Pastor Haggard back in the news

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...re_us/disgraced_pastor

Disgraced pastor Haggard: I was abused as child

Cue the chorus of geniuses here led by BB who are stuck in 1930, if not 1830, who will no doubt cling to this story as rock solid proof that people are gay because of some traumatic experience as a child. There will no doubt be people reading this story across the country in rural towns sagely nodding their heads, as this story only serves to confirm what they already knew. Matt Taibbi mentions this pathetic ignorance in his book, The Great Derangement, where he spends some time undercover in one of Hagee's evangelical churches down in Texas. The pastor there often harped on how homosexuality is only ever the result of children either getting sexually abused or falling too hard on their heads. Taibbi seems to think the guy sincerely believes what he's peddling too.

As an outed gay man, Haggard could have taken the high road and tried to make something of his life, but instead decided to go to 'don't be gay anymore therapy' which he claimed was successful in curing him. Andrew Sullivan says he can only feel pity for Haggard, and I suppose that not being gay I don't have any idea what kind of personal hell living in the closet is, but I really can't feel any pity for this guy.

Slavery ended over 150 years ago, but we still have those who cling to racism. Women have proven men's equal in every field yet sexism is not resigned completely to the past. Decades from now when homosexuals will have achieved the equality they too deserve, I'm sure we'll still have those few remnants of society which cling to their backwards beliefs and long for good old days of the 20th century when gay bashing was a pastime. But I didn't plan on spending much time in Oklahoma this century anyway.

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Scientists are able to manipulate the "gay" gene in fruit flies. Its only a matter of time before they figure out where the human "gay" gene is too. Hopefully that will be enough to shut up the bigots and homophobes.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
No halfway rational person equates abuse with homosexuality merely because there's an example of a hypocrite doing so. Post hoc ergo propter hoc; and worse, a man fallen from grace will say anything to regain it, and playing the abused role is an expedited pathway for doing so.

It's not uncommon for people to preach against the very things they do. How does the saying go? He who preaches the loudest? I saw Haggard before his fall in some news special, and my first thought was that he was gay.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Zeppelin2282
Scientists are able to manipulate the "gay" gene in fruit flies. Its only a matter of time before they figure out where the human "gay" gene is too. Hopefully that will be enough to shut up the bigots and homophobes.

I sincerely doubt it. Many derive their opinions not from science or any sort of thought process, but rather what's consistent with their religious beliefs. I don't see that changing.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
With out an invented underclass, how could these people justify their delusions of grandeur and superiority?

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: jonks
"They study fruit flies with our earmarks! I kid you not!" - Sarah Palin

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/10/28/palin

One small problem with that Sarah. Unlike you, those critters might serve an actual purpose.

I don't think the genetics argument will win over that crowd. But what do you expect from people who think jesus rode a dino.
The genetics argument is irrelevant. I have my rights because I am a person. Choosing to be one way or the other does not take these rights away any more than being born with green eyes should affect them. I wish people would understand that. And no, I'm not arguing that homosexuality isn't genetic. I'm simply stating that it doesn't matter at all to me if it is, nor should it to anyone else. If I choose to be homosexual (something I find hard to fathom), I shouldn't be treated any differently than if I were born that way.