Pastor who cheered Pulse shootings found guilty of...

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
...child molestation (including a small boy).

Something something about casting the first stone.

http://www.metroweekly.com/2017/04/...ims-deaths-found-guilty-of-child-molestation/

A former drug addict who reinvented himself as an influential pastor and conservative activists and commentator, Adkins is best known for inflammatory comments he has made, including about members of the LGBTQ community.

When the city of Jacksonville was weighing passing LGBTQ nondiscrimination protections, Adkins infamously dressed in drag and posted pictures of himself in wigs on social media, in order to emphasize his belief that expanding the ordinance would allow “men” to go into women’s restrooms and violate their privacy.

“Tonight at 6pm at the Duval Democratic Banquet, Miss Kane in her very short Red Dress will deliver a message to the Homosexuals that have taken over the Duval Democratic Party,” Adkins wrote in a Facebook post. “I am going to ‘pee’ next to your women in the women’s bathroom and let’s see how y’all feel.”

Following the deadly massacre at Pulse nightclub in Orlando last summer, Adkins tweeted that he had “been through so much with these Jacksonville homosexuals that I don’t see none of them as victims. I see them as getting what they deserve!!”

When he was criticized for the tweet, he later backtracked, claiming he was talking about the LGBTQ community in Jacksonville, not specifically the Pulse victims.

He has also previously tweeted: “The Church is under attack…based on recent Supreme Court rulings! Without a standard in your house, the devil (Gays) will ruin it.”

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Born-Agains, yet again. Some of the worst humans on the planet are born agains.

The single fragile thing preventing them from descending back to their monstrous ways is their ever-tenuous belief, crammed repeatedly into their tiny minds by greedy, soulless assholes, that jesus will forgive them their icky behavior and prevent all further evil perpetrated by their hands.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The golden rule is maintained: the more vocal a conservative is in their hatred of LGBT people, the more likely it is they're either a hypocrite or up to some actually sick behavior.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The golden rule is maintained: the more vocal a conservative is in their hatred of LGBT people, the more likely it is they're either a hypocrite or up to some actually sick behavior.

All that repression eventually explodes in very unhealthy ways.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Black guy. Didn't expect that. Meh.

you know, just because you think something, doesn't mean you should say it.

if fact, what you should do is think about the importance of just how much your perception changed based on a picture, even though it wasn't relevant to the topic at hand.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Black guy. Didn't expect that. Meh.
you know, just because you think something, doesn't mean you should say it.

if fact, what you should do is think about the importance of just how much your perception changed based on a picture, even though it wasn't relevant to the topic at hand.

Actually he should say it, erroneous ideas and beliefs can't be challenged when they are kept hidden or silent due to societal taboos that prevents people from calling .the Emperor naked but instead praise him on his new invisible clothes.

Just like when it is shown that there are many white Muslims out there but thanks to pseudo liberal, apologist brainwashing many so called enlightened liberals equate Islam with brown skin and call anyone who criticizes the religion or it's followers racist.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Actually he should say it, erroneous ideas and beliefs can't be challenged when they are kept hidden or silent due to societal taboos that prevents people from calling .the Emperor naked but instead praise him on his new invisible clothes.

Just like when it is shown that there are many white Muslims out there but thanks to pseudo liberal, apologist brainwashing many so called enlightened liberals equate Islam with brown skin and call anyone who criticizes the religion or it's followers racist.

Hmmm. I think that our various defenses to avoid confronting reality or engaging in socially unacceptable or dangerous speech or behavior are there for a good reason.

And, in sentiment, I absolutely agree with you. Thus I will rephrase to my taste:

1. It may or may not be a good idea to say something, but denial or disavowal of an idea is worse. Thus, it is important for us to have avenues to express our deepest biases in some fashion that allows us to work on them. The best expression is not necessarily direct speech.

2. A culture of shaming someone based on the perceived virtues of their speech is bad. It is an inhibition to #1. It compels speech and is contrary to the virtue of free speech even if it does not invalidate it altogether.

