Parler is back online so...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yeah, sorry for being all rabid libtard on him. "SORRY EVERYONE, sorry, sorry." /lancelot

Just been extra frustrated and tired of all the dishonesty, projection, distraction, and various forms of bullshit being thrown at the wall by conservative media and pundits right now, so when I see it here it's admittedly a bit of a kneejerk reaction.

I dont disagree, but I dont get the impression that Jask in intentionally spreading bullshit. I think he's just honestly trying to work it out and it's gonna take some time to process

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I've somewhat been there too and it wasn't until someone gave a proper reaction to that behavior that I realized "oh, no, I was being a shithead" leading me to reflect and change. So don't act like there's only one course on that path.

People have used kid gloves on him for years (what, a fucking decade at this point?) and it didn't accomplish anything, he's still acting the same as I've seen him act the entire time. Plus, that is not why he's supposedly changing, its because he's operating in pure self preservation where he realizes being a toxicly stupid idiot can fuck up his life (which is why he's so adamant to defend the fucking idiots that let social media bullshit stir them up into a frenzy). He's still in denial about the entirety of the situation. Notice he perpetually doesn't even acknowledge the real life actions that were consequences of the social media behavior of the people "being silenced"? Then on top of that he's trying to act like that stuff is perfectly fine while acting like Democrats have directly censored those people just for being Republicans. Same as he's done in the past. Where exactly you're seeing this growth, you'll have to show me as I'm just not. I'm seeing a slight "oh shit" and then him backsliding right to how he was, just like we're seeing from Lindsey Graham and the other assholes who suddenly wanted unity only to go back to spouting conspiracy theories a week later.

If that's growth then he'll be dead before he ever gets to a point of redemption for it.

Now, could I be less of an asshole? Absolutely. But, something to keep in mind, perhaps you should be mindful of your own advice to the people that have been fucked over by their bullshit (if I have to hear one more mother fucker recommend being nice to these fucking pricks as the supposed fix for the situation...). I've been nice, it accomplished nothing while they kept ratcheting up their level of hate, taking my lack of vitriol as tacit approval of their behavior. If they think they're going to get to hate and then be absolved of it the moment they feel the least bit bad for it, I'm sorry but that's shown not be effective. I'll incinerate their hate into ash in their goddamn mouths, I'll sunder their rage until they are consumed by fear like those that they've been terrorizing for centuries. They don't get to keep pulling this shit with zero consequences and then demand that people be nice to them while they play victim.

Ok, I dont have as much history like that, so if you wanna go with that, ok, I'm just saying it like I see it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Ultimately if Democrats continue to pursue a "you will filter content to our liking", then any host or solution for them will be temporary and Parler will be chased into one of three options. All of them beyond the reach of US laws and judicial oversight.
  1. Underground market.
  2. Hostile Foreign nation.
  3. Red State that secedes the Union.
It has no other choice if boycotts are continued.
Basically all of the most popular content on Facebook is right wing news/opinion. If the standard is filtering content to the liking of Democrats how do you explain this? (You can’t.)

The reason why Parler was kicked off of Amazon is made abundantly clear in their response to Parler’s lawsuit: people were advocating for crimes and violence on their platform. Amazon asked them to remove the content that advocated for crimes and violence and they did not. Therefore their contract was terminated.

Are you saying that Amazon should be forced to allow criminal activity on their servers? Are you saying that only Democrats wish to curtail criminal activity? What?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This reminds me of that story a few years back where either Twitter or Facebook looked into deleting white supremacist posts on their platform but decided against it because the algorithm they made kept flagging Republican politicians.

I guess they correctly foresaw the response - when you ban violent, white supremacist posting from your platform it disproportionately affects republicans. You can view this as bias against republicans, or you can accept that this is because republicans endorse violence and white supremacy at high rates.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
This reminds me of that story a few years back where either Twitter or Facebook looked into deleting white supremacist posts on their platform but decided against it because the algorithm they made kept flagging Republican politicians.

I guess they correctly foresaw the response - when you ban violent, white supremacist posting from your platform it disproportionately affects republicans. You can view this as bias against republicans, or you can accept that this is because republicans endorse violence and white supremacy at high rates.

