Passwords

yellowjello

Mar 30, 2000
Iv'e got an esay question for all of you. How do I password protect my computer so nobody can use it? I know there is a Windows log on password feature, but I tried setting a password so when the computer booted, all I had to do was hit cancel and Windows started like normal. Maybe I'm forgetting to do something here, but can someone show me how to correctly do this? Im using WinME

Thanks

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
That little windows password thing is only so you can keep identities to keep things private. My reccomendation for keeping people from using your computer, take the processor with you.

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
there is a registry tweak you can do so that you cannot hit the cancel button or the X button.

yellowjello

Mar 30, 2000
Well I just setup a BIOS password, thanks ulfwald(cool name).

Now Iv'e got another annoying problem. Like I said, I setup a windows user password, so now I wanna remove it cause the stupid thing asks for a windows logon password everytime now. How can I remove this?

Nevermind, I got this fixed. Turns out I had to log in with the username and password I created, then change the password and leave it blank.

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
Once in windows, do a search on *.pwl files, delete all those, then log out then back in with no password. this should help to eliminate the use of the password.

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
lol win 2l eh? :D :p

btw, REMEMBER the BIOS password.....if you forget it, you'll have to take out the battery that keeps it alive for a while, and when you boot again, it will have forgotten everything and all hardware needs to be reinstalled......so......

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
There's a bunch of little utilities out there that will force the user to enter a PW (can't hit cancel, can't simply create a new user account etc), take a quick look on tucows under the windows utilities section.

By the way, Windows 98/Me etc do NOT have real security, so no matter what you do, don't count on anything being truly secret or secure on there.......