Pastor Orders Women To 'Submit'

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Tennessee Pastor Orders Women To 'Submit' Because The 'Feminist Rebellion' Is Destroying America

Dr. Ashley E. Ray, senior pastor of Ridgeway Baptist Church of Memphis, told his congregation on Sunday that women needed to submit to their husbands in all things, and that the "feminist rebellion" was responsible for many of the problems the country was facing.

"There is a divine hierarchy in marriage," Ray explained, reading from the book of Ephesians. "Wives submit to your own husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church."
And then he added a message from the book of Timothy: "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence."

"That's saying that the man was to lead," he explained. "When the lady led [in the Genesis creation myth], the human race fell. When Adam allowed his wife to lead him -- and it's his fault not hers -- but when he allowed that, the human race fell."
So which one of you that calls yourself liberal would support this pastor, don't you think there is one too many like him in the USA?

So why would you support bringing in more people with like minded if not worse religious beliefs from the Mideast by the thousands, don't you think we have enough to deal with of the homegrown variety?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Tennessee Pastor Orders Women To 'Submit' Because The 'Feminist Rebellion' Is Destroying America

So which one of you that calls yourself liberal would support this pastor, don't you think there is one too many like him in the USA?

So why would you support bringing in more people with like minded if not worse religious beliefs from the Mideast by the thousands, don't you think we have enough to deal with of the homegrown variety?

No we need more. My ancestors were savages until they came to America. Liberal America is the light of the world, no? You poor bigot, your kids will be ok.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

Who cares what an evangelical fundamentalist Christian preacher tells his congregation? Don't give one crap what he says....then again, I grew up in the Bible Belt, so I've heard that and worse over my 60+ years, and will continue to ignore that claptrap.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009

Compare Muslim treatment of women with how Christians treat women. There really is no comparison. The Koran tells husbands to beat their women if they get out of line.

http://quran.com/4/34

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
and I can tell you what most of those women at that sermon told their husbands in the parking lot as they were leaving. Went something like don't even think about it or go pound sand. Anyone who has been married or had a relationship with a religious woman knows this.

Rhonda the Sly

Nov 22, 2007
I was hoping he was going to tell them to submit all their tax forms on time. You win some and you lose some, I guess.

As an atheist, it is interesting how much religious text is basically ignored by followers because of how times have changed. To any religious folk in here: are these parts typically acknowledged in church or are they skipped over entirely?

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
He's actually partly right. Recent studies have shown that marriages are "happier" when the man makes the major decisions and traditional roles are practiced. Don't agree with they should be silent though, that is not biblical at all. In the end, all marriages need to have someone who has 51/49 on a really tough decision and that needs to be understood beforehand so emotions aren't involved. And also the pastor needs to read the rest of Ephesians 5, not just cherrypick shit.

22Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord.
23For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.
24But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.
25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her,

26so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word,
27that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless.
28So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself;
29for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church,
30because we are members of His body.

31For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
32This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church.
33Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must see to it that she respects her husband.

Pretty obvious what it is implying there. The Bible is very clear - man is to lead the family and have final say on decisions, but love his wife like he loves himself and Christ loves the Church. Nothing in there about the wife being silent or her having no voice, men are to value her wisdom like they value their own. And to reiterate, recent studies show that this hierarchy = happier marriages. It's built into our DNA and how we evolved and a few decades of women trying to be men isn't going to change that.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
He's actually partly right. Recent studies have shown that marriages are "happier" when the man makes the major decisions and traditional roles are practiced. Don't agree with they should be silent though, that is not biblical at all. In the end, all marriages need to have someone who has 51/49 on a really tough decision and that needs to be understood beforehand so emotions aren't involved. And also the pastor needs to read the rest of Ephesians 5, not just cherrypick shit.

22Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord.
23For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.
24But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.
25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her,

26so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word,
27that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless.
28So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself;
29for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church,
30because we are members of His body.

31For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
32This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church.
33Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must see to it that she respects her husband.

Pretty obvious what it is implying there. The Bible is very clear - man is to lead the family and have final say on decisions, but love his wife like he loves himself and Christ loves the Church. Nothing in there about the wife being silent or her having no voice, men are to value her wisdom like they value their own. And to reiterate, recent studies show that this hierarchy = happier marriages. It's built into our DNA and how we evolved and a few decades of women trying to be men isn't going to change that.

