Passing Prime95 v 27.7 but not stable

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
So this new prime95 27.7 has something called AVX instructions.

I ran it 26 hours, and it failed at the 25 hour mark. It completed a full blend loop at ~ 21 hours. 15 minute tests and there are 82 total tests.

Stable enough for me... or so I thought.

But it crashes in Black Ops about 10 minutes into games. I increased vcore offset 0.01 and its stable.

I know there's another version of prime without the avx instructions. So this throws a wrench in the stability testing.

What is this AVX instruction set and should I be running an older version of prime95 without avx?

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
I don't *think* AVX makes a difference. A buddy of mine found this about Prime when Sandy Bridge was first released... I don't think it's a very useful test anymore.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
So this new prime95 27.7 has something called AVX instructions.

I ran it 26 hours, and it failed at the 25 hour mark. It completed a full blend loop at ~ 21 hours. 15 minute tests and there are 82 total tests.

Stable enough for me... or so I thought.

But it crashes in Black Ops about 10 minutes into games. I increased vcore offset 0.01 and its stable.

I know there's another version of prime without the avx instructions. So this throws a wrench in the stability testing.

What is this AVX instruction set and should I be running an older version of prime95 without avx?

Prime95 w/AVX is not stress-testing the same instructions that Black Ops is executing.

Your CPU has over 700 instructions, each of which need to be able to reliably operate at your OC'ed speed.

x86ISAovertime.jpg

Stress tester programs like Prime95 and IBT are only testing a subset of the total instruction set. But it does it in a way that is designed to heat up the CPU and really flesh out the majority of instabilities in your system.

But it can never uncover all of the instabilities. For that you are supposed to continue checking the stability of your system with more applications that increase the range of instructions you have essentially "validated" on your OC'ed system.