Paris mayor to sue Fox News over parroting the Muslim no-go zones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm sure they have assets in France simply because they report from there.

Now if I defame Washington DC, does it have a right to sue me?

Yes. If you knowingly disseminate false information about any person or organization that inflicts quantifiable damages on them they are entitled to relief through the courts. By the way, under US law it is extremely difficult to prove defamation or libel as it needs to be shown that you did this deliberately and with malice.

I mean doesn't that make sense? You aren't allowed to deliberately lie about someone in order to hurt them, and if you do they are entitled to have those damages restored.

Jan 25, 2011
Yes. If you knowingly disseminate false information about any person or organization that inflicts quantifiable damages on them they are entitled to relief through the courts. By the way, under US law it is extremely difficult to prove defamation or libel as it needs to be shown that you did this deliberately and with malice.

I mean doesn't that make sense? You aren't allowed to deliberately lie about someone in order to hurt them, and if you do they are entitled to have those damages restored.

The US laws are difficult, which is why most companies/individuals that sue on defamation will do so in another district with far friendlier laws.

Here in Ontario we are frequently used for these types of cases due the laws we have in place and anything transmitted on the internet and most US air waves is receivable here as well. You can take action in any jurisdiction where the allegedly false information is able to be received.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
What damage? First, Fox is a US corporation and not French. As such just how is Paris going to sue for insults? It has no legal jurisdiction. Second, as Dr. Pizza has said Fox is not accountable (nor is any other news agency) for what they did. Their opposite, MSNBC, would be sliced, diced, and fried if held accountable as virtually every other agency would if such lawsuits were allowed.

So this lawsuit isn't going anywhere and you really don't want it to do so whether you realize that or not. What will happen? Nothing. The overwhelming majority can be divided into three groups. First the Fox haters. They will always hate Fox, but probably have their own ideological favorites. Then there's the Fox followers, who will defend them and oppose the Fox haters and their sources. Those two groups occupy the opposite polar regions. Like our geographical polar zones there are relatively few who live there. The vast majority are in between and who are they? They are the "I really don't give a flying you-know-what" people. Almost no one cares about Fox or MSNBC and they certainly don't care about the wounded ego of Parisians, who the French themselves don't much care for.

There won't be any consequences. No one will change their minds about any of this. You'll love, hate or not care about this. For my part I'm glad it won't go anywhere, but not because of Fox, but because of the precedent it would set where governments worldwide could destroy the press so easily. I'm not a fan of that.
By damage I was referring to damage done to fox by mentioning this. Donald trump does the same thing; I have seen stories about him simply saying he would she someone.

In this matter cnn has had multiple stories and cbs with Charlie rose was talking about it this morning. Fox has suffered a massive egg on its face. Only total fools believed the story about no go zones so Paris suffered nothing. Fox has merely fallen on its ass and had to apologize about it. Now Paris keeps it in the news for free by mentioning a lawsuit, letting other media stations embarrass fox for free.

So like I said the damage is already done. Lawsuit need not even be filed. If as you say we are all so stubborn as people that nobody ever changes their view on things and won't on fox I suppose we need never open our mouths to share any opinion about anything.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
If as you say we are all so stubborn as people that nobody ever changes their view on things and won't on fox I suppose we need never open our mouths to share any opinion about anything.

Liberals have a brain defect that prevents them from taking these words seriously. The path to truth is limited to the cure for the divided self. Truth is possible only for the individual. There are no real wars of ideology. They are all about avoiding personal responsibility.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
They should've covered the United States' NO-GO zones instead.

paddle-faster-I-hear-banjos.png

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I doubt France has much of chance at winning. I've seen numerous excerpts from French publications making the same claims about French 'no go zones' (although that's a term expressed in English and they would've used a French term).

Fern