Passively cooling an rx 560?

DidelisDiskas

Dec 27, 2015
Are there any passive heatsinks that support amd polaris? I would like to try and put something on my asus rx 560 2gb that is a pcie only card, no pin required. I have found "ARCTIC Accelero S3", but it does not have any of the new amd cards on the supported list. I'd think that i would need something that would at least be able to dissipate around 90w~. That would leave some headroom for my card, even though it should only be around 70w~.

Anyone have any experience with this?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I really don't think that you're going to find a DIY passive heatsink that can dissipate 90W. That's a pretty tall order. I think a card like the GT1030 is probably close to the limit for what you can do passively, without 3 lbs of heatsink on both sides of the PCB.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
to passively cool something putting out 70-90w you are going to need something the size of a D15 or even larger. How exactly do you plan on attaching something that large to a GPU? lol

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
If a Fury can be passively cooled, an RX 560 should be able to be passively cooled :)

But I'm assuming you don't want to build the cooler yourself...

DidelisDiskas

Dec 27, 2015
I really don't think that you're going to find a DIY passive heatsink that can dissipate 90W. That's a pretty tall order. I think a card like the GT1030 is probably close to the limit for what you can do passively, without 3 lbs of heatsink on both sides of the PCB.

to passively cool something putting out 70-90w you are going to need something the size of a D15 or even larger. How exactly do you plan on attaching something that large to a GPU? lol

Well i did say that i found the "ARCTIC Accelero S3" and it says in the specs that it can dissipate up to 135w (in well ventilated cases), and it's not super huge. Since i'm not sure that it would fit on my rx 560, i thought that maybe there is something similar on the market, but seems like there aren't any other mainstream passive coolers from my search on the net.

Two of my last cards coolers gave out very quickly, so having this light card i thought that i might put an end to that. Dealing with retailers and warranties around here is a huge pain. Anyway, i will probably marinate on this thought for some time.

Last edited: