Pat Tillman killed by Friendly Fire

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0529tillman29.html

WASHINGTON - Pat Tillman, the former Arizona Cardinals football player who died in April while a U.S. soldier fighting in Afghanistan, likely was killed by friendly fire, an Army investigation has concluded.

News of that finding was disseminated Friday to some members of Congress and some Tillman family members just as the Memorial Day weekend was to begin, including today's dedication ceremonies in Washington of the World War II Memorial.

"It does seem pretty clear that he was killed by friendly fire," said Rep. Trent Franks, R-Ariz., a member of the House Armed Services Committee, which was alerted to the information by the Army's Legislative Liaison Office.

"This does not take away one iota from the heroic nature and courage of the man. The source of that fire is of little consequence in terms of heroism," Franks said. He said that after learning of the Army's conclusions, he made some follow-up inquiries and was satisfied the information was accurate.

Friendly-fire accidents are an inevitable part of warfare, according to an expert, who agreed that it should not diminish acts of heroism.

"It's tragic, and we probably feel worse about it," said Stephen Walt, a professor of International Affairs at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. "But warfare is a inherently unpredictable activity. Friendly-fire accidents are a part of modern warfare and probably existed as far back as the Stone Age."

The Army reported last month that Tillman, 27, was killed April 22 while leading his team of Army Rangers up a remote southeastern Afghanistan hill to knock out enemy fire that had pinned down other U.S. soldiers.

As Tillman and other soldiers neared the hill's crest, the Army reported, Tillman directed his team into firing positions and was shot and killed as he sprayed enemy positions with fire from his automatic weapon.

The Army did not specify who fired the shot or shots that killed Tillman.

For his actions, the Army posthumously awarded Tillman the Silver Star, its third-highest award for combat valor, saying Tillman led his Ranger team that day "without regard for his own safety" and was shot and killed heroically trying to save his comrades. The Army said his actions helped the trapped soldiers maneuver to safety "without taking a single casualty."

Tillman's platoon was in the region as part of a spring offensive called Operation Mountain Storm, aimed at rooting out hard-line Taliban and al-Qaida fighters.

Tillman, who to many people had become a symbol of American patriotism, had walked away from a lucrative contract extension offered by the Cardinals to join the Army in 2002.

Officials at the Pentagon and at Central Command headquarters in Tampa, late Friday declined to provide more details of the investigation's findings.

But an e-mail circulated within the House Armed Services Committee from committee staff members said: "Army just called to give us a heads up. They have every reason to believe the 15-6 investigation shows Pat Tillman was killed as a result of friendly fire."

That same message continues, "The Army has notified his family, so it may come out in the media this weekend."

Army Regulation 15-6 is used as the basis for many investigations requiring a detailed gathering and analyzing of facts, from "fratricide accidents," or friendly-fire incidents, to other matters, including civilian shootings or injuries, accidental weapons discharges or allegations of misconduct.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
:(
rose.gif

Bowmaster

Mar 11, 2002
Yeah, great way to die - but this is a very real possibility whenever anyone goes to war.

Tillman is still someone who is very much to be admired. Guy does something MOST people wouldn't do - actually putting his money (in this case, his very life) where his mouth is. I wish there was a law where the people in charge HAVE TO put their own kids in the theater of battle before starting a war. No, I am not a pussy passivist - I just think starting wars for the wrong reason is doubly wrong.

Klixxer

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2004
Doesn't really matter, he died while doing his duty.

RIP Pat. Your efforts will not be forgotten.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Do you think if the truth was told to us a month ago that he would have been played up to be SUPERHERO2K4?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
Do you think if the truth was told to us a month ago that he would have been played up to be SUPERHERO2K4?

In my view he would have, he gave up so much to go fight.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Tabb
Originally posted by: BarneyFife

In my view he would have, he gave up so much to go fight.

ANYONE who joined has given up so much. Just because his job was more highly paid and he was more widely known should NOT lessen the sacrifice anyone else makes to enlist.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
This DOES matter.

It matters for all the people who used his death as an argument like, "how dare you challenge our war when people like Tillman die." "How dare you suggest the terrorists aren't pure evil and the cause of all problems in the world." "I'm gonna kill a hundred muslims since they killed Pat Tillman."

For those people this friendly-fire cause should be symbolic. Look at your own hearts too when you start ranting about good and evil. Pat Tillman mainly died because of US action. Don't sugar-coat it. Doesn't mean he wasn't brave. It just suggests reality is more complex than mosts chickenhaws want you to think.

imported_Aelius

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2004
This by no means lessens what he did that night, which was save many lives with no regard for his own. It just shows that he was a true professional soldier like so many others.

Having said that it does make a difference to all those who used him as an example of the wrong that the evil Taliban and others have done. As was previously stated, things are a bit more complicated in war than some might think. Especially to those whom never been in one, let alone train for one.

War is a series of screwups, each bigger than the last.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: conjur
ANYONE who joined has given up so much. Just because his job was more highly paid and he was more widely known should NOT lessen the sacrifice anyone else makes to enlist.

I see where you are going Conjur, and if this were a perfect world and I was not an asshola I would most likely agree, but facts are facts, this is not a perfect world and I am an ass so I would have to say given his situation he gave up a whole lot more than 99.999999999% of the rest of the men and women serving alongside him did, remember the army of today is not that of choice but rather circumstance, people join because they need the money, they want the tuition benefits etc etc etc....Tillman gave up gobs and gobs of money so that he could serve, IMHO there is a big difference and unfortunatley I respect his signing up more than the guy who just wants some tutition money or has nothing better to do. Now if you are comparing tillman to others who are into serving and have real skill talent but instead sign up because of the cause and not because they need to then I agree.

just my 2

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: Infohawk
This DOES matter.

It matters for all the people who used his death as an argument like, "how dare you challenge our war when people like Tillman die." "How dare you suggest the terrorists aren't pure evil and the cause of all problems in the world." "I'm gonna kill a hundred muslims since they killed Pat Tillman."

For those people this friendly-fire cause should be symbolic. Look at your own hearts too when you start ranting about good and evil. Pat Tillman mainly died because of US action. Don't sugar-coat it. Doesn't mean he wasn't brave. It just suggests reality is more complex than mosts chickenhaws want you to think.

Umm could you please tell me exactly who said they were going to kill a hundred muslims over Pat Tillman?

and yes terrorist are pure evil...don't think so? Go over there and wear the Star of David around your neck...it won't be there long.

And yes you moron he died because of US action. Action no one else had the balls to take. If it were up to people like you every terrorist and thier brother would have a safe haven in Afghanistan where he died....
l

Format C:

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Wheezer
Originally posted by: Infohawk
This DOES matter.

Umm could you please tell me exactly who said they were going to kill a hundred muslims over Pat Tillman?

and yes terrorist are pure evil...don't think so? Go over there and wear the Star of David around your neck...it won't be there long.

And yes you moron he died because of US action. Action no one else had the balls to take. If it were up to people like you every terrorist and thier brother would have a safe haven in Afghanistan where he died....
l
If it were up to "people" like him there'd be no need for terrorists to hide out in Afghanistan. They'd be in every neighborhood in every country and we'd all be bowing towards Mecca several times a day.