Password Management Software, replacement recommendations?

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
I currently use Kaspersky Password Manager and I am tired of everytime firefox comes out with an update the capability to use the autofill functions disappears until Kaspersky updates their software (It takes them FOREVER to update it)

So.... I am seeking a replacement, free if possible since I already paid for KPM, I wish to import the KPM database (very important as I have over 200 notes/logins contained in it)

I want the same security safety and encryption with a master password
I want the functionality of the portable version
I want to be able to sync my portable version and desktop version so they update together
I would love to keep the autofill functionality that detects the URL's within the database and automatically fills logins and such from the data

I am not sure if the format that KPM saves the database file is a standard format but it might be important to know as well its *.pws

Mide

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2008
Doesn't have all of those features you need but I've been using Password Safe for years

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
Doesn't have all of those features you need but I've been using Password Safe for years

I will check it out, as long as it has the most important ones It might be worth giving it a try.... the biggest problem I think ill run into is migrating all the information...

FoxFifth

Feb 16, 2010
Last edited:

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
I'm also a LastPass fan and have used it for several years. They will import from a variety of sources and will also import from a CSV file if Kaspersky can export to one. http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/getting-started/importing-from-other-password-managers/

According to a post on their support forum, Kaspersky uses Sticky Password and that is one of the imports that LastPass supports: http://forums.lastpass.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44419&p=266029&hilit=kaspersky+import#p266029

Thanks for finding and posting that information for me, I appreciate it.

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003

thx, so far it looks like I need to evaluate both Roboform and LastPass and see which one makes me happier. :) KeePass would be good but I really like the autoform fill functionality.

Any experiences with issues when browser updates roll out with Roboform/LastPass?

FoxFifth

Feb 16, 2010
I've used LastPass for several years on a Windows 7 machine with Firefox always updating to the latest version and IE (occasionally), on an iPhone 4 with several versions of iOS, and also for the last 6 months or so on a MacBook using Safari -- and have never had an issue with an update. One thing to be aware of with LastPass is that data is stored encrypted at their site and some are not comfortable with that -- although that is a feature for me. I'm not sure which other password managers do the same.

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
I've used LastPass for several years on a Windows 7 machine with Firefox always updating to the latest version and IE (occasionally), on an iPhone 4 with several versions of iOS, and also for the last 6 months or so on a MacBook using Safari -- and have never had an issue with an update. One thing to be aware of with LastPass is that data is stored encrypted at their site and some are not comfortable with that -- although that is a feature for me. I'm not sure which other password managers do the same.

I am in conversations with Roboform at the moment about possible utilization of it since they have student discounts, but their annual fee after discounts applied is $20, small price to pay I feel for the functionality.

I like the security and encryption they're using but they too offer the same sort of setup (its optional called Roboform Everywhere) of course they have many many other versions as well such as a USB only mobile version but I am sure that it wouldn't offer the same flexibility, so its either give up the storage of the data to place it in the 'cloud' for them to manage and you login to a web portal **OR** take care of it yourself but have to put up with headaches from browser updates/changes where-in your usb version might not work or will need updated.

watdaflip

Feb 11, 2013
I use 1Password, it's a paid program, but it's not too expensive

- Everything is encrypted (master password is key for decrypting)
- I've never had an issue with the firefox plugin not working after an update,
- There is a portable version. I believe it's still browser based, and not sure about syncing (Haven't used it so can't really comment too much about it).
- It can sync using dropbox so all your computers/mobile devices stay synced.
- The browser plugin needs you to select what data to autofill with, but it has that feature.