Paranoid Question....

hennessy1

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2007
I was cleaning out a friends computer and they have a 8800gt I disconnected the fan connector on the card while I was cleaning and put the card back and turned on the computer went to go do something for a few minutes and came back and the card smelled funny but no visible signs of damage and was extremely hot. I turned off the computer and let the card cool. Is there any way I can tell if I damaged the gpu? No visible signs of damage and since I've reconnected the fan connector?

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
Run Furmark stress test or ATI Tool and look for artifacts. Oh and of course, make sure the fan is plugged back in first.

hennessy1

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2007
If the temps stay within acceptable range and there is no visible artifacts can I assume there's no permeate damage?

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Thats why you should never help friends work on their PCs unless they pay you or you're insured against negligence ;)

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
As long as there physical heatsink was still on the GPU, there's an insignificant chance you did anything to the card. Generally if the cards get too hot, they just throttle.