Parking meter rates rising with the new year

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Downtown Chicago parking meters now $5.75hr

It's only for the rich anyway so of course it doesn't affect them.

1-2-2012

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...the-new-year-20120102,0,77548.story?track=rss

Parking meter rates rising with the new year

Chicago parking meter rates are going up again.Under the city's 75-year concession agreement with Chicago Parking Meters LLC, street-metered rates are set to increase in 2012.

In the Loop, bordered by Lake Michigan, Wacker Drive and Congress Parkway, rates will rise to $5.75 per hour between 9 p.m. and 8 a.m. from $5.

It will also cost $2 more a day to park in Chicago garages and lots during the week. Weekly and monthly parkers also will pay more.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
And this affects anyone here because...? I don't know ANYONE that parks downtown ChiTown. Everyone just takes the train.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah that deal was a fucking stupid. but what do you expect from Daley.

Also toll roads just jumped a lot too

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Who the fuck signs away 75 years of revenue?

read about its great. the city give the guy a 75 year lease for like a billion. witch with the increases the company will make in 2-3 years.

it was a bad fucking deal for the taxpayers.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Wow, ridiculous. That's getting close the min wage in IL.

Unfortunately integirty, wisdom and foresight is not a strong point of our politicians,... or more accurately they don't need to use these qualities to get and remain elected so they rarely if ever use them, choosing instead to rely on lies and propaganda which are much more effective in obtaining and remaining in office.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Just out of curiosity, what does an "early bird" parking garage rate cost per day in Chicago?

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
NfSuC.jpg

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Dave, Chicago is the quintessential liberal Democrat clusterfuck so how are you going to blame all that is wrong with your life there on Republicans.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I've been able to get away with free parking downtown in the loop so far, I know of a few freebie spaces ;)

That cost of parking is ridiculous. Earlier this year I drove out to Boston, their parking garage rates were about $10 for the whole day!

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Who the fuck signs away 75 years of revenue?

You don't understand - this is a potential issue for either party for any city or state.

Across the country, states are making similar mistakes, selling off public assets for some quick cash, screwing the public, in the name of 'privatization' that profits a few.

The level of public awareness and concern is not high enough. We need to ban this.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
read about its great. the city give the guy a 75 year lease for like a billion. witch with the increases the company will make in 2-3 years.

it was a bad fucking deal for the taxpayers.

Gave him a nice headline for the year - Mayor balances budget! Fiscal conservative!

Then with a few righties to endorse it - ya, get the government out of the business!

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
You don't understand - this is a potential issue for either party for any city or state.

Across the country, states are making similar mistakes, selling off public assets for some quick cash, screwing the public, in the name of 'privatization' that profits a few.

The level of public awareness and concern is not high enough. We need to ban this.
How is it privatized if it's funded by taxation? Contractors that take taxpayer money aren't really so private because it's not a voluntary transaction.

If the city were to sell the land to the highest bidder and not having anything to do with it after it was sold, then that would be true privatization. But that's not what happened.

I know your buddies Clinton and FDR liked doing "3rd way" shit like they just did in Chicago.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Dave, Chicago is the quintessential liberal Democrat clusterfuck so how are you going to blame all that is wrong with your life there on Republicans.

True, I never said Dems are perfect either especially rich ones.

The Politicians in Chicago are among the richest in the nation (including Obama) and they openly pillage the citizenry.