Participation rate... contact idle members!

Thoreau

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2003
Adul was mentioning something about the participation rate on our team being in the neighborhood of 27%. If this is anywhere near the case, is there any way that we could contact all of the idle members by email? I would think that it certainly couldn't hurt to rally existing members back to action in addition to the extreme recruiting that we have been doing.

If anyone can get all of the email addresses into an MS Access database, or a SQL script to build a table and populate it with said information (either a MS SQL server script, or mySQL) I can probably let my mail server be used to do a one-time mass email to everyone in the database. If we could revive even 10-15% of that roster, it would help us out *immensely*.

Just my opinion, i'm never wrong. :D

moonshinemadness

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2003
Sounds a good idea, We did try a few and i think out of 20 people i got 5 back in the running. I dont know who has that kind of data, probably Crazee or Smoke.

Thoreau

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by: moonshinemadness
Sounds a good idea, We did try a few and i think out of 20 people i got 5 back in the running. I dont know who has that kind of data, probably Crazee or Smoke.

That would be my guess. Don't know if team leaders have the ability to see all email addresses, or if some are still blocked out, but it's definitely worth a shot in my opinion.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
[I can probably let my mail server be used to do a one-time mass email to everyone in the database. If we could revive even 10-15% of that roster, it would help us out *immensely*.

If needed my mail server can be used as well.
I know some providers frown on mass mailings.

Thoreau

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by: SNC
[I can probably let my mail server be used to do a one-time mass email to everyone in the database. If we could revive even 10-15% of that roster, it would help us out *immensely*.

If needed my mail server can be used as well.
I know some providers frown on mass mailings.

Woohoo! New relay for me! Er, uh, the team!

Idoxash

Apr 30, 2001
Hopefully when this team moves over to SETI 2 "Astro" or whatever the others be we won't have or let ppl stay idle or whatever. I would like a smaller team of ppl that does work for the team instead of a huge team where ppl don't work. Even thoe if it means we are futher behind other ppl in the stats.

--Idoxash

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
That would be something good to do that could raise participation rate pretty nicely! If you need any help, LMK, I can help with most things if it involves CGI, Perl, PHP, writing things, etc.

Coolkid

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2003
I was thinking the exact same thing ;)

You will have to get the addresses off either Smoke or Crazee I think :)

moonshinemadness

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2003
Ok, couldnt get hold of smoke, must have missed him before he left, spoke to Crazee and he is going to bump this thread later to throw around a few ideas of how we could address this idea.

Mikee

Idoxash

Apr 30, 2001
I went to place (Idoxash and StarUPlink) back on Team Anandtech and found out both of them were already on the TeAm! Anyways I put my main computer working on StarUPlink and I'm goign to look into getting my other computer back going. Last time I had it on it was overheating badly and I have no ideal seeings everything even the fan is ok on it. It's not much power but some at least ... My main computer should get 4 to 5 units a day and if I get the other pc going it should do 3 to 4 a day.

--Idoxash

EvilWobbles

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2001
The idea of contacting idle TeAm members gets kicked around here once or twice a year. The biggest problem is that many of the addresses people use to join Seti are no longer in use and it is very difficult to track these people down.

I helped with this task about a year ago (without the database or mass-mailer) and only was able to contact 2 or 3 people. I'm not sure this is a path we need to travel. I think we should focus on the new people who are excited about Seti and we should channel that energy rather than track down people who abandoned the project for one reason or the other.

EW

ICXRa

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
Yep I think you got a good point EW!
This topic comes around every so often and I don't think it's a bad idea at all but it seems the returns are small for the effort put into it!

titanmiller

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2003
Sounds like a very good idea to me if we have the resources available. If we could get 150 idle members back each running a single midrange machine that could add close to 900WUs per day (6 per new user). But as mentioned obtaining the addresses will be the had part, if they are easily available then it is worth the try, but if they are hard to gain access to then we probably should allocate resources elsewhere.
If we do try the mass mailing and 50% have abondaned their address and of those only 33% come back we would still have ~340 more active members (if my calculations are correct), worth the try I believe, especially if this helps tie them into TA Seti2/astropulse.