Partitioning drive for DVR

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I am upgrading a 13 y.o. PC-based security DVR with PCI capture card (16CH NTSC); mobo, CPU, the works (reusing the case/chassis). Old config used one HDD (160GB) for both OS/system and video capture data, all on the same partition/volume. New HDD is 2TB (Seagate SkyHawk AV).

I'm just going to use one HDD, same as before, but wondering if it is better for access conditions to create secondary partition for the DVR data, or won't it much matter? OS will be Win7 Pro, AHCI mode, Intel RST drivers. Already created 120GB partition for primary/OS/system, but have option to either extend it out to entire capacity or create 2nd partition from the remaining space. TIA!

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Won't really make that much difference, however, having a dedicated OS partition means you can blow it away easily and clean install any time you want.

Reactions: tcsenter

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Won't really make that much difference, however, having a dedicated OS partition means you can blow it away easily and clean install any time you want.
Thanks I went ahead and created 2nd partition.

Original PC is 2003-era single core Netburst P4, 512MB RAM (DDR1), Intel 845G chipset, IDE drives running XP and GeForce MX4000 PCI (DX7) with most caps bulging/domed. Blast from the past. New configuration is Core2 E8500, Intel G45/ICH10R, 8GB DDR3, Intel GMA 4500, 2TB HDD and W7 x64. Not "new" tech but still perfectly good, trying to save the owner a bit of money by using some low-hour system pulls/parts I snagged for cheap (except for brand new HDD).