It seems that many people on this forum recommend monoprice for inexpensive network termination solutions, and they sure are cheap! In fact, they're so cheap that to me it raises alarm bells to me--and makes me wonder if you're getting exactly what you pay for?

So my question is whether or not it's worth it to pay a bit more? I suspect that most people on this board wouldn't know if their monoprice gear was of inferior quality--afterall, how many of us are able to test cat 5e or cat 6 connections for throughput to spec? I know I won't be able to.

The one review on monoprice's website for their cat 6 24 port patch panel that does site an actual network test indicates the patch panel failed. It's the only bad review, but it's also the only review I see with any test data.

I'm not buying that much hardware (1 patch panel, 24 keystone jacks and some patch cables to connect up a gigabit switch), and as such, I'm tempted to spend a bit more (a lot more as a %) and go with a brand name--perhaps ICI (from ****************). Not that I've ever heard of ICI or done business with cablingplus.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Tim

Well, in theory, if it is "certified Catagory Xx" it meets the minimum spec for that rating. In many cases, it exceeds minimum spec, at least in some of the various parameters demanded for that level of certification.

Generally speaking, the difference between inexpensive cabling and associated components and "the good stuff" is mostly headroom ... what I mean is that it is more forgiving of minor termination or installation errors and environmental issues.

Also the quality of the components may make it more durable, more resistant to ambient chemicals in the environment, more resistant to UV, offer more forgiving pulling tension (excessive stretch can kill the propagation characteristics that make the cable CatX), or more immunity to crush, kink, torsion, chewing, and resistance to chemical actions with human or animal urine.

For the termination components, higher quality will likely get you better insulation displacement contacts and finger contacts (the thingys that make electrical contact with the plug of the jumper ... then name escapes me ...) and more likely to survive multiple punches / tear-out / re-punch, lateral strain, etc., and resistance to heat (not burning heat; warmer cable degrades faster).

UTP does rot over time. The plastics used to make the sheath and wire insulation out-gas over time and change dielectric characteristics, which change the propagation characteristics of the cable. Heat accelerates that process, as does UV light. So, on a situational basis, better quality cable is more likely to survive longer.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
I tested quite a few monoprice cables on a fluke tester, they all passed.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
The patch cables seem well built (although I'd wonder about their cheap pull boxes).

What about the jacks and patch panels though? I buy a lot of stuff from them, but I have no illusions that they sell only top tier products. Quite frankly, a lot of stuff they sell is almost equivalent to dollar-store products.

To put it another way: I'm fine with them for Gigabit in my own house, but it's not as if I'd outfit a datacentre with Monoprice parts.

Dstoop

Sep 2, 2012
I've bought tons of cables and adapters from monoprice over the years and never had a single problem with any of them. It all seems just as well made as any other retail quality hdmi/cat5/etc. The patch panels and keystone jacks might not survive rigorous multiple punches like others pointed out more expensive, more reputable product might, but honestly how many times do you need to re-punch a keystone where you're worried that the 15 cent jack might break? Just buy a couple extras in-case of duds or breaks.

That being said, I agree with previous sentiments that i'd never use monoprice equipment for a datacenter or anything like that. An HDMI for a conference room or desktop patch cable sure, those are easy enough to replace if something is amiss, but for serious datacomms installations a more trusted source is appropriate. Most of the mark-up in the business world isn't so much for truly "higher quality" parts, but the assurances that it will be done properly and supported properly when reliability is a thousand times more important.

E30Mpwrd

Aug 9, 2012
Thanks all!

I just placed my order for almost everything I needed from Monoprice. The only thing I didn't get from them is my cat 6 patch panel--I ordered one made by Steren. No guarantee that it's better (I know nothing about Steren), but I felt better about buying one where the manufacturer was stated.

Thanks again,

Tim

Last edited:

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Thanks all!

I just placed my order for almost everything I needed from Monoprice. The only thing I didn't get from them is my cat 6 patch panel--I ordered one made by Steren. No guarantee that it's better (I know nothing about Steren), but I felt better about buying one where the manufacturer was stated.

Thanks again,

Tim

I just got done punching down an IP camera install with a Monoprice 24 port patch panel. No problems at all with using it. I had to redo a few of my punches and there were no issues removing the wire and re-punching down the same ports. It does say "Made in China" like I figured. However, I like the quality and price ($25) can't be beat!