3. Sharing a moralistic attitude toward the speech or behavior of another is productive and not shaming. It is simply the difference between communicating "that idea is bad" instead of "you are bad for having that idea".

4. Engaging in shaming another makes you feel better about yourself but does not help anyone recognize and modify a bad belief. Instead, it will reinforce their belief. It may change their behavior, but only in an anxiety-producing, disingenuous, and thus merely partially effective way.

5. Sharing a moralistic attitude, on the other hand, always gets someone closer to challenging their inherent belief so long as they have even a shred of interpersonal positive feelings toward the person sharing that attitude.

6. All this stuff happens mostly unconsciously, and many people have been so influenced by less healthy education methods that they are very far from consciously accepting that their underlying feelings oppose their unconscious beliefs.

7. And now we circle back around to the original post. The likely product of #6 is something called reaction formation. In order to ward off the anxiety caused by consciously realizing someone's own hypocrisy, they engage in speech or behavior that exaggeratedly opposes their unacceptable belief. For example, a man with some degree of attraction toward other men (even a shred if their anxiety is that strong; not necessarily latent homosexuality) -- demonstrates public and overt homophobia. Of course, some people have beliefs and impulses so strong that not even such an overt reaction formation can suppress them acting on them. But, hell, haven't you ever wondered why people with moral conflicts about severe impulses to say, molest children, become Priests, Child Counselors, Coaches, etc.? What a fantastic way to honor the strong prohibition against such actions while sneakily providing you easy access! And politicians who eschew moral values while using their power to sleep around on their wives?

Makes sense, don't it?

But here's the funny part. There are a lot of these people whose reaction formations actually work well enough to suppress the behavior. And, interestingly enough, some progressive good does come out of it from time to time. Funny to imagine that among the most helpful people for society in say, civil rights, may be people who are simply running away from their awareness that they have hardcore racism locked inside them.

LPCTech

Dec 11, 2013
I find that usually anyone who has a conservative, republican and/or religious viewpoint is generally a horrible person who thinks they are really great, innocent, moral and smart.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I find that usually anyone who has a conservative, republican and/or religious viewpoint is generally a horrible person who thinks they are really great, innocent, moral and smart.

Don't be too hard on them. After all, the anxiety that gets warded off via reaction formation exists because they are made to be anxious about things when they are innocent little kids. Even the most horrible people are just people.

But, other than that, everyone uses reaction formation to some extent. By definition, though, you can't know you're doing it.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Yeah, it does change things. Read up on the guy. He is a former drug addict who was able to clean himself up for a time through religion. Obviously he relapsed, but for the most part was already a flawed person trying to right himself. And he failed, ultimately, but at least he tried. It's sad, but meh.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yeah, it does change things. Read up on the guy. He is a former drug addict who was able to clean himself up for a time through religion. Obviously he relapsed, but for the most part was already a flawed person trying to right himself. And he failed, ultimately, but at least he tried. It's sad, but meh.

Yes, but why is it important that he's black?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Same here.

Why are people being so snowflakey over that?

How is this being a "snowflake?" I'm just curious why he thinks the fact he is black matters here at all. The point of the thread is that he has been extremely anti-gay (and anti-sex) in his rhetoric, and then is found to have molested two teenagers, one of them male. AFAIK, hypocrisy is color blind. Being black makes him no more or less of a hypocrite.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
How is this being a "snowflake?" I'm just curious why he thinks the fact he is black matters here at all. The point of the thread is that he has been extremely anti-gay (and anti-sex) in his rhetoric, and then is found to have molested two teenagers, one of them male. AFAIK, hypocrisy is color blind. Being black makes him no more or less of a hypocrite.

The guy's skin color really doesn't matter. I don't think anyone said that was really important to the story. But personally, if I had to of guessed I would have guessed more of a Josh Duggar than a black man. It really isn't important either way, but the fact that someone mentioned the guy's skin color seems to have some people here in a kind of overly PC mode. I think some people are social justice warrior'ing too hard here.