Partition Table Error #122 -- Partition Magic, Please Help...

WDCentral

Jan 10, 2001
After attempting to install Linux I get this error: Partition Table Error #122 in Partition Magic. All my partitions do not show, only one yellow bar. I can however still boot to Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Windows 2000 Professional and all seems to be fine, I just can't partition anything..

Anybody know what I can do??

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Looks like Powerquest's site is down, but I found this on Google:

Error 122 A bad sector was found in the current or new partition area

The partition cannot be moved safely because there is a bad sector in the new or current partition area. When you see this error message, the move operation will be aborted before any corruption can occur. Try moving the partition to a different place. If your hard disk has bad sectors, we recommend that you replace the hard disk. You can work around the problem in one of the following ways:

1. Create the partition as an Unformatted partition and then use DOS to format it.

2. Turn off Bad Sector Checking in PartitionMagic and then create the partition and then use SCANDISK to find and mark the bad sectors as bad.

Dave

GeneW

Feb 19, 2001
I've had the same thing happen try chkdsk or remove the bad partition with disk manager

WDCentral

Jan 10, 2001
I tried CHKDSK, but it says "Errors found. Cannot continue in Read-Only mode". How do I fix that?

WDCentral

Jan 10, 2001
Also, I would imagine the problem is with the linux partition, which im sure Windows CHKDSK cannot fix. Partition Magic says the partition tables though.. please help