Pastor Ted Haggard accused of having gay encounters with a male prostitute

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: StormRider
I will never understand how a gay man would try to rise to a position of power only to use that power to punish other gays.

Talk about self hatred.

It's also the reason I am always suspicous about people who hate gays -- makes me wonder about them.

No wonder Republicans profess to be against gays, they would have quite a power struggle amongst their own ranks.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: alien42
cnn breaking news:

"Scandal-hit evangelical pastor Ted Haggard in a letter to his congregation confesses to a "lifelong" sexual problem."

no details yet.

I scooped ya! :p

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/05/haggard.allegations/index.html

He is finally outed

In the letter read Sunday, Haggard took responsibility for his actions, saying "I am guilty of sexual immorality" and noted that "the things I did opened the door for additional allegations."

He asked the congregation to also forgive his accuser, who Haggard said has revealed "the deception ... that was in my life."

In a separate letter from Haggard's wife, also read by Stockstill, Gayle Haggard said while her heart is broken, she remains "committed to him until death do us part."

An overflow congregation responded to the announcement with a standing ovation.

His wife seems pretty dumb! We even got to the forgiveness level now. Now he will ask everyone to help him cure his "immoral" horrible disease of being gay. :roll:

LEDominator

May 31, 2006
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: 1prophet
The Overseers have passed judgement and recommended removal if he did not resign.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15536263/">Haggard resigns from Colorado church
Board finds evangelical leader guilty of ?sexually immoral conduct?</a>
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Rev. Ted Haggard agreed to resign Saturday from his New Life Church after its independent investigative board recommended removal, saying he was guilty ?of sexually immoral conduct.?

?We, the Overseer Board of New Life Church, have concluded our deliberations concerning the moral failings of Pastor Ted Haggard,? a statement from the church said. ?Our investigation and Pastor Haggard?s public statements have proven without a doubt that he has committed sexually immoral conduct.?

Luke 12:2-3
2For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known.

3Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops.

Resident Republicans still stand behind him??? :shocked:

And that statement has anything to do with Republicans how???

I feel bad for his family right now, but I think it shows something that his church still stands with him (cnn article, standing ovation). I wish more people could be like that and not push gay people into a corner. They need support. btw, someone made the comment his wife was dumb. Because its dumb she wants to follow what she believes and stick with her husband... If anything it just shows that at least she practices what she believes.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Dean
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/05/haggard.allegations/index.html

He is finally outed

In the letter read Sunday, Haggard took responsibility for his actions, saying "I am guilty of sexual immorality" and noted that "the things I did opened the door for additional allegations."

He asked the congregation to also forgive his accuser, who Haggard said has revealed "the deception ... that was in my life."

In a separate letter from Haggard's wife, also read by Stockstill, Gayle Haggard said while her heart is broken, she remains "committed to him until death do us part."

An overflow congregation responded to the announcement with a standing ovation.

His wife seems pretty dumb! We even got to the forgiveness level now. Now he will ask everyone to help him cure his "immoral" horrible disease of being gay. :roll:

No dumber than the forgiveness the Amish showed the killer of their children, unless you consider forgiveness itself to be dumb.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Sadly I would say that this public Christianity mega church thingi is is a disease where sin forgiveness and redemption are put on public display and everybody gets to experience traumatic and upsetting feelings all soothed over by God. People get to experience and endless loop of self feeding degradation compassion and redemption which fills up their empty lives. It looks for all the world like drug addiction and we see it over and over and over and over again. How about we shut down these clown churches or at least put a sin tax on them. Of course, if we shut them down the nuts would infect some other institution. Perhaps we should see them as sanitariums.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Zebo
When he starts fying planes into buildings, chopping heads of infidels and apostates, and otherwise antisocial behavior like condoning rape of losly cothed womens (or boys in his case) I'll worry about Mr. Haggard.
When he starts hypocritically abusing his position as a "moral authority" as president of the National Association of Evangelicals, an umbrella group representing more than 45,000 churches with 30 million members by preaching bigotry and hatred directed at a group of people whose only sin or crime is loving someone of the same sex while, at the same time, immersing himself in the depths of drug abuse and prostitution among the group he professes to hate, I'll worry about Mr. Haggard.

