parler has been taken off the google play store

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
From reading the material in post #177 apparently there is some sort of Folding@Home thing for helping to copy and archive Parler stuff? How do we get in? I'd love to do what I can to help protect the USA.
While I appreciate what they did on one level as I think it will help the country better understand the sickness going on here it also sure sounds like a crime to me, so probably best to stay away.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
While I appreciate what they did on one level as I think it will help the country better understand the sickness going on here it also sure sounds like a crime to me, so probably best to stay away.

There are two things floating around about this and only one is verified AFAIK.

A) Security Researcher Copied all the publicly available posts on the public web interface using a normal user account. It would be like if I web crawled this forum and copied all the message that anyone here can read. No crime in that.

B) Real hacker compromised everything hacked in and setup Admin accounts, has all the ID verification of every poster, including drivers license, and social security they used to verify themselves, all the private communications, and deleted messages.

A) is verified to happen, and is not a crime. Still juicy info, but no primate messages, and no drivers licenses.
B) is not verified, and would be a crime. This one may be trolling the Parler users to make them nervous about what they posted.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Parler Data mapping locations of Media uploaded to Parler after the Attack but before it was taken offline:

It will be sparse because Parler went down before a lot of people probably had a chance to upload their "trophies", but they made these nifty maps. But that's a small taste of the Phone records to follow, they will have tracked all the phones. While this is only the people who shot videos/pictures and uploaded before the demise of Parler.
37959598-9142985-Pictured_A_map_generated_showing_Parler_video_posts_made_on_Janu-m-7_1610558709717.jpg

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm not a fan of heavy handed policing but it would be hard to argue against the police opening fire there.

They retreated back from the crowd. Tried to defend a position with minimal force, then one of them got dragged out and beaten to death in front of them.
Trump needs to be impeached and prevented from ever holding office again.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Reactions: Muse

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Most of the posts Amazon field with court would qualify as felony terroristic threats in most states.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah, that content is indefensible. Damn them assholes.

The had a contract with Terms of Service. That crap violated TOS, so Amazon was completely free to end their service, as per the contract. It's case closed

Parler can't win. They are only bringing this lawsuit for more public whining that everyone is against conservatives.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Apparently Trump tried to join Parler and Gab but his aides stopped him.

That's really too bad, he probably would have wrote much that was incrementing basking in the adulation of the Nazi-Cesspool echo chamber.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I assume parlor was extremely dependent on AWS's capabilities. Any bets on how long it will take them to rebuild their platform from scratch? They have what all of 50 employees?

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I assume parlor was extremely dependent on AWS's capabilities. Any bets on how long it will take them to rebuild their platform from scratch? They have what all of 50 employees?
I thought they suggested weeks, but who knows? It's not the head-count itself that matters. But from all indications, their technical capability is fairly limited and that's how randoms were able to replicate about 80TB of their data before AWS pulled the plug.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I thought they suggested weeks, but who knows? It's not the head-count itself that matters. But from all indications, their technical capability is fairly limited and that's how randoms were able to replicate about 80TB of their data before AWS pulled the plug.
I assume AWS will need to get them any of their data back, no? My assumption is their entire platform was whipped together around AWS and extremely dependent on AWS. I doubt it is simply a matter of moving a bunch of data form AWS to another datacenter. I bet they do not have a usable platform outside of AWS.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
oh i've heard of azure

but there's no way i'd consider using it over AWS
There are some workloads Azure is much much better at like machine management and SharePoint hosting. It's much easier to finagle cloud storage repositories for software that isn't cloud aware. And license portability is much easier. Bring your own license can bring your $1100/core/month SQL license down to ~$70/core/month on Azure while AWS doesn't have nearly as good of an option. And yes you can do things to avoid need g a SQL license but not everyone has the time or ability to do that