Parent of dying boy has to prove her son can’t take standardized test

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
This is nuts, and I can't believe this poor family and their son were forced to go through this. The kid doesn't have a brain, only a brain stem and is now in a morphine induced coma.

----------------------------------

Washington Post News Article

Andrea Rediske’s 11-year-old son Ethan, is dying. Last year, Ethan, who was born with brain damage, has cerebral palsy and is blind, was forced to take a version of the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test over the space of two weeks last year because the state of Florida required that every student take one. Now his mom has to prove that Ethan, now in a morphine coma, is in no condition to take another test this year.

Ethan wasn’t the only brain-damaged child in Florida to be forced to take a standardized test; I have written in the past about Michael, another Florida boy who was born with only a brain stem — not a brain — and can’t tell the difference between an apple and an orange, but was also forced to take a version of the FCAT last year. (See here, here and here.) There are many others in Florida and across the country as well.

Why does Florida — and other states, as well as the U.S. Department of Education — force kids with impaired cognitive ability to take standardized tests? Because, they say, nearly every child can learn something and be assessed in some fashion. Even, apparently, a boy born without a brain.
Publicity last year in Florida about some of these cases sparked interest among some state lawmakers to pass legislation to make it easier for severely disabled students to get waivers from taking these tests. The U.S.

Department of Education sent a letter warning lawmakers to keep assessing all children, and one Florida Education Department spokesman told me that “waivers do not apply to students with a chronic situation.” Legislation did get passed but it wasn’t what some had hoped. It allows parents to request a waiver (Michael’s parents abandoned him shortly after he was born, and he lives in an Orlando care facility for children called the Russell House), and the state has set out a long series of actions that have to be taken — including approval by the education commission — to get a waiver.

Ethan got a waiver, but now there is a new obscenity transpiring. His mother sent an e-mail Tuesday to Orange County School Board member Rick Roach and to Scott Maxwell, who has movingly written about Ethan and similar cases for the Orlando Sentinel, that the state is requiring her to prove that her son still can’t take another standardized test and can therefore keep his waiver.

The e-mail says:

Rick and Scott,

I’m writing to appeal for your advocacy on our behalf. Ethan is dying. He has been in hospice care for the past month. We are in the last days of his life. His loving and dedicated teacher, Jennifer Rose has been visiting him every day, bringing some love, peace, and light into these last days. How do we know that he knows that she is there? Because he opens his eyes and gives her a little smile. He is content and comforted after she leaves.

Jennifer is the greatest example of what a dedicated teacher should be. About a week ago, Jennifer hesitantly told me that the district required a medical update for continuation of the med waiver for the adapted FCAT. Apparently, my communication through her that he was in hospice wasn't enough: they required a letter from the hospice company to say that he was dying. Every day that she comes to visit, she is required to do paperwork to document his “progress.” Seriously? Why is Ethan Rediske not meeting his 6th-grade hospital homebound curriculum requirements? BECAUSE HE IS IN A MORPHINE COMA. We expect him to go any day. He is tenaciously clinging to life.

This madness has got to stop. Please help us.
Thank you,
Andrea Rediske

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Government "logic" in action. And to think, lots of people want to increase the scope and power of such government bureaucrats every day.

A quick 2 minute conversation should have permanently resolved this, but it's the government we're talking about, so sheer incompetence and stupidity will turn it into a long drawn out exercise in stupidity and absurdity.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
if she ignores the request, the florda gumment would probably put the child in state custody...

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
if she ignores the request, the florda gumment would probably put the child in state custody...

Yep, you'll end up with a case of "child endangerment" and abuse of a minor. . . Jack Booted Thugs will no-knock and shoot the family dog and the kid but then get off (pun intended) because they 'followed procedure.'

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
[Insert animated Bugs Bunny Florida gif here]

Sorry, too lazy to dig it up.

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008

Now, now....

