parler has been taken off the google play store

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I guess racist and traitors will have to find a new safe space. I also wonder if some of those missing from here lately will come crawling back.

Caesar

Golden Member
Nov 5, 1999
Does this mean it can't be downloaded by new users or the app will no longer work on Android phones?

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Does this mean it can't be downloaded by new users or the app will no longer work on Android phones?
most likely taken off the play store. There is always apk workarounds, but most of drumpf's base won't be able to figure that out. Not in critical mass numbers anyways.

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
On Android phones, you can download third-party apps by enabling that feature and then manually installing the .apk file. Epic did this to get around the Play Store ban on Fortnite.

What worries me is that Google just created the need for "Conservative Friendly" App Stores. Some of them are probably going to become breeding grounds for malware.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Parler's website seems to be crashing under the influx of new users. I'd expect a conservative boycott of Twitter after banning Trump, and it's probably going to end up hurting Twitter as much as it hurts Trump.

Love him or hate him, Trump's Twitter rants were good for driving traffic to the site.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Parler's website seems to be crashing under the influx of new users. I'd expect a conservative boycott of Twitter after banning Trump, and it's probably going to end up hurting Twitter as much as it hurts Trump.

Love him or hate him, Trump's Twitter rants were good for driving traffic to the site.

yea, twitter benefited a lot from trump's antics

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Twitter will be fine without fascists. For now there are more sane people than lunatic fascists, and sometimes it's not just about ad revenue you know, but about being on the right side of history. Something you seem to fail to see here, as you are only seeing this as bad for Twitter. Shameful.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Why would Google and Apple ban those apps?

Parler has refused the censor the right wing extremists who were rooting for their least favorite congresscritter to get killed by the protestors who stormed the Capitol building, and Google and Apple consider that to be against their terms of service.

This is probably going to make for an interesting 1st Amendment Supreme Court case someday... assuming that Parler is still alive by then. They're getting a huge influx of new users, but they're probably going to have problems getting advertising.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Parler has refused the censor the right wing extremists who were rooting for their least favorite congresscritter to get killed by the protestors who stormed the Capitol building, and Google and Apple consider that to be against their terms of service.

This is probably going to make for an interesting 1st Amendment Supreme Court case someday... assuming that Parler is still alive by then. They're getting a huge influx of new users, but they're probably going to have problems getting advertising.
Is Parlor running on Google's or Apple's infrastructure?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

How is it a "First Amendment" case when a private company chooses to not do business with another private company? You need to read up on the Constitution.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Is Parlor running on Google's or Apple's infrastructure?

No, but their mobile apps are on their app stores. You can still use the website (kinda), but it's slow as shit right now.

It looks like they use AWS for web hosting, which is probably a bad move for them. Amazon wouldn't think twice about deplatforming them if they got some bad publicity from this. That's how many of the "Chan" websites got shut down.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
How is it a "First Amendment" case when a private company chooses to not do business with another private company? You need to read up on the Constitution.

It's not quite that simple. On Apple devices, getting delisted from the App Store is basically the deathblow for your application on that platform. Epic is already suing them about removing Fortnite from it.

I would think that the Supreme Court would love to answer the "Can a giant tech company use their monopoly power to silence dissent" question if given the chance.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Because it's a festering shithole for extremists and those who wish to support them?

If you do not allow Republicans to speak.....
Violence will be the only resource when you end "civil" discourse.
They are going to freak out and organize terror cells.

Honestly don't know if this sort of confrontation to silence them will end up with a better or worse result in the end.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
WTF? They already are. They have already plotted to kill multiple Governors and now Congressmen.

civil discourse is not plotting insurrection and sedition.

You realize that there was only a small handful of extremists who stormed the Capitol building, right? The majority of the protestors at that Trump rally were peaceful. They just waved their silly flags and held up signs around DC for a few hours.

(Or, at least I expect you to know that. You've been telling me the same damn thing about the BLM protestors just a few months ago)

Likewise, you have a few loudmouths on Parler who are playing "Internet tough guy" and talking out of their ass. 99.9% of them aren't a real threat.

Mass censorship has never really been an effective way of handling things like this. If anything, you're just going to drive the real crazies underground, and we're going to end up with another Unibomber or Timmy McVeigh eventually.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic and Pohemi

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
You realize that there was only a small handful of extremists who stormed the Capitol building, right? The majority of the protestors at that Trump rally were peaceful. They just waved their silly flags and held up signs around DC for a few hours.

(Or, at least I expect you to know that. You've been telling me the same damn thing about the BLM protestors just a few months ago)

Likewise, you have a few loudmouths on Parler who are playing "Internet tough guy" and talking out of their ass. 99.9% of them aren't a real threat.

Mass censorship has never really been an effective way of handling things like this. If anything, you're just going to drive the real crazies underground, and we're going to end up with another Unibomber or Timmy McVeigh eventually.
You just want to make excuses.

We are already past the point of having domestic terrorism. It’s been going on since Charlottesville and has escalated with plots against state and local officials that have been on going since Spring.

It hasn’t helped the feds were told to stand down on domestic terrorism because they are Trump supporters. There will be domestic terrorism over the next decade but starting in Jan 2021 alt right, far right and other anti govt groups will start being investigated and rounded up. We won’t get them all but we will get most of them. It will be easy to do because they are the stupidest motherfuckers.