parking tickets in Los Angeles SUCK! UPDATE: Is this legal?!?!?!

Jul 12, 2001
got one in the mail for $73 for "parking in a red zone but the officer couldnt put it on my car because i left"...which was me pulling out to let someone out of my car at a "red zone"...this was like 2 months ago.

so I contested the ticket which in LA means sending in a letter saying why u are contesting it...well last week I get a new letter saying "since you have not paid your ticket in a timely fashion the amount has been increased to $133.00"

calling them now to yell...hell ill be happy if i can just pay the $73 now even though its bull

update: They claim they sent out a letter (which i did not recieve) saying that it was denied and if i wanted a hearing I would have to pay it and request a hearing. Now they say that it is too late to request a hearing and the payment due is $133 and they are not responsable for postal errors.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
I just got a notice in the mail for a fourth parking ticket.........................on a car I sold last November. :Q

When I sold the car I sent in the proper papers to the DMV, but evidently they're way backlogged. The bastage who bought the car hasn't reregistered it and keeps getting parking tickets.

All I can do legally is to keep sending back the notice of non ownership.

I wonder if it's possible that they could put out a bench warrant for me.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: MrDingleDangle
Now they say that it is too late to request a hearing and the payment due is $133 and they are not responsable for postal errors.

The hell they aren't! They wouldn't accept that excuse if your payment was lost in the mail. They would say "You should have used certified mail," and that would be my response right back to them.

Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
yip its legal. and your stuck.

that sux...the late fee is almost the same as the original ticket

im up to $220 parking tickets (another one was late because my car got toed and the tow truck driver must have removed the ticket so I didnt know until the late notice showed up)...that one was near a construction site where i always used to park with "temporary signs" that were blocked by other parked cars

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Why is it that the States get money like this threw fines that the Police deliver out with "Tickets". Yet other unlawful events such as beating your children/ etc.....are not?. Tickets were made for the SOLE Purpose of Revenues by violation of traffic laws.
My uncle got a ticket one time at an Airport. He was first asked not to park in a specific zone at the Airports parking lot because he had sat there for over 5 minutes. He then circled the airport twice and the policeman pulled him over and gave him a ticket for going around the airport waiting for someone to come out. The policeman told him not to fight it because he couldn't get out of it and that he was just the unfortunate one who was slapped with his "Quota"

Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Chadder007
Why is it that the States get money like this threw fines that the Police deliver out with "Tickets". Yet other unlawful events such as beating your children/ etc.....are not?. Tickets were made for the SOLE Purpose of Revenues by violation of traffic laws.
My uncle got a ticket one time at an Airport. He was first asked not to park in a specific zone at the Airports parking lot because he had sat there for over 5 minutes. He then circled the airport twice and the policeman pulled him over and gave him a ticket for going around the airport waiting for someone to come out. The policeman told him not to fight it because he couldn't get out of it and that he was just the unfortunate one who was slapped with his "Quota"

yeah i hate it...right by my apartment there are a number of 3 or 4 way stop signs and a cop waits there untill people dont come to a complete stop (they watch your wheels i guess and see if they totally stop)...

<---got caught there once, went down from the speed limit 20mph to 1-3 mph and there were no cars in sight...thats $130

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
If you pulled over, let someone out, and kept going, then you never parked. I don't think it's illegal to stop in a red zone but maybe they have dumb ass rules where you are.

Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
If you pulled over, let someone out, and kept going, then you never parked. I don't think it's illegal to stop in a red zone but maybe they have dumb ass rules where you are.

yep i checked...u arent even allowed to let someone out at a red area...DUMB