Oh... Wait a minute... He already did that! :shocked:

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Harvey
When he starts hypocritically abusing his position as a "moral authority" as president of the National Association of Evangelicals, an umbrella group representing more than 45,000 churches with 30 million members by preaching bigotry and hatred directed at a group of people whose only sin or crime is loving someone of the same sex while, at the same time, immersing himself in the depths of drug abuse and prostitution among the group he professes to hate, I'll worry about Mr. Haggard.

Oh... Wait a minute... He already did that! :shocked:

Exactly!!. I wonder how long it will be before they try to force their message across even harder? We all know how this horrible disease can even infect even a higher moral authority such as as poor Mr. Haggard. I can see them trying to make just being Gay illegal now. They have to protect our kids right?:D

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
There's talk of forgiveness of this guy, but I don't see it yet. Where's his sorrow at having attacked gays so wrongly for so long, his opposition to equal rights?

He's been nothing but a dishonest power grabber, and his handling of the revelation of his wrongs has added more wrongs. First he denied knowing the guy; oops, he had a phone recording that was proven Ted's voice about buying drugs. OK, he bought drugs, but no sex, referred by the hotel concierge.

Oops, the masseuse advertised only in gay sex publications and was not referred by hotels. Now he admits to 'sexual indiscretions'. This isn't someone 'coming clean', it's someone continuing their pattern of lying as much as they can get away with it.

The whole organization is itself demeaned by their own ignorant evil-doing - their anti-gay positions are based on a false opinion that gays 'choose' their orientation, and they can't realize how wrong they are even when their leader, who has every reason to choose not to be gay, is still homosexual/bisexual in orientation.

They're corrupt with power, drunk in their own propaganda that they're morally upstanding and harming innocent people in the name of their morals. It's very ugly to see bigotry with the trappings of morality.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
It looks like the guy may have been lying in his tales of homosexual sex with the good pastor link
Haggard also commented on a polygraph test administrator's finding that Jones' answers to questions about sex with Haggard had been "deceptive" during a lie-detector test Friday.
"We're so grateful that he failed a polygraph test this morning, my accuser did," Haggard told 9News. Jones was not asked about drugs during the test.

So he didn?t have sex with the guy, which the pastor still denies. Of course still leaves the charges of drugs and all that out there. But the pastor has an excuse for that too? I bought the drugs, but I didn?t use them. :roll:
There's no such thing as a "lie detector" test. A polygraph measures several physiological characteristics while the subject answers questions. All the polygraph can do is establish that stress exists. The stress may exist because the subject is lying, but it can also exist for a million other reasons.

From Wikipedia Polygraph article
The National Academy of Sciences found that the majority of polygraph research was of low quality. After culling through the numerous studies of the accuracy of polygraph detection the NAS identified 57 that had ?sufficient scientific rigor?. These studies concluded that a polygraph test regarding a specific incident can discern the truth at ?a level greater than chance, yet short of perfection?. The report also concluded that this level of accuracy was probably overstated and the levels of accuracy shown in these studies "are almost certainly higher than actual polygraph accuracy of specific-incident testing in the field.?

This is why polygraph results are considered inherently unreliable and why polygraph results are inadmissible in a court of law. The main "legitimate" use of polygraphy is as a "confessional" tool by the CIA, NSA, and other security organizations: If the subject believes the test is valid, he/she is more apt to spill the beans.

The forgegoing information being the case, your conclusion, "So he didn't have sex with the guy . . . " is absurd. Get a little more educated on polygraphy, and then come back and bore us some more with your tendentious posts.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
"Pastor Apologizes for 'Sexual Immorality' "

"The fact is I am guilty of sexual immorality. And I take responsibility for the entire problem. I am a deceiver and a liar. There's a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I have been warring against it for all of my adult life," he said.

so, yeah... looks like he did sleep with him.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/05wire-haggard.html

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
"The fact is I am guilty of sexual immorality. And I take responsibility for the entire problem. I am a deceiver and a liar. There's a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I have been warring against it for all of my adult life," he said.

