parler has been taken off the google play store

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Fox is going crazy claiming the 1st amendment is being taken away from them...I love it.

I'm not sure I'd be gloating just yet. This is just starting to escalate. And the more lies RW media feeds their base, the most whipped up they're going to get.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Mar 11, 2004
I'm not sure I'd be gloating just yet. This is just starting to escalate. And the more lies RW media feeds their base, the most whipped up they're going to get.

You act like that wasn't already how things were operating. He's just enjoying how FOX regularly cries about free markets should decide and then starts crying when the free market tells them to eat shit.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Facts are thin on the story. He was hit on the head with a fire extinguisher, no one seems to know where, when, or how, there is no video that I've been able to find. There is a second story that claims he had a stroke.
He wasn't beaten to death at the scene, he was back in his office when he collapsed. It appears that it was a single blow to the head. Hopefully video comes out so the perp can charged. Since every idiot wandering around the scene was taking video, it seems likely.
Just seen the video of it. He's dragged out of a door and down some steps and beaten senseless.

Video here.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Just seen the video of it. He's dragged out of a door and down some steps and beaten senseless.

Video here.

One thing is clear, flag poles must be treated as weapons from now on.

Reactions: Muse

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

Video here.

Jesus Christ that makes me angry, I guess they were not allowed to but the police in that situation should have just started shooting into that crowd and if people die, SO FUCKING WHAT, a message needs to be sent to these traitors that this type of invasion will not be tolerated.

• Love
Reactions: Muse and DarthKyrie

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Jesus Christ that makes me angry, I guess they were not allowed to but the police in that situation should have just started shooting into that crowd and if people die, SO FUCKING WHAT, a message needs to be sent to these traitors that this type of invasion will not be tolerated.
Yeah, I completely agree. Any other group of people doing that would've had hundreds killed. Yet they are making that Ashii bitch out to be some sort of victim. She needs the same burial as Osama Bin Laden, to keep her grave from becoming a Mecca.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm not a fan of heavy handed policing but it would be hard to argue against the police opening fire there.

They retreated back from the crowd. Tried to defend a position with minimal force, then one of them got dragged out and beaten to death in front of them.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
One thing is clear, flag poles must be treated as weapons from now on.
They have been for decades, same with signs with sticks. I attended a protest back in the 80s at the Wisconsin State Capitol. You could carry a sign into the building but you had to remove it from the stick and leave the stick outside. It was a routine enough requirement that experienced protestors designed their signs with pockets for the sticks so they didn't have to worry about pulling staples. But then again, those were peaceful protestors not violent insurrectionists urged on by a sitting President and a national political party.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Yeah, I completely agree. Any other group of people doing that would've had hundreds killed. Yet they are making that Ashii bitch out to be some sort of victim. She needs the same burial as Osama Bin Laden, to keep her grave from becoming a Mecca.
While I agree any other demographic would be been treated much differently, I dont agree with the argument that they should've been treated like BLM protestors.

The takeaway is that police clearly are capable of using non-lethal force to defuse a riot. I dont want to argue that cops should go in guns blazing, seeing as thats the problem across the nation.

They should definitely be taken to task for failing to plan and respond, but I suspect that goes to the chain of command for the NG and interference from the pentagon (i.e. trump).

Reactions: Pohemi

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
Any words from Microsoft?
Didn't heard anything about Microsoft blocking them from any of their services.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I'm not a fan of heavy handed policing but it would be hard to argue against the police opening fire there.

They retreated back from the crowd. Tried to defend a position with minimal force, then one of them got dragged out and beaten to death in front of them.
That would be a justifiable use of force for once.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
While I agree any other demographic would be been treated much differently, I dont agree with the argument that they should've been treated like BLM protestors.

The takeaway is that police clearly are capable of using non-lethal force to defuse a riot. I dont want to argue that cops should go in guns blazing, seeing as thats the problem across the nation.

They should definitely be taken to task for failing to plan and respond, but I suspect that goes to the chain of command for the NG and interference from the pentagon (i.e. trump).
That looks like a defused riot to you? That looks like out of control insurrection to. One that was within seconds of jeopardizing the top leaders in our government. They were taking over a Starbucks or a random courthouse, they were trying to overthrow the government.

I don't think they should've just opened up with machine guns, but the people that dragged a cop out and we're beating him should've been capped. The guy in Q shirt trying to get to the Senate chamber while the VP was there and was attacking that cop, should've been shot.

The second the lines started being attacked rubber bullets and gas should've been flying.

Again non-lethals outside could've prevented this, but once attacking the building itself lethal force should've been on the table as it would have been for any other group of protesters.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
You are confusing all coups with the more specific military coup.

Wednesday was an attempted coup.
Technically it’s only a Coup d’Etate if it comes from that region of France. Otherwise it is sparkling white nationalism.
BLOW5do.png

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I used to work in Internet hosting, and I assume Parler could find an offshore host for their services UNLESS they're breaking international laws. For the most part, it's a Wild West online and you should find a dodgy Russian host if all else fails. To my knowledge, nobody has proposed blacklisting Parler at the DNS or routing levels and this would mostly go against the ethos of the Internet.

What's most likely a huge problem for them is moving their user content databases from AWS to wherever they choose to host. It shouldn't be hard to move the core app infrastructure itself (depends on their IT team and architecture) but there's a good chance AWS isn't going to give them enough window to get all their existing posts migrated off. They can still have the Parler web app with existing users hosted from Russia (I know, the irony is delicious), but post histories could be a clean slate.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I used to work in Internet hosting, and I assume Parler could find an offshore host for their services UNLESS they're breaking international laws. For the most part, it's a Wild West online and you should find a dodgy Russian host if all else fails. To my knowledge, nobody has proposed blacklisting Parler at the DNS or routing levels and this would mostly go against the ethos of the Internet.

What's most likely a huge problem for them is moving their user content databases from AWS to wherever they choose to host. It shouldn't be hard to move the core app infrastructure itself (depends on their IT team and architecture) but there's a good chance AWS isn't going to give them enough window to get all their existing posts migrated off. They can still have the Parler web app with existing users hosted from Russia (I know, the irony is delicious), but post histories could be a clean slate.
A db dump should not take 24 hours?

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
A db dump should not take 24 hours?
I guess it's mostly textual data and media is linked elsewhere? On the Web scale, these databases are massive. If they weren't already keeping off-site backups, it could be hard to do in 24 hours.

And not that I care whether historical posts are wiped clean or not. I do doubt that they had a contingency plan for if AWS and all U.S. hosting companies refused their business within a 24 hour window.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I guess it's mostly textual data and media is linked elsewhere? On the Web scale, these databases are massive. If they weren't already keeping off-site backups, it could be hard to do in 24 hours.

And not that I care whether historical posts are wiped clean or not. I do doubt that they had a contingency plan for if AWS and all U.S. hosting companies refused their business within a 24 hour window.

^^ exactly. I am always curious about corporate DR strategies and I'm kinda in bed with them as a vendor and have to cya. I would be surprised if a new site like this had something physical to keep and port to a new host.