parking citation question

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001
Can you get a fine for towing if you've never received the ticket and you weren't there when the tow truck arrived? Essentially, no parking authority issued a ticket and I drove away before a tow truck showed up?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
...that's not a parking citation question. :confused:

Are you saying that you never received a ticket, or that a ticket was never issued? A tow fee is different from a parking citation, too...

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001
Well I'm assuming no ticket was issued because there wasn't one on my windshield. Plus, the letter says I need to pay towing fees. However, my car was never towed, nor was a tow truck present

EDIT: It came from a university parking dept.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Greyd
Well I'm assuming no ticket was issued because there wasn't one on my windshield. Plus, the letter says I need to pay towing fees. However, my car was never towed, nor was a tow truck present

I think we need some more details. Can you post the offending document with private information removed?

MotionMan

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
So they sent you a bill for towing, but your car wasn't towed?

They got your info from somewhere, and that somewhere was your car. So you WERE issued a citation, but some jerk probably took it off your car, so you never saw it.

Aug 25, 2004
Are you a student in that school? If so, here's some advice: "He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight."

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001

u can contest the towing fees since your car was never towed ask the towing company for records. however i know of one situation where the ticket and the towing fee are the same, your car does not need to be towed. just be glad you didn't pay impound fees. did you park in a handicap spot?

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Me too! I didn't get a citation and didn't get towed yesterday either! I'm not paying the towing company either.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Call them up and play dumb. Tell them you have no idea what they're talking about and never got a ticket and surely never got towed...

Tell them someone must have written down the wrong plate number or something.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Call them up and play dumb. Tell them you have no idea what they're talking about and never got a ticket and surely never got towed...

If you're a student there, that's a good plan because otherwise they're going to tack it onto your tuition bill.
If you're not a student there, then unless they've got your car locked up, there's no way for them to make it stick short of trying to take you to court. For the $20 bucks or whatever they're fining it won't be worth their time.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
If you move your car prior to towing you need to still pay the citation. The benefit is you don't pay for the tow.

In some cities they will tow you to a temporary lot first, if you can get your car there you still have no fees. Once they cart them off across town though, bring cash. You will still need to pay the citation.

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004
Can you get a fine for towing if you've never received the ticket and you weren't there when the tow truck arrived? Essentially, no parking authority issued a ticket and I drove away before a tow truck showed up?

They usually are required by law to leave the ticket on your windshield or something. No ticket on windshield = no ticket or someone stole your ticket =)

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
well....just because you did not RECEIVE the ticket does not mean you are off the hook...however, if no one cited you, then no one cited you.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Kelemvor

"...in fact, my car was in Jersey that whole week!!!"

MotionMan