Part of me died when I saw this cruel killing

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
EVEN by the stupefying standards of Iraq?s unspeakable violence, the murder of Atwar Bahjat, one of the country?s top television journalists, was an act of exceptional cruelty.

Nobody but her killers knew just how much she had suffered until a film showing her death on February 22 at the hands of two musclebound men in military uniforms emerged last week. Her family?s worst fears of what might have happened have been far exceeded by the reality.

Bahjat was abducted after making three live broadcasts from the edge of her native city of Samarra on the day its golden-domed Shi?ite mosque was blown up, allegedly by Sunni terrorists.

Roadblocks prevented her from entering the city and her anxiety was obvious to everyone who saw her final report. Night was falling and tensions were high.

Two men drove up in a pick-up truck, asking for her. She appealed to a small crowd that had gathered around her crew but nobody was willing to help her. It was reported at the time that she had been shot dead with her cameraman and sound man.

We now know that it was not that swift for Bahjat. First she was stripped to the waist, a humiliation for any woman but particularly so for a pious Muslim who concealed her hair, arms and legs from men other than her father and brother.

Then her arms were bound behind her back. A golden locket in the shape of Iraq that became her glittering trademark in front of the television cameras must have been removed at some point ? it is nowhere to be seen in the grainy film, which was made by someone who pointed a mobile phone at her as she lay on a patch of earth in mortal terror.

By the time filming begins, the condemned woman has been blindfolded with a white bandage.

It is stained with blood that trickles from a wound on the left side of her head. She is moaning, although whether from the pain of what has already been done to her or from the fear of what is about to be inflicted is unclear.

Just as Bahjat bore witness to countless atrocities that she covered for her television station, Al-Arabiya, during Iraq?s descent into sectarian conflict, so the recording of her execution embodies the depths of the country?s depravity after three years of war.

A large man dressed in military fatigues, boots and cap approaches from behind and covers her mouth with his left hand. In his right hand, he clutches a large knife with a black handle and an 8in blade. He proceeds to cut her throat from the middle, slicing from side to side.

Her cries ? ?Ah, ah, ah? ? can be heard above the ?Allahu akbar? (God is greatest) intoned by the holder of the mobile phone.

Even then, there is no quick release for Bahjat. Her executioner suddenly stands up, his job only half done. A second man in a dark T-shirt and camouflage trousers places his right khaki boot on her abdomen and pushes down hard eight times, forcing a rush of blood from her wounds as she moves her head from right to left.

Only now does the executioner return to finish the task. He hacks off her head and drops it to the ground, then picks it up again and perches it on her bare chest so that it faces the film-maker in a grotesque parody of one of her pieces to camera.

The voice of one of the Arab world?s most highly regarded and outspoken journalists has been silenced. She was 30.

As a friend of Bahjat who had worked with her on a variety of tough assignments, I found it hard enough to bear the news of her murder. When I saw it replayed, it was as if part of me had died with her. How much more gruelling it must have been for a close family friend who watched the film this weekend and cried when he heard her voice.

The friend, who cannot be identified, knew nothing of her beheading but had been guarding other horrifying details of Bahjat?s ordeal. She had nine drill holes in her right arm and 10 in her left, he said. The drill had also been applied to her legs, her navel and her right eye. One can only hope that these mutilations were made after her death.

There is a wider significance to the appalling footage and the accompanying details. The film appears to show for the first time an Iraqi death squad in action.

The death squads have proliferated in recent months, spreading terror on both sides of the sectarian divide. The clothes worn by Bahjat?s killers are bound to be scrutinised for clues to their identity.

Bahjat, with her professionalism and impartiality as a half-Shi?ite, half-Sunni, would have been the first to warn against any hasty conclusions, however. The uniforms seem to be those of the Iraqi National Guard but that does not mean she was murdered by guardsmen. The fatigues could have been stolen for disguise.

A source linked to the Sunni insurgency who supplied the film to The Sunday Times in London claimed it had come from a mobile phone found on the body of a Shi?ite Badr Brigade member killed during fighting in Baghdad.

But there is no evidence the Iranian-backed Badr militia was responsible. Indeed, there are conflicting indications. The drill is said to be a popular tool of torture with the Badr Brigade. But beheading is a hallmark of Al-Qaeda in Iraq, led by the Sunni Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

According to a report that was circulating after Bahjat?s murder, she had enraged the Shi?ite militias during her coverage of the bombing of the Samarra shrine by filming the interior minister, Bayan Jabr, ordering police to release two Iranians they had arrested.

There is no confirmation of this and the Badr Brigade, with which she maintained good relations, protected her family after her funeral came under attack in Baghdad from a bomber and then from a gunman. Three people died that day.

