Past year was a lost opportunity to raise money for alternative energy research

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Raising money for alt energy research?

https://www.americanprogress.org/is...clean-energy-investment-in-the-united-states/

The private market has long raised and spent a ton money on this. (That was the most recent info I could find quickly.)

We don't need the govt involved in this. It's not govt's job either.

Solyndra?

Fern

I would argue it's not the governments job to blow 7 billion of tax payer dollars covering big oil's costs of doing business but they do it anyway and few Republicans would speak out against it. I'd sooner see that subsidy go to R and D even if results after that money is spent is not guaranteed. A subsidy for something society needs that is otherwise not immediately profitable enough for a business to pursue is a worthy subsidy. Subsidizing big business that want a hand out is not.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
I would argue it's not the governments job to blow 7 billion of tax payer dollars covering big oil's costs of doing business but they do it anyway and few Republicans would speak out against it. I'd sooner see that subsidy go to R and D even if results after that money is spent is not guaranteed. A subsidy for something society needs that is otherwise not immediately profitable enough for a business to pursue is a worthy subsidy. Subsidizing big business that want a hand out is not.

Instead of R and D, how about implementation of what we know already works?

With the money we have wasted on these recent wars we could have completely overhauled our infrastructure, and we would have a mostly green power grid.