Parents Sue School Over Wireless Network

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Parents Sue School Over Wireless Network
Thu Oct 9, 2:13 PM ET

By Daniel Sorid

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A pioneering elementary school district outside Chicago has been sued for installing a wireless (news - web sites) computer network by parents worried that exposure to the network's radio waves could harm their children.

According to the complaint, filed in Illinois state court, parents of five children assert that a growing body of evidence outlines "serious health risks that exposure to low intensity, but high radio frequency radiation poses to human beings, particularly children."

The Oak Park Elementary School District set up a wireless network to connect its schools to one another in 1995, long before such networks became wildly popular. A spokeswoman for the district, Gail Crantz, said it complies with all government regulations for wireless networks.

Today, the 5,000 students in the district have access to carts of laptop computers to do research on the Internet from their desks, said Steve Chowanski, director of information services for the district.

An estimated 30 million Wi-Fi networks have been installed worldwide, according to the Wi-Fi Alliance, which certifies wireless products. Brian Grimm, a spokesman for the group, said he is unaware of other similar suits targeting Wi-Fi networks.

According to Chowanski, a small group of parents had complained about the risks of installing wireless networks in the school. In response, the school board said it would continue to monitor research into the safety of the networks but reaffirmed its plan to use Wi-Fi.

"We are not going to do anything different," Chowanski said. "This is the wave of the future."

The complaint by the parents was filed on Sept. 26 in the Circuit Court of Cook County in Illinois. A hearing before Judge Nancy Arnold is scheduled for February.

The parents allege that the district failed to examine the health impact that wireless local area networks pose, especially for growing children. They are seeking class action status for their suit, which seeks to halt the use of wireless networks.

Calls to the parents and their lawyers were not immediately returned.

The Wi-Fi Alliance says Wi-Fi networks are safe. The radio waves in a Wi-Fi network use the same frequency as wireless home phones, and have one-thirtieth the power of, cordless phones, Grimm, the spokesman for the group, said.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
These parents must be the very same people helping to pass the insane Laws like the DMCA, members of the RIAA etc. An obvious case of them not able to keep up with advances in Technology as well as evolution of Mankind.
So sad, they should crawl back into the Caves from whence they came.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I guess no one told the dumbfvcks that UHF is used for a hell of a lot more than wifi, and the kids are being exposed to it wether the wifi is installed or not.

Gand1

Golden Member
Nov 17, 1999
This is just the case of some asshat greedy parent trying to make a buck. Asshat!!! :( Sad really.

MrYogi

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Gand1
This is just the case of some asshat greedy parent trying to make a buck. Asshat!!! :( Sad really.

add dumb and stupid to that. Freaking people don't mind taking them to McDonald's to eat unhealthy food, but have a problem with wireless network. They should throw away the microwaves, cordless phones and oh yeah take away their cell phones. b@stards

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
"The radio waves in a Wi-Fi network use the same frequency as wireless home phones, and have one-thirtieth the power of, cordless phones, Grimm, the spokesman for the group, said."

all the plantiff's homes should be inspected for cordless phones. if found, they should be b1tch slapped and sent on their way.

MrYogi

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: kaizersose
"The radio waves in a Wi-Fi network use the same frequency as wireless home phones, and have one-thirtieth the power of, cordless phones, Grimm, the spokesman for the group, said."

all the plantiff's homes should be inspected for cordless phones. if found, they should be b1tch slapped and sent on their way.
check for cell phones too. :|:|

MrYogi

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Gand1

How would the parents gain monetarily from this Lawsuit???

So, the lawyers are working for free? pro bono, eh? if the parents are not getting any, the lawyers are getting it all.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
well obviously the school will have to provide the tin foil hat should the parents not be able to afford it...

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Do these parents live in houses under high tension power lines, use cellphones and/or cook with microwave?

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002
I used to live in Oak Park. The last year I lived there I paid about $8000 in property taxes, largely to finance these advanced school technology programs. It's a really nice place to live but it has slightly above it's quota of wackos.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
damn, what wackos!

as an aside, wtf do elementary kids have a computer at each of their desk? research? when did elementary kids have to start doing research? or even understand what they are looking at? most of them would probably just screw around on the internet, given a computer at their desk.

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
damn, what wackos!

as an aside, wtf do elementary kids have a computer at each of their desk? research? when did elementary kids have to start doing research? or even understand what they are looking at? most of them would probably just screw around on the internet, given a computer at their desk.

I occasionally do some tech work at some elementary and middle schools in SoCal. It really surprises me that two of the schools have laptop carts with ~25 fairly new laptops when we are supposedly in a financial mess here and funding for education is supposedly really tight.

kitkit201

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
and I bet their parents drive around with bubble-heads that block ALL RF rays from entering their heads...

And finally I bet they ..oh nevermind

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Wow, everyone agrees on a topic in a AT P&N thread, the Cubs are winning...

Who turned down the thermostat in hell?;)

JackOfHearts

Apr 18, 2000
Actully most cordless phones run at 900 MHz while WiFi is 2.4 GHz. Some newer phones run at do 2.4 GHz, but they cost more. I doubt most of these people have that type as it will kill them:p

User1001

Golden Member
May 24, 2003
Actually most people I know bought 2.4 ghz when their old ones finally broke including me.