This.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

basically overlapping venn diagrams.
on top of that, we all know now that as long as you are running a political ad, you can lie as much as you want...

Reactions: Pohemi

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007

Yeah it's not that platforms are banning conservative speech, it's that conservative speech has become increasingly racist and violent. Most of the people defending parler always leave this fact out and act like right wingers are being banned because they want lower taxes or some shit.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Do you think Democrats will not apply pressure on those services to remove Republicans from their system?

Just curious; who are "Democrats"? Nansi Pelosi? Biden. Or joe schome registered Democrat? Or Bezos (if he is even registered a democrat)? Which one of these made the demands?

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Yeah it's not that platforms are banning conservative speech, it's that conservative speech has become increasingly racist and violent. Most of the people defending parler always leave this fact out and act like right wingers are being banned because they want lower taxes or some shit.
This but I would add that conservative speech is now often based on a false reality. So lies promoting racisms and violence. Platforms are free to implement rules to limit such things. To insinuate otherwise is idiotic and unAmerican.

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2kilo

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Sorry but no, those are the modern Republican party. Sure some still try to hide that, but if you can't see that at this point, I don't know what else to say. If you say "but I'm Republican and I don't just not agree but hate those" then you're not actually a Republican any more, but are in denial.

But but but if they practice the capitalism that Republicans preach how could it then lead to them clamping down on Republicans spewing constant stream of shit? Could it be that Republicans were talking about removing the clause that protects those companies from being held responsible for the shit on their platforms? Gee, I can't fathom why companies being threatened with being held responsible for shit, would decide that maybe they'll kick the shit off of their platforms then? And oh look it just happens the shit is overwhelmingly being perpetrated by Republicans.

Which, hey, they probably did it because they also know that the shit will always have a home. In Jaskalas. His mind, his heart, his mouth, his ears, his eyes, his nose, between his toes, in the space underneath his toenails, in his belly button, and in his stomach. Because there's no amount of shit that Jaskalas won't eat.

No its not. There are the crazies, deplorables and racists in the R party that have taken too large a voice under Trump, but there are more normal mainstream people that are more classically R and still vote with the party, even if they are overlooking and handwaving away the worst elements of the party.
I don't agree with their dismissive attitude, but also recognize its a natural human reaction and urge that they reassess their position and voting patterns to save the country and their party.

This reaction is particularly strong with con men, and the marks can be one of the last ones to see they were duped, even after their family relations and bank accounts were drained away.

Even under normal circumstances, undoing the mind fuck Trump did on his base will be difficult to do, but its not helpful nor accurate to just categorize 71M people as Neo Nazis and insurrectionists.

If you don't know such people, try to get out, meet them and talk to them rationally. I have a large family and other circles and I know my father is not a Nazi or other deplorable, but he did buy into Trump's bullshit, and my calling it out for 4 years didn't change his vote in 2020.
What happened at the capitol was a turning point, as well as all of Trump's behavior after the election.
This won't be an easy task to unfuck what he, Facebook, and the RW media trolls have done to corrupt the minds and the party, but just squaring off and broad brushing won't do it either.

Ultimately, if the party can't change itself, then Ds have to continue to be welcoming to the sane elements that want to flee the nuthouse, and work hard to expand their coalition. Ds have to do this regardless to become more competitive in our legislative system and EC. Winning by 7M votes only gets Ds a 50/50 senate and slim majority in the house. Ds need to take this opportunity to expand the map, expand further into the South, gain in ex-urban area and break the Southern Strategy and Red wall that have fueled the R strategy for decades.

The R party won't change and turn on its radical elements until they start losing elections, and our system isn't well structured to punish the R party electorally. Ds have to change the game.

Mar 11, 2004
No its not. There are the crazies, deplorables and racists in the R party that have taken too large a voice under Trump, but there are more normal mainstream people that are more classically R and still vote with the party, even if they are overlooking and handwaving away the worst elements of the party.
I don't agree with their dismissive attitude, but also recognize its a natural human reaction and urge that they reassess their position and voting patterns to save the country and their party.