In the sense that he is simply preaching the bronze-aged "morality" of his bible, yes: Of course he is right.

In the sense that he is an immoral arbiter of the worst bits of a poisoned faith desperately clawing to remain relevant in a modern society: no, of course he isn't right.

But it's amusing to watch anyone try to defend this kind of scum.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Compare Muslim treatment of women with how Christians treat women. There really is no comparison. The Koran tells husbands to beat their women if they get out of line.

http://quran.com/4/34

Um ... the Bible says to kill women if they're not virgins upon the wedding night. And the story of Sodom explicitly condones rape of unmarried women when the father says so.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Oh yeah. The Bible is so clear on this that we get so many disagreements (interpretation) among Christians. No matter what, everyone is right as there is always a passage to support their claim.

The Bible never contradicts.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
My Mother told me to marry a woman like her who could make every decision my Father made seem like his own and to say, that's exactly what I was thinking.

The thing I notice about people is that what is important to one is not important to another, and what one may have great capacity in, another may not at all. This has led me to the conclusion that the person with the strongest interest in something, the one with the greater passion, and or, the one with the greatest capacity to understand an issue should be the one to make a particular decision. My father made the money for food, but my Mother cooked what she wanted to cook and we ate it. My Mother decorated the house and my father did the lawn. I can remember running through freshly washed sheets hanging out in a gentle breeze and bathing in the ozone like smell of Clorox. What a paradise this world is.

And pay no attention to the Bible at all when it says to love others like you love your own flesh because the original sin we are all guilty of is self hate.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012

I support your idea that someone's opinion would simply have to be left out for the marriage to make progress, and that doesn't mean the woman's opinion should always be.

While all ideas can be equally voiced, they are NOT equally valid.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It's hard to measure happiness, and people lie on surveys, especially if they think "God" is watching.
Woman can always choose to defer to her husband's decision in some cases if it makes for a happier marriage. There is no need to to have a Bible thumper telling her that "God" wants her to.

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
And also the pastor needs to read the rest of Ephesians 5, not just cherrypick shit.

Actually, I believe the reference is to 1 Corinthians 14, which says women should be silent in church, to the extent they should wait and ask their husbands at home if they have questions.

Since that is bat shit crazy, it has been interpreted non-literally as a mere prohibition against female clergy or simply ignored.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Actually, I believe the reference is to 1 Corinthians 14, which says women should be silent in church, to the extent they should wait and ask their husbands at home if they have questions.

Since that is bat shit crazy, it has been interpreted non-literally as a mere prohibition against female clergy or simply ignored.

As long as the Bible has been around, this sort of ignorance is sad.

In verse 28 of that chapter, it also says: "if there is no interpreter, HE (males) should keep silent in the congregation".

Verse 30: " ..let the first speaker keep silent"...

In other words, if you read the entire chapter, its speaking about not blurting out in Church, not some manufactured misogynist bullcrap you're spouting.

Read the entire chapter , good grief, and learn a thing or two...

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
In the sense that he is simply preaching the bronze-aged "morality" of his bible, yes: Of course he is right.

In the sense that he is an immoral arbiter of the worst bits of a poisoned faith desperately clawing to remain relevant in a modern society: no, of course he isn't right.

But it's amusing to watch anyone try to defend this kind of scum.
hahaha poisoned faith. You mean poisoned faith with happier marriages for Republicans and those who celebrate traditional roles? Good luck in your relationship where the woman makes all of the decisions. Not only will you hate yourself, but she'll lose respect for you as well.

The findings are broadly consistent with previous work, also based on national surveys, finding that Republicans are happier with their lives than Democrats on average and also more likely to be married.

"Children in conservative parts of the country are more likely to grow up with both parents than in liberal ones."

The researchers acknowledge that the gap could stem from people’s attitudes toward life — and survey questions — rather than from the quality of their marriages. “Perhaps Republicans are more optimistic, more charitable or more inclined to look at their marriages through rose-colored glasses,” they write in the article, which was published by the Institute for Family Studies. But it also seems possible that the more respect and even reverence for the idea of marriage in conservative communities affects people’s behavior and attitudes toward their marriages.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/18/upshot/republicans-say-they-are-happier-with-their-marriages.html

Note Ephesians 5:33, where it says for the man to love his wife (not ignore her b/c of football/video games/work/he'stootired) and the wife to respect her husband. Respect. That's a word lost on many married women nowadays. Which behooves the question, can women really respect a man if women are making all of the important decisions and pulling in the money while the "man" wants to stay at home playing mommy? I would argue no. F no. Note that it's actually okay if the woman makes more, that is just one variable. But the data shows respect really drops when the woman is making the prime decisions in the marriage.