Bahjat?s reporting of terrorist attacks and denunciations of violence to a wide audience across the Middle East made her plenty of enemies among both Shi?ite and Sunni gunmen. Death threats from Sunnis drove her away to Qatar for a spell but she believed her place was in Iraq and she returned to frontline reporting despite the risks.

We may never know who killed Bahjat or why. But the manner of her death testifies to the breakdown of law, order and justice that she so bravely highlighted and illustrates the importance of a cause she espoused with passion.

Bahjat advocated the unity of Iraq and saw her golden locket as a symbol of her belief. She put it with her customary on-air eloquence on the last day of her life: ?Whether you are a Sunni, a Shi?ite or a Kurd, there is no difference between Iraqis united in fear for this nation.?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-2168496,00.html
---------------------

That is so wrong on so many levels. How these people can call themselves religious and go ahead and do this to this poor woman. They didn't kill her fast they tortured her before she was killed.

This article a great example of what Iraq has become ....

Really sad and heart breaking :-\

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
:(
rose.gif

I can't help but wonder how any individual, regardless of affiliations, becomes so depraved. I've met a lot of less-than-savory people in my time, but cannot conceive of anyone being capable of this.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
:disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :| :disgust: :|

iamtrout

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2001
It is times like these that I wish I had the power to hunt down and slaughter each and every one of these guys. To have them face a mirror and be forced to watch as I take a saw and proceed to hack off their arms, then their legs, then slice a nice deep line across their belly, spilling their intestines. Then I'd kick them a few times in the back and watch the blood gush out of the wound. Finally I'd drag them to the edge of a building, tie one end of their intestines to a pole, and then kick them off the side so they may hang, naked and mutilated, for all to see. Before I leave I would write the words "I am Allah. How DARE you kill in my name?" in blood on the roof of the building.

Oh how we can hope...

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
The people who do these things deserve nothing but undignified extermination.

bdude

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2004
Brutal...but what is to be expected from that Hobbesian world halfway 'cross the world.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Aimster
How these people can call themselves religious and go ahead and do this to this poor woman. They didn't kill her fast they tortured her before she was killed.

rose.gif

But but but we liberated them from the evil Saddam, shirley they have to be better off.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
How these people can call themselves religious and go ahead and do this to this poor woman. They didn't kill her fast they tortured her before she was killed.

rose.gif

But but but we liberated them from the evil Saddam, shirley they have to be better off.

Yes, during sadam... you would not hear about the killing of journalist... at least now, you can hear about it... OR perhaps sadam would not do such a thing --- after all, it was all "good" back then.. no mass killings... no murding... etc... just an utopia...

In any case, bad things do happen to good people... hoping some marine kills the murders in some raid... that would be justice..

-Eleison

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Uggh. I wish I had not read the description of her murder. This will haunt me for some time. Very sad and heart breaking. :( :brokenheart:

No one deserves to die like that. What kind of person can inflict such cruelty on another person like that? It's like a bunch of the worst serial murderers you can imagine running around loose in Iraq now. It makes you wonder what the hell is going on over there.

Meuge

Banned
Nov 27, 2005
Sadly, this isn't limited to Iraq. The rampage of the muslim extremists reaches far and wide, and no amount of secondhand knowledge can do its horror justice.
Really sad and heart breaking :-\
Absolutely. For me, it was watching a similar video of the torture and subsequent beheading of a Russian soldier in Chechnya. Had it also been a woman, I don't know if I could bear it. At the time I felt that it was necessary for my development as a human being to watch it, and I was right... but it was truly a hearbreaking, and a life-altering experience. Regardless of the violence we see on TV and in movies, I could never imagine that someone can do such horrors unto another human being.

The men committing these atrocities are not people, and they must be exterminated... without torture, without cruelty, but with cold precision that would leave none alive.

astrosfan90

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Meuge

The men committing these atrocities are not people, and they must be exterminated... without torture, without cruelty, but with cold precision that would leave none alive.

Good luck with that.

Unfortunately, I think this sort of savagery is implanted somehow in human nature. Things such as this crop up anywhere lawlessness occurs, or worse, anywhere a group is given total control over another, such as in dictatorships. Reading accounts of the tortures and murders of prisoners in various situations in Latin America in the 80s is very similar, as would be anything describing the sorts of things that happen even today in parts of Africa.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: astrosfan90
Originally posted by: Meuge

Good luck with that.

Unfortunately, I think this sort of savagery is implanted somehow in human nature. Things such as this crop up anywhere lawlessness occurs, or worse, anywhere a group is given total control over another, such as in dictatorships. Reading accounts of the tortures and murders of prisoners in various situations in Latin America in the 80s is very similar, as would be anything describing the sorts of things that happen even today in parts of Africa.