Yes, nothing more repulsive and dark than fundamentalist Christianity that he's been trying to get free from all his life.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
Hate to bring it up, but: Is his wife as bad as Hillary?

Hillary may have been a fool for staying with Bill. They basically kept their marriage issue regarding Bill's opportunistic fling quiet during the aftermath. Their Marriage may only be a Marriage of convenience at this point. Nobody knows except them.

Haggard's wife is most likely questioning her dilemma right now also . She is probably wondering on what scale of fraud this Ted is. Her blind faith may keep her clinging for a while, but at some point she will realize that his entire life is a lie.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
In a letter read to members of his New Life Church Sunday, Haggard said he is "a deceiver and a liar."
Sounds like he'd be a perfect fit for this Administration.

Oct 30, 2004

Absolutely hillarious. What was even funnier was a video showing a woman in the audience (listening to his confession) crying. I just rolled around on the floor laughing. I can just see these people saying, "We are blind sheep, who will lead us now? Who will tell us what to think?"

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: LEDominator
I feel bad for his family right now, but I think it shows something that his church still stands with him (cnn article, standing ovation). I wish more people could be like that and not push gay people into a corner. They need support. btw, someone made the comment his wife was dumb. Because its dumb she wants to follow what she believes and stick with her husband... If anything it just shows that at least she practices what she believes.

the people in Haggard's church do not believe in the existence of instriniscally gay people. They think gay is a choice. (An immoral choice). So they don't believe Haggard is gay. Rather, they think he is a heterosexual man who has made evil/ immoral choices to experiment with a "gay lifestyle". Haggard will be sent of to some quack therapist or psychiatrist with a view to 'curing' him of his homosexual tendencies. As long as he doesn't "come out" as a gay man, I think they will continue to support him. Of course, if Haggard acknowledged his homosexual attractions to the world by embracing a gay identity, and refused to be ashamed about his sexual orientation, the church would completely reject him and cast him out from the church.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004

Hillary may have been a fool for staying with Bill. They basically kept their marriage issue regarding Bill's opportunistic fling quiet during the aftermath. Their Marriage may only be a Marriage of convenience at this point. Nobody knows except them.

it's kind of immature to separate or immediately file for divorce due to sexual infidelity. It takes more courage and maturity to try and work things out.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
apples and oranges. there is a big difference between getting a straight bj and having a regular affair with a gay man for years while under the influence of drugs and preaching against all of the above. we all know there have been many great politicians who have had straight affairs without the hypocrisy. infidelity is morally wrong in all cases but haggard and clinton can not be compared.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Absolutely hillarious.

What was even funnier was a video showing a woman in the audience (listening to his confession) crying.

I just rolled around on the floor laughing.

I can just see these people saying, "We are blind sheep, who will lead us now?

Who will tell us what to think?"

Haggard needs a new job, maybe I can recruit him to train me how to lead the Sheeple.

Minus the paid male prostitute and drugs though so I may not be as fun on the pulpit.

Nothing against Prositution though, I'd make it legal, that goes for MJ too.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: alien42
apples and oranges. there is a big difference between getting a straight bj and having a regular affair with a gay man for years while under the influence of drugs and preaching against all of the above. we all know there have been many great politicians who have had straight affairs without the hypocrisy. infidelity is morally wrong in all cases but haggard and clinton can not be compared.

I'd have to agree that this is on a different level.

Though looking at Hillary I can hardly blame Clinton for getting a few quickies in the the oval office. The man had to stay sane somehow, though he should have came clean (no pun intended) when the allegations surfaced.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: aidanjm

it's kind of immature to separate or immediately file for divorce due to sexual infidelity. It takes more courage and maturity to try and work things out.

Have you ever had a woman cheat on you? I love your simplistic viewpoint of the world.