Panhandlers!!!

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I was at the Baltimore Harbor last night and I must have been stopped my 3 or 4 homeless people asking for money to buy something to eat. One guy actually smacked me on the back. There are 2 homeless shelters within 5 minutes of that area that I can think of....probably many more that I dont know about. What do you do when your asked for change?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Give them some if I have it/can spare it.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
say "get a job".

there was a guy in denver that made 50,000 a year as a professional panhandler.

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
While in Florida for a job interview one time a guy approached me for some gas money, so I did the only thing I could. I hired him as my tour guide and for the rest of the night he showed me the town. I learned where to go for some good fishing, where to buy some drugs, where the best places to pick up hookers were, which hookers to stay away from, as well as some other sites most tourist aren't introduced to. Not bad for $10 I thought.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: sandmanwake
While in Florida for a job interview one time a guy approached me for some gas money, so I did the only thing I could. I hired him as my tour guide and for the rest of the night he showed me the town. I learned where to go for some good fishing, where to buy some drugs, where the best places to pick up hookers were, which hookers to stay away from, as well as some other sites most tourist aren't introduced to. Not bad for $10 I thought.

actualy if true thats a good idea.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
a good way to make sure your donations aren't being used towards various illegitimate purposes (like buying.... pantyhose, for instance), is to have a supply of small-value gift certificates to various fast food places - like $5 in Burger King or McDonald's bucks, and to give that to the panhandlers, instead of giving them actual money.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Your supposed to give em all ya got..their condition is your fault..don't you feel your liberal guilt??

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've seen the same small group of panhandlers for years at my usual freeway offramp on my way home. It's like a freaking franchise. For so much, you get an assigned time and one or more "Homeless Vet. Will work for food." signs. I really got pissed when I saw one of them in a wheelchair when I know I've seen him walking at other times.

I'm definitely a liberal, but I've still considered what the effectiveness of a paintball barrage might be on these particular parasites.

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
i used to never give them a dime.

but lately i give them a dollar or 2 after talking with them a little while
about what their problems really are all about.

i figure they need the dollar a lot more than i do & it didn't take me long
to earn it.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
There are some people in baltimore who will stop you and hand you a well printed card that says thery're deaf/mute and it asks if we could spare some money. These cards look more proffessional than most business cards I've seen. I just keep walking.

MooseKnuckle

Golden Member
Oct 24, 1999
I usually ignore them, but today a NYC homeless dude was shouting at the ladies walking in and out of the local store; I politely told him to STFU. A few other times, if they're polite I'll buy them MCD's if they're hungry. I never give them $ because they have plenty of it and will only buy drugs...

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
the only time anyone in my family has given any panhandler money was this one dude in RB. he had most of his shoulder missing, all the muscle, so only bone and skin covering it and the rest of his arm. my father gave him 10 dollars, because that injury severely takes away from his ability to get a job.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
There are some people in baltimore who will stop you and hand you a well printed card that says thery're deaf/mute and it asks if we could spare some money. These cards look more proffessional than most business cards I've seen. I just keep walking.

ran into that situation once. Originally ignored them. My wife got on my case. Yelled back to the person, and they turned around. Deaf my foot.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Harvey
I've seen the same small group of panhandlers for years at my usual freeway offramp on my way home. It's like a freaking franchise. For so much, you get an assigned time and one or more "Homeless Vet. Will work for food." signs. I really got pissed when I saw one of them in a wheelchair when I know I've seen him walking at other times.

I'm definitely a liberal, but I've still considered what the effectiveness of a paintball barrage might be on these particular parasites.

Bwahaha! Straight out of Threepenny Opera. I always wondered if that really happened...it's a brilliant idea. The guy outfits, trains, licenses and organizes the beggars, and then collects a portion of their takings.

Oh, and he beats the crap out of unlicensed beggars.

acidvoodoo

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2002
here in england they produce this magazine called the big issue, and distribute it to homeless to go out on the street and seel for 1 pound, and i think they get to keep the money and it's just a way for them to earn.

while christmas shopping some guy was like "come on i've been here 5 hours and sold 3", it's really hard to believe them, as so many pull all kinds of stunts.

another time a guy tried to sell me one, and i was like "no thankyou" and ke kept following me saying "come on man, all i need is 50p more, i wanna get a beeeeeeeeeeer" what the hell