Man is the biggest natural predator of man.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: StormRider
Uggh. I wish I had not read the description of her murder. This will haunt me for some time. Very sad and heart breaking. :( :brokenheart:

No one deserves to die like that. What kind of person can inflict such cruelty on another person like that? It's like a bunch of the worst serial murderers you can imagine running around loose in Iraq now. It makes you wonder what the hell is going on over there.

I agree. I wish I hadn't read that as well...really sickening. How some one could do that to a person I'll never know. Just awful and disturbing.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Originally posted by: iamtrout
It is times like these that I wish I had the power to hunt down and slaughter each and every one of these guys. To have them face a mirror and be forced to watch as I take a saw and proceed to hack off their arms, then their legs, then slice a nice deep line across their belly, spilling their intestines. Then I'd kick them a few times in the back and watch the blood gush out of the wound. Finally I'd drag them to the edge of a building, tie one end of their intestines to a pole, and then kick them off the side so they may hang, naked and mutilated, for all to see. Before I leave I would write the words "I am Allah. How DARE you kill in my name?" in blood on the roof of the building.

Oh how we can hope...

Man...I'm glad your on our side

Originally posted by: eleison
Yes, during sadam... you would not hear about the killing of journalist... at least now, you can hear about it...

Yep, you would hear of this under Saddam too, just not as often

JOURNALISTS KILLED ON DUTY: 68*

Responsibility:
? Insurgent action: 42 (Includes crossfire, suicide bombings, and murders.)
? U.S. fire: 14 (CPJ has not found evidence to conclude that U.S. troops targeted journalists in these cases. While the cases are classified as crossfire, CPJ continues to investigate.)
? Iraqi armed forces, during U.S. invasion: 3 (All are crossfire or acts of war.)
? Iraqi armed forces, post-U.S. invasion: 1 (Crossfire)
? Source unconfirmed: 8

Text

rose.gif
for the newest one :(

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005

Oh how we can hope...

Isn't it hypocritical to condemn these murderers for torturing their victims before killing them, and then advocating the exact same practice one sentence later?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Yeah I wonder who would do this...The sad part is no one really knows. At times we ALLEGE it is sunnis, or shi'ites but we have no concrete evidence either way so it remains a mystery.

BTW...what the hell does this mean:

Bahjat, with her professionalism and impartiality as a half-Shi?ite, half-Sunni, would have been the first to warn against any hasty conclusions, however. The uniforms seem to be those of the Iraqi National Guard but that does not mean she was murdered by guardsmen. The fatigues could have been stolen for disguise.

That makes absolutely no sense :\ Half Sunni Half Shi'ite? What is Next? "I'm half methodist half evangelical", "I'm 25% reform Jew, 75% Orthodox"? Lets make some SENSE out of things atleast SOME things people....

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Ever wonder in society, who in ours would become these types of "individuals" if placed in the same circumstance? Would they be mostly made up of people who are criminals and who murder now? Or others ... interesting questions IMO

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
Originally posted by: magomago
Yeah I wonder who would do this...The sad part is no one really knows. At times we ALLEGE it is sunnis, or shi'ites but we have no concrete evidence either way so it remains a mystery.

BTW...what the hell does this mean:

That makes absolutely no sense :\ Half Sunni Half Shi'ite? What is Next? "I'm half methodist half evangelical", "I'm 25% reform Jew, 75% Orthodox"? Lets make some SENSE out of things atleast SOME things people....

More like I'm 50% Catholic and 50% Protestant...

^_^

iamtrout

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: blackllotus

Oh how we can hope...

Isn't it hypocritical to condemn these murderers for torturing their victims before killing them, and then advocating the exact same practice one sentence later?

I don't care. If there is a God, I would gladly forfeit my soul in his eyes to become the murderer of murderers.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Genx87

Man is the biggest natural predator of man.

Very true

Good one :thumbsup:

Topic Title: Part of me died when I saw this cruel killing
Topic Summary: A cruel murder of one of Iraq's best female journalist.

Is there any murder that is not cruel??? :confused:

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
Just this week in my new hometown, a group of young men without purpose were enraged by another drivers actions. They folled him and killed him with a shot to the back of the head. This is Heartland America, and the victim was unknown to the attackers. All face Capital Murder charges.

It happens here as well. It is not unique to Iraq.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I don't care. If there is a God, I would gladly forfeit my soul in his eyes to become the murderer of murderers.
Then you are no different than those you despise and hate.

jrenz

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
Then you are no different than those you despise and hate.

So you believe that there is no difference between a man who kills out of unsubstantiated hatred, and one who kills to remove evil from the world?