Parody threads

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000

Can anyone clarify the official position on parody threads? I have searched through the history and found some that were ignored or just not reviewed, others that have resulted in a temp ban, and others in which the mods have posted but not banned. In the past it has seemed like it can go either way at the mods discretion.

Does anyone know if there is an absolute rule one way or the other? It would be useful to know what does and does not result in a ban.

Mods if there is a problem with this post, please lock and let me know. I'm honestly just looking for clarification.

We can't see every post so some get by us. Stupid people think we just ignored it and see favortism. Do YOU read every thread/post on AT?
Parodies will get locked and may earn you some time off.
AnandTech Moderator

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
The funnier the parody the less the punishment. But they are rarely funny so people normally get a vacation.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Zolty
The funnier the parody the less the punishment. But they are rarely funny so people normally get a vacation.
depends on who it is. sometimes they are just locked and sometimes the mod wields the banstick.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Turin39789

Can anyone clarify the official position on parody threads? I have searched through the history and found some that were ignored or just not reviewed, others that have resulted in a temp ban, and others in which the mods have posted but not banned. In the past it has seemed like it can go either way at the mods discretion.

Does anyone know if there is an absolute rule one way or the other? It would be useful to know what does and does not result in a ban.

Mods if there is a problem with this post, please lock and let me know. I'm honestly just looking for clarification.

We can't see every post so some get by us. Stupid people think we just ignored it and see favortism. Do YOU read every thread/post on AT?
AnandTech Moderator

Well, I guess that pretty much sums up this thread...:laugh:

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Yeah, from my experience, parodies usually just get locked. The ban stick usually comes out when there is a parody fest revolving around the same topic and people are essentially just spamming or if the parody is just offensive / in really bad taste (e.g. Original thread: OMG, I can't find my baby!; Parody: I just stole a baby!).

AnandTech Moderator

Staff member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: So
Yeah, from my experience, parodies usually just get locked. The ban stick usually comes out when there is a parody fest revolving around the same topic and people are essentially just spamming or if the parody is just offensive / in really bad taste (e.g. Original thread: OMG, I can't find my baby!; Parody: I just stole a baby!).

Who let this dog out? <Bark bark>
:laugh:

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Turin39789

AnandTech Moderator
</end quote></div>

Well, I guess that pretty much sums up this thread...:laugh:

Yea, the mods have spoken. Still would like to know where the line is between lock/ban, but I think after this thread/my recent bannination I'm not making any for a while.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: AnandTech Moderator
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: So
Yeah, from my experience, parodies usually just get locked. The ban stick usually comes out when there is a parody fest revolving around the same topic and people are essentially just spamming or if the parody is just offensive / in really bad taste (e.g. Original thread: OMG, I can't find my baby!; Parody: I just stole a baby!).</end quote></div>

Who let this dog out? <Bark bark>
:laugh:

:p

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Waits for...
Topic Title: Parody threads
Topic Summary: please eradicate me

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: clamum
Originally posted by: LeiZaK
I really enjoy parody threads. It is too bad that they are a no-no.
Me too, if they aren't half-ass done.

I submit this one for your judgment:
parody
original

Please be gentle and provide constructive feedback if you dislike it.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Waits for...
Topic Title: Parody threads
Topic Summary: please eradicate me

i was thinking more...

Topic Title: Parroty Threads
Topic Summary: Polly Wanna Cracker?