This reaction is particularly strong with con men, and the marks can be one of the last ones to see they were duped, even after their family relations and bank accounts were drained away.

Even under normal circumstances, undoing the mind fuck Trump did on his base will be difficult to do, but its not helpful nor accurate to just categorize 71M people as Neo Nazis and insurrectionists.

If you don't know such people, try to get out, meet them and talk to them rationally. I have a large family and other circles and I know my father is not a Nazi or other deplorable, but he did buy into Trump's bullshit, and my calling it out for 4 years didn't change his vote in 2020.
What happened at the capitol was a turning point, as well as all of Trump's behavior after the election.
This won't be an easy task to unfuck what he, Facebook, and the RW media trolls have done to corrupt the minds and the party, but just squaring off and broad brushing won't do it either.

Ultimately, if the party can't change itself, then Ds have to continue to be welcoming to the sane elements that want to flee the nuthouse, and work hard to expand their coalition. Ds have to do this regardless to become more competitive in our legislative system and EC. Winning by 7M votes only gets Ds a 50/50 senate and slim majority in the house. Ds need to take this opportunity to expand the map, expand further into the South, gain in ex-urban area and break the Southern Strategy and Red wall that have fueled the R strategy for decades.

The R party won't change and turn on its radical elements until they start losing elections, and our system isn't well structured to punish the R party electorally. Ds have to change the game.

Yes it fucking is. How you can say that shit with a straight face when they rallied around one so thoroughly they were literally committing crimes and even attempted to overthrow the fucking government to enable him? Attitudes like yours is why jack fucking shit will actually be done about this. If this type of shit happened just 50 years ago, we'd likely be discussing how the President that directed it would be executed for treason, not already acting like it didn't even fucking happen.

You either have not been paying any attention or you're smoking crack or something. They consistently do lose elections once the craziness and shittiness of the Republicans becomes impossible to ignore from all the willfully stupid idiots in America (again, how the fuck can you say shit like that after what we just saw). And then they go and vote in crazy and shitty Republicans ones once Democrats start to get things in order. Nothing changes because people like you continue to believe bullshit like the Republican party as a group isn't fucking racist. And sorry, there absolutely is more than 71million racists in America. They might not be white supremacists, but you're delusional as hell if you think they're not racist. If you or they don't like that, then don't fucking vote for virulently racist assholes and then act surprised that people make the association.

None of the rest of your post matters. Like I said, if you still think the Republican party is not overtly racist as its key tentpole you're delusional. I get that you've been gaslit to hell and back, but at some point you either acknowledge that or you just keep enabling it. Its not on the Democrats to win you over by playing political BS games. Democrats accomplished what they did in the elections because black people and women got out and just reminded people of how fucking shitty Republicans have been. And yet, we still have people like you trying to run clownshows trying your damndest to pretend that things aren't what they are.

Honestly, I don't know how black people haven't decided to just say fuck it and let America eat itself. Its clear it would since you certainly aren't going to do a damned thing about it. Most likely you'll still be there with your finger in your ears going "la-la-la the Democrats didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, that's why Republicans win based on screaming lies to stoke fear". Have fun with that, but stop trying to lie to me that the Turmp statue you're drinking out of isn't piss. I'm not going to join you in drinking it, and I'm done feeling like I should have to be thankful for the pennies they let people grab out of it.

Ds don't have to do shit, nor should people expect them to with regards to "the game". You want the game to change, well I'm not playing fucking games. Government is not a fucking game. That you're treating it like one is kinda the entire fucking problem. Republicans are not playing a game, they're treating it as a war and have been for decades.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Yes it fucking is. How you can say that shit with a straight face when they rallied around one so thoroughly they were literally committing crimes and even attempted to overthrow the fucking government to enable him? Attitudes like yours is why jack fucking shit will actually be done about this. If this type of shit happened just 50 years ago, we'd likely be discussing how the President that directed it would be executed for treason, not already acting like it didn't even fucking happen.

