PAT BUCANNAN SAYS HE BELIEVES MANY OF THE 3400 PALM BEACH VOTES WERE INDEED INTENDED FOR GORE!!!

Chef0083

Golden Member
Dec 9, 1999
And this makes a diference how? They aren't going to count those votes. People voted, it's over, done, finito, caput, and any other word that means "for the love of GAWD be over."

CoolTechie

Jul 20, 2000
WTF!!! why are some people bein dix... Personally i dont give a rats ass if it drags on. This is the freakin presidential election and we're a friggin democracy that many people have died for. If there was a mistake in the voting, then F it DO IT AGAIN. Everyone has the right for their vote to count for who they intended to vote for anything less i think is digusting..

Chef0083

Golden Member
Dec 9, 1999
CoolTechie
I am not talking about taking away anything from anyone. What I am saying is the vote is over. They are NOT going to have a run off or do it again. If we let this drag on and on and it ends up in the courts it will make the country look incompetent. For someone who seems pretty patriotic I would think you would not want to weaken out standings internationaly. The fact is that BOTH parties approved those ballots and the vote will stand the way it is once the recount is completed. Now if there is fraud discovered that would change things.

fdiskboy

Golden Member
Sep 21, 2000
CoolTechie.

Everyone DID have a chance to have their vote count. In fact, if people need help, election officials ARE BY LAW required to help them.

Let me ask you, if you were confused in the election booth, would you just pull the lever, punch the card, etc and then leave or would you ask for some help?

I personally checked my ballot TWICE before I put it in the machine. This is very important, so TREAT it that way.

There are NO DO-OVERS in an election. If one county gets to do it, the whole COUNTRY ought to do it.

fdiskboy

Golden Member
Sep 21, 2000
We have run-offs too, just not when people are confused about who they voted for.

I think voting is like driving. We have WAY too many people driving who shouldn't be.

Chef0083

Golden Member
Dec 9, 1999
Nobody kept them from voting, they voted. If they were confused they should have asked for help.

Dougster

Dec 14, 1999

<< If we let this drag on and on and it ends up in the courts it will make the country look incompetent. >>

Too late!

IMO, you're much better off making sure the democratic rights of the people are well and truly upheld. Oh and BTW, having Bush as your President will do your &quot;international standings&quot; way more harm than any legal processes. Some countries even added that they wished that Gore had won when they rushed off their &quot;congratulations&quot; telegrams.

And on another note, is it really true that (I may have misunderstood this) more citizen across the country could have voted for Gore, and yet Bush can still win? (In other words, are people's vote counted as &quot;worth more&quot; depending on where they live and/or what other people have voted in their state.) Excuse my ignorance.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000

<< Republicans noted that the ballot in dispute was approved by Democrat Theresa LePore, the county supervisor of elections.

&quot;The ballot is very straightforward,&quot; said Roberts, the state elections director. &quot;You follow the arrow, you punch the location. Then you have voted for who you intend to elect.&quot;

Baker agreed. &quot;I've heard some suggestions that a ballot was confusing, a ballot that a Democratic election supervisor had approved (and) which had been used in prior elections, so I think we need to back off here a little bit in terms of threatening lawsuits, filing lawsuits, and hurling charges,&quot; he told CNN.
>>

CNN

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
The Palm Beach County ballot does not comply with Florida law. MSNBC just had one of the lawyers on and they read the statute. I think it's clear the ballot is defective. The Florida Supreme Court, if it ultimately hears the matter, will order a re-vote if the Circuit Court judge does not. That's the view of MY lawyer.

Hopefully, the recount will show Gore won and all of this will be moot.

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
If the recount shows Gore ahead, this thing won't be over. The Republicans will try to do the same thing.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is all one big mess...DAMN YOU FLORIDA AND DAMN YOU NADER :)

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
Chess,

does that mean he will force a recount for the previous election where it was used?

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
PennState:

Not true. The Republican voters aren't complaining! They should have complained if they wanted to preserve their objection. The Dem voters complained on election day.

The Republicans can complain if they KNOW some election official from, say, Dade County <cough, cough> reported an extra 20,000 Gore votes in the recount. :p

Moving Target

Dec 6, 1999
They have a pic of the ballot on MSNBC. Looks like if you can read and see past your nose you should have no problem voting for who you want. There is a BIG BLACK ARROW pointing right to the dot you need to punch!

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Stark:

No challenge was mounted to the ballot in the previous election. They didn't realize they had a latent problem. That election is moot.

They just had the Tampa (Hillsborough County) Elections Supervisor on and she strongly implied the Palm Beach County ballot is defective. Her ballot is very different.

The PBC vote will be thrown out and a new election ordered. Count on it unless Bush concedes.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
I notice none of the conservatives on this board think the process should be changed. They have prospered under this archaic process which requires, in effect, a threshhold IQ test to vote. The courts have consistently ruled that such reading or literacy tests are unconstitutional. Even dumb people have the right to vote.

Why aren't the conservatives calling for the money to install computers in our polling places. :p