We can't be enlessly dipping into the state budget to pay for the terminal care of some non~tax paying deadbeat leech, you see. Easier and cheaper to imprison the nurse. Saves the Taxpayers money.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Unenroll him from school then. Likely the only reason this hasn't been done is because the school district is still collecting state tax dollars for the "student" who is in a coma. Forget the test waiver and fire the administrators for fraud.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Unenroll him from school then. Likely the only reason this hasn't been done is because the school district is still collecting state tax dollars for the "student" who is in a coma. Forget the test waiver and fire the administrators for fraud.

then they become unfit parents. kid gets taken away.

its amazing to me that parents whose child is dying is having to deal with this kind of bureaucratic bull shit that shouldn't even be brought up at this time.

really goes to show you that florduh needs to be removed from the union cut off and floated away... stupidity is contagious.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
That is the most fucked thing I have ever read.

Why don't they wheel him in ....tell him to take the test and put him in detention when he doesn't comply....dumbasses

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
This is absolutely nuts! I have a good friend who taught cognitively impaired children for years. He told me of an incident that took place a few years ago. Before I begin I need to explain that the children he taught have severe disabilities. He had a student who loved to sh*t in his pants. He had another student who would take out his d*ck and start masterbating in the classroom. Anyway, by law his students were now required to take state tests and assessments. They can't tell the difference between an apple and a banana, but yet they want these kids to take tests! Also, he was required to put together a portfolio for each student. Everything needed to be documented. He had a lady who worked for the state come into his room unannounced. She was so smug and ignorant. She told him "I want to see you teach." He told her "before I can do anything I have to wipe my student's ass." She gave him an awkward look and left the classroom. He has since retired and he is a very happy man. Government has no idea.

This took place in New Jersey, and it was a private school. Not a public school.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
The real crime here is forcing that poor kid to "live" in that state.

Only a brain stem? Are you fucking kidding me? Should be cruel and unusual punishment to be forced to live that way or raise a "kid" that way. They will never be a person. Sad.

Last edited:

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
The real crime here is forcing that poor kid to "live" in that state.

Only a brain stem? Are you fucking kidding me? Should be cruel and unusual punishment to be forced to live that way or raise a "kid" that way. They will never be a person. Sad.

No kidding. I would be curious if that statement was accurate, it seems highly unlikely. Maybe not a fully functioning brain, but how were they born with just a brain stem?

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
No kidding. I would be curious if that statement was accurate, it seems highly unlikely. Maybe not a fully functioning brain, but how were they born with just a brain stem?

Its called hydroancephaly I believe and there have been many cases of babies born with only a brain stem. Some can live to be 6 years of age, but they have to have around the clock care and are normally placed on machines.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Its called hydroancephaly I believe and there have been many cases of babies born with only a brain stem. Some can live to be 6 years of age, but they have to have around the clock care and are normally placed on machines.

There's no point in keeping them alive.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Story seems to be being told from just one side. Could it simply be, "Hi, you said your son is in a coma. But, the state's regulations are that unless there's a reason, all kids have to be tested. Unfortunately, we can't simply take your word for it, but need documentation for our records - could you have the facility that's providing the hospice care send a form for us? Sorry for the inconvenience."
"Omg! The nerve of them to want proof! I'm calling up the news station."

In a way, I guess it's similar to a person calling in sick to their job, "hi boss, I can't come in for two weeks. I'm at the hospital getting my appendix taken out." "Okay, I hope you feel well soon. Hey, don't forget to please get a doctor's note that you were in the hospital for your records. Thanks." "OMG! The nerve of you! I'm calling the news station!"

In other words, this issue has probably been exaggerated.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Story seems to be being told from just one side. Could it simply be, "Hi, you said your son is in a coma. But, the state's regulations are that unless there's a reason, all kids have to be tested. Unfortunately, we can't simply take your word for it, but need documentation for our records - could you have the facility that's providing the hospice care send a form for us? Sorry for the inconvenience."
"Omg! The nerve of them to want proof! I'm calling up the news station."

In a way, I guess it's similar to a person calling in sick to their job, "hi boss, I can't come in for two weeks. I'm at the hospital getting my appendix taken out." "Okay, I hope you feel well soon. Hey, don't forget to please get a doctor's note that you were in the hospital for your records. Thanks." "OMG! The nerve of you! I'm calling the news station!"

In other words, this issue has probably been exaggerated.

you DID see that it's from washington post right? Thats a reputable and honest non-biased news source that always fact-checks. . .