You either have not been paying any attention or you're smoking crack or something. They consistently do lose elections once the craziness and shittiness of the Republicans becomes impossible to ignore from all the willfully stupid idiots in America (again, how the fuck can you say shit like that after what we just saw). And then they go and vote in crazy and shitty Republicans ones once Democrats start to get things in order. Nothing changes because people like you continue to believe bullshit like the Republican party as a group isn't fucking racist. And sorry, there absolutely is more than 71million racists in America. They might not be white supremacists, but you're delusional as hell if you think they're not racist. If you or they don't like that, then don't fucking vote for virulently racist assholes and then act surprised that people make the association.

None of the rest of your post matters. Like I said, if you still think the Republican party is not overtly racist as its key tentpole you're delusional. I get that you've been gaslit to hell and back, but at some point you either acknowledge that or you just keep enabling it. Its not on the Democrats to win you over by playing political BS games. Democrats accomplished what they did in the elections because black people and women got out and just reminded people of how fucking shitty Republicans have been. And yet, we still have people like you trying to run clownshows trying your damndest to pretend that things aren't what they are.

Honestly, I don't know how black people haven't decided to just say fuck it and let America eat itself. Its clear it would since you certainly aren't going to do a damned thing about it. Most likely you'll still be there with your finger in your ears going "la-la-la the Democrats didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, that's why Republicans win based on screaming lies to stoke fear". Have fun with that, but stop trying to lie to me that the Turmp statue you're drinking out of isn't piss. I'm not going to join you in drinking it, and I'm done feeling like I should have to be thankful for the pennies they let people grab out of it.

Ds don't have to do shit, nor should people expect them to with regards to "the game". You want the game to change, well I'm not playing fucking games. Government is not a fucking game. That you're treating it like one is kinda the entire fucking problem. Republicans are not playing a game, they're treating it as a war and have been for decades.

I don't think we can't paint all republican voters with the same brush. There are probably different segments within the party that break down something like this:

1: A very tiny minority of the party that actually wants racial justice and harmony, but by some bizarre rationalization still voted Republican.
2: A small minority of extreme racists, that want a race war to wipe out minorities to return the 1950's demographics.
3: The bulk of the party, that recognizes the 1950's demographics aren't happening again, so "only" wants apartheid in the USA.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
What part of requiring moderation of illegal content means "you will filter content to our liking"?
You might want to view the hateful trash allowed on twitter and other social media platforms by Progressives before you climb too far up on your high horse.

• Haha

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
You might want to view the hateful trash allowed on twitter and other social media platforms by Progressives before you climb too far up on your high horse.

When was the last time planning a murder occurred on Twitter and wasn't censored or banned? What about a coordinated attack?

Last edited:

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Parler's attempt to get an injunction forcing Amazon to put them back online failed hard:

TLDR: You can get an injunction if you case looks like it has a snowballs chance of winning, this one doesn't. Amazon might move for dismissal since the case looks so weak.

• Love

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Parler's attempt to get an injunction forcing Amazon to put them back online failed hard:

TLDR: You can get an injunction if you case looks like it has a snowballs chance of winning, this one doesn't. Amazon might move for dismissal since the case looks so weak.
Yes - Parler would have a case if they had a way to argue that they didn't violate Amazon's TOS or that others routinely violated it in a similar way but were not booted off. Instead, they were arguing that Amazon's TOS shouldn't apply to them because reasons.

• Haha

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The reason guys like Rupert Murdoch wont help Parler is they wanna control the bullshit machine. Its profitable for them to push their agenda and they arent fond of competition.

Reactions: cytg111 and Pohemi

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I don't know anything about parler except my trumpie family are now pushing it. Kinda my envision of an insane asylum with THE PARLER room where all the nuts can gather together and pick invisible bugs off each other. Parler? I guess if you're a looney you must have somewhere to sound off. Talking to themselves got kinda old. Heck.... maybe they can get together and cure cancer.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The reason guys like Rupert Murdoch wont help Parler is they wanna control the bullshit machine. Its profitable for them to push their agenda and they arent fond of competition.
100%. Profit off hate and division. Good business.
Also... are we polling on how long it lasts? I mean before it craps out again?

Last edited: