parental monitoring

nonshalont

Sep 23, 2020
hi all. planning to go to Colorado for a few days and want to keep a secret eye on the house and the modern teenagers within.what is the best method for having some sort of cam set up that doesn't require wifi? teenagers these days are technical wizards and I'm sure if I used a wifi connection they surely would notice a mysterious extra connection on the wifi app/menu. what small camera would I be able to use that will work with a cellular connection.with the research I've done it seems that a cell webcam is the best option.i want to be able to look in from miles away conveniently for peace of mind.

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
I don't think any global consumer electronics maker offers this kind of equipment (for legal reasons). You should look up specialized spying equipment or just get a babysitter.

But if you need to spy your TEENAGE children, it's probably too late anyway. Let them get drunk and pregnant at home where it's warm and safe. It's not like there's anything stopping them from going out (I hope...).

Feb 4, 2009
Not to be too critical, but If I were that untrusting of my children I wouldn't leave them unsupervised for a few days.
I was going to post something similar, but much douchier.

....so I'll just stick with this: It's "nonchalant," dang it!

Yeah same here. The solution OP is searching for sounds pretty creepy.
However, while I don’t have kids. I do not think it is strange for a parent to say “I pay for the phone, I get to see what you do with the phone”
or
Putting one of those speed monitoring things on the car. Just tell them it is there.
or
“I pay for the house and I want to say there is a blink camera at every door, the yard and the garage. I will be reviewing what happens while we are gone”

Reactions: nonshalont

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Yeah same here. The solution OP is searching for sounds pretty creepy.
However, while I don’t have kids. I do not think it is strange for a parent to say “I pay for the phone, I get to see what you do with the phone”
or
Putting one of those speed monitoring things on the car. Just tell them it is there.
or
“I pay for the house and I want to say there is a blink camera at every door, the yard and the garage. I will be reviewing what happens while we are gone”

I agree, But it doesn't help when you can see your house being torn to hell by a crowd of teenagers or burning to the ground...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would get a normal system but be upfront about it that you are keeping an eye or if they do anything stupid you'll go back and look at footage, and if they do anything to disable it then you assume they did something bad. Trying to hide it is just creepy.

Reactions: nonshalont
Feb 4, 2009
I agree, But it doesn't help when you can see your house being torn to hell by a crowd of teenagers or burning to the ground...

Yeah that’s why I am a fan of what you said earlier. Don’t trust your kids, then don’t leave.
I also could see a prominently displayed camera as a visible deterrent.
Either way I lean more towards what you said. While I don’t have kids, I do think taking risks and having minor shenanigans is an important part of growing up and ultimately becoming an adult.

nonshalont

Sep 23, 2020
wow thanks guys.i never considered the creepyness of it all now i think about it.sigh.i just dont want the ruffians down the block inside my house with my items coming up gone.kids these days think they gain friends for being "cool" also thanks for not being jerks.
much thanks guys.

Feb 4, 2009
wow thanks guys.i never considered the creepyness of it all now i think about it.sigh.i just dont want the ruffians down the block inside my house with my items coming up gone.kids these days think they gain friends for being "cool" also thanks for not being jerks.
much thanks guys.

Honestly if you are concerned put up a few nest camera's don't hide them, make them exceedingly visible and tell the kids I expect these cameras to stay where they are.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

seriously. It just ruins your vacation. Why not enjoy the vacation and at least delay the misery a few days and keep those blissful happy days in reserve?

the house is already cratered and nothing is going to change that while you are away.

Reactions: pcgeek11