parler has been taken off the google play store

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Any words from Microsoft?
Didn't heard anything about Microsoft blocking them from any of their services.
I'm sorry, who?
We're talking BIG tech here.

But if they were to ask Microsoft to host them, I am quite certain MS would tell them no deal.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I guess it's mostly textual data and media is linked elsewhere? On the Web scale, these databases are massive. If they weren't already keeping off-site backups, it could be hard to do in 24 hours.

And not that I care whether historical posts are wiped clean or not. I do doubt that they had a contingency plan for if AWS and all U.S. hosting companies refused their business within a 24 hour window.

I'd be very surprised if there is not an existing backup strategy in place and I'd be very surprised if the size of that DB cant be pulled on a 1G home private fiber .. we are talking compressable text here and a window of what, 10 terabytes?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'd be very surprised if there is not an existing backup strategy in place and I'd be very surprised if the size of that DB cant be pulled on a 1G home personal fiber .. we are talking compressable text here and a window of what, 10 terabytes?

Depends on what they're using really. It's also photos, videos, afaik, which take up much more space.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Depends on what they're using really. It's also photos, videos, afaik, which take up much more space.

I assumed they didnt host video and images...
10 seconds research later : Yea you can.
I just cant fathom that you can kick a client off without a realistic chance to retain its data... must be a breach of contract.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I agree, but are you saying MS isn't "Big" tech?

i would say that it is big tech just because windows

but a lot of developers don't include it, it's not part of the big 5 of FAANG which is where everyone wants to work

i haven't used a microsoft dev tool or platform since like 2005

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I just cant fathom that you can kick a client off without a realistic chance to retain its data... must be a breach of contract.
Twitter hosts videos up to 512MB in size. I've never visited Parler but I assume they could have a similar feature set.

You have a fair point, but the ToS probably have clauses referencing illegal activities/behaviors. Do you really want to have a legal fight with Amazon?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

but a lot of developers don't include it, it's not part of the big 5 of FAANG which is where everyone wants to work

Its my experience that sqlserver is ALL over the place ... not that I get it.

• Haha
Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I am mocking MS as not being particularly relevant to this topic, yes.

Apple and Google for cell apps.
AWS for cloud hosting.

So not necessarily big tech, just not one of the drivers of social media. There's a difference tho.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Twitter hosts videos up to 512MB in size. I've never visited Parler but I assume they could have a similar feature set.

You have a fair point, but the ToS probably have clauses referencing illegal activities/behaviors. Do you really want to have a legal fight with Amazon?

Damn.
That being said, it would stand to reason that they have a separate db for videos and media .. they could cut it lose and just get the text.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

I would just think that AWS is booting for breaching the contract to begin with, so I would guess AWS has verbage that say GFY if you violate ToS.

Edit: I also wouldn't be surprised if AWS gives them time to get data if Parker provides an evac plan

Reactions: cytg111

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

It's crazy but today's Microsoft is nothing like Steve Ballmer's Mickeysoft. Just look at their stock market cap and P/E ratio!

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

As @manly pointed out, they're a major cloud host

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Not even if AWS ended your time there? 😁

ok well maybe then
BLOW5do.png

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Just seen the video of it. He's dragged out of a door and down some steps and beaten senseless.

Video here.

Sickening. Murder charges for everyone in the immediate vicinity. Young black kids just in the same car where another jamoke went in and shot a store clerk in a robbery have been convicted of murder.

Mar 11, 2004
FFS, only on AT can a dipshit claim MS isn't a big web host and people then try to legitimize the argument with semantics. In a thread about a white supremacist app losing its hosting for helping incite and setup an insurrection.

Parler will be back up. Fucking Stormfront is up even after they were calling for genocide and were sending implicit threats and legit terrorist act planning was being carried out on there.

Mar 11, 2004

They're one of the largest tech companies, with them, Apple, and Amazon tending to trade the top spot for valuation.

That's not because Microsoft is not big, in fact its typically for the total opposite reason that Microsoft was too big so they shunned them. Meh, if people are clamoring to work for Facebook that doesn't tell me anything with regards to it being a big tech company. Facebook is half of what any of these others other than Netflix is worth and seems to be often close to shooting themselves in the foot and killing their already too ballooned valuation.

You actually probably have. Microsoft has been doing quite a lot of open source development in the past 10 years. Hell I think Windows now might even include a full blown Linux distro embedded within it because of how useful it is for developers.

Your knowledge of things seems to be stuck in 2005 and even then is skewed in some bizarre fashion.

Also if you search for FAANG (now FAANA) even Google goes out its way to include Microsoft by going "you mean, BIG tech right?"

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
  • Quote: Any words from Microsoft?
  • Answer: Not relevant.
And that says it all. Stuck in 2005 would be thinking otherwise. And, why fret over a simple dis? It was a joke - you can get over it.