Partition SSD

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by pcslookout, Nov 13, 2009.

1. pcslookout

pcslookout Lifer

Should I partition my SSD ? Say 20 to 30 GB for Windows and Applications the rest for Games ? This is with a 80 GB Intel G2.

The reason I want to partition it so games are on a different letter is because when I go to image my hard drive it won't be nearly as big when just doing the OS and applications. Then again would it just be better to leave it as one big partition and exclude all the game folders ? Not sure how good exclude folders work in imaging programs. Never tried it before. Has anyone had success with it in True Image?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Partition Forum Date
    How should I partition my hard drive? Memory and Storage Jul 8, 2017
    Confusion: One EFI/GPT per system, each disk, or each partition? Memory and Storage Jun 14, 2017
    Partitioning drive for DVR Memory and Storage Apr 22, 2017
    removing Apple partition from USB drive Memory and Storage Feb 9, 2017
    Possible to re-partition Raid 5 smaller without data loss? Memory and Storage Jan 18, 2017

3. RebateMonger

RebateMonger Elite Member

It doesn't seem worth the bother to make a System volume image and exclude folders. When you restore, you are going to have Registry entries for your games that are no longer current.

Making and restoring an image of an 80 GB volume is pretty fast. If you partition it, you run the risk of a too-small System partition and will also waste space (since you have two partitions that must each have free space to function).

4. pcslookout

pcslookout Lifer

Yeah but some games are well over 10 GB it is worth imaging all that information as well? It will take longer to create and restore a image because of this.

Not sure what I am going to do.

5. RebateMonger

RebateMonger Elite Member

Well, the image backups of my PCs are all automated and incremental, running every night. So the imaging time doesn't make much difference to me.

Restores are done very seldom. And 80 GB takes maybe an hour for a full restore.

Consider that if you Do need a restore, and have stuff missing or some Registry data that doesn't match the rest of your system, how much time is it going to take to fix it or re-install the missing programs?

I prefer taking a little longer to restore and knowing that everything will work perfectly once it's done.

#4 RebateMonger, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009