Still not convinced? Let's look at traditional gender roles now.
A study called “Egalitarianism, Housework and Sexual Frequency in Marriage,” which appeared in The American Sociological Review last year, surprised many, precisely because it went against the logical assumption that as marriages improve by becoming more equal, the sex in these marriages will improve, too. Instead, it found that when men did certain kinds of chores around the house, couples had less sex. Specifically, if men did all of what the researchers characterized as feminine chores like folding laundry, cooking or vacuuming — the kinds of things many women say they want their husbands to do — then couples had sex 1.5 fewer times per month than those with husbands who did what were considered masculine chores, like taking out the trash or fixing the car. It wasn’t just the frequency that was affected, either — at least for the wives. The more traditional the division of labor, meaning the greater the husband’s share of masculine chores compared with feminine ones, the greater his wife’s reported sexual satisfaction.
As Sheryl Sandberg encourages women to “lean in” — by which she means that they should make a determined effort to push forward in their careers — it may seem as if women are truly becoming, as Gloria Steinem put it, “the men we want to marry.” But these professional shifts seem to influence marital stability. A study put out last year by the National Bureau of Economic Research shows that if a wife earns more than her husband, the couple are 15 percent less likely to report that their marriage is very happy; 32 percent more likely to report marital troubles in the past year; and 46 percent more likely to have discussed separating in the past year. Similarly, Lynn Prince Cooke found that though sharing breadwinning and household duties decreases the likelihood of divorce, that’s true only up to a point. If a wife earns more than her husband, the risk of divorce increases. Interestingly, Cooke’s study shows that the predicted risk of divorce is lowest when the husband does 40 percent of the housework and the wife earns 40 percent of the income.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/magazine/does-a-more-equal-marriage-mean-less-sex.html

So women are trying to be more like men, but are upset that their sex lives suck and then want to get a divorce.

The Bible got it right the first time. Men should aspire to make 51% of the final decisions (i.e. lead the family) and do 40% of the housework that isn't feminine (lawnwork, fix shit, unload dishwasher, car work, finances). Like the data shows, if you want a stable marriage then you marry a woman who doesn't want to be a man and only worry about career. Making more money/being more educated/Republican also helps the percentages but isn't a marriage-breaker.

Zin, if you want to get married and have a successful marriage then you should take note. Don't fall for the egalitarian bullshit.

Last edited:

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
The passage is about effective communication to facilitate communal learning about God. Three rules are laid out.

1. If the other people won't understand what you are saying, don't talk.
2. Only one person should speak at a time.
3. If you are a woman, shut the hell up and talk to your husband when you get home, because it is a disgrace for women to speak in church.

In sum, men should only talk when it will be useful and women should never talk.

Having read the entire chapter, it is clear that the chapter is extremely mysoginistic.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
It can't be this...

The passage is about effective communication to facilitate communal learning about God.

..and this at the same time:

Having read the entire chapter, it is clear that the chapter is extremely mysoginistic.

Dumbass doubling down I see.

Just say "my bad, I was wrong" instead of this piss-poor attempt at saving face..

Last edited:

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I was hoping he was going to tell them to submit all their tax forms on time. You win some and you lose some, I guess.

As an atheist, it is interesting how much religious text is basically ignored by followers because of how times have changed. To any religious folk in here: are these parts typically acknowledged in church or are they skipped over entirely?

Religion is only tolerable in free democratic societies when its followers ignore large chunks of their faith. If you follow it all, as you're supposed to, you'll wind up in prison. This preacher is actually sticking to the message, it's the ones who stick to the message that come off crazy. The rest pretend all the kooky stuff isn't in there.

It would be interesting to know how many followers of whatever faith in these countries know that it's all nonsense but still show up to church once in a while because that is how they were raised. There is likely a decent chunk of them who are rational enough to know that the religious myths don't hold up to evidence anymore but continue to identify as religious for reasons other than belief.