Panasonic TC-P55VT50 $1618 Shipped at Abe's of Maine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
One of the top calibrators on avsforum uses the break-in slides (or, has the owner use them) before doing his TV calibrations. The most you're going to lose is a small amount of $.$$ for the electricity used and a little bit of time not being able to watch your new expensive TV purchase that you'll have for years.

Just use the break-in slides, let them run overnight and during the day (all the time) for 150-200 hours. You'll be fine after that.

And No, the white wash is not the same as the break in slides.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
One of the top calibrators on avsforum uses the break-in slides (or, has the owner use them) before doing his TV calibrations. The most you're going to lose is a small amount of $.$$ for the electricity used and a little bit of time not being able to watch your new expensive TV purchase that you'll have for years.

Just use the break-in slides, let them run overnight and during the day (all the time) for 150-200 hours. You'll be fine after that.

And No, the white wash is not the same as the break in slides.

QFT.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999

I can't remember offhand. I remember this being discussed over at avsforum at some point, and I came across the thread after the fact when looking for break-in information. The takeaway from the thread was to run the break-in slides.

Owls

Feb 22, 2006
Awe have had the 65 vt50 for over a month and we are extremely pleased. The 3d is great actually even though 3d titles are few and far in between. There has been zero IR and my wife watches a lot of crap with logos. All in all we love the tv.

mplogic

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
I can't remember offhand. I remember this being discussed over at avsforum at some point, and I came across the thread after the fact when looking for break-in information. The takeaway from the thread was to run the break-in slides.

If you don't want to mess with the slides, just follow these basic rules for any new plasma. Avoid leaving the TV for long periods of time on content or channels which are not fullscreen (black bars on sides) and avoid any channels with logo's or non-moving graphics (ESPN, weather channel, DVD menu screens, video games, pause, etc.) for the first 100 hours or so.

I broke in a new panny plasma this way a couple years ago and never had any problems. They've virtually eliminated the need for this, but to be safe just don't leave it sitting for hours with the same content on any given pixel. A proper break in involves working all the pixels through their range evenly across the screen. Normal use, noting the above rules will do this just fine.

All plasmas will have some faint image retention when you turn them off, especially when new. Don't panic, this is normal. It will usually be gone the next time you turn it on, if not, run the white bar mode for a few minutes and it will be back to normal.

Enjoy your new TVs and one of the best viewing experiences you can have. :)

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
I can confirm that Best Buy is selling it for $1,699.98 until January 12. I just got ~$200 back on a price match from before Thanksgiving (their holiday price match period is 11/4 through 12/18, which is when I bought mine for $1985, and I thought it was a steal then!). It's on sale elsewhere too. Get 'em while they're hot!!

mplogic

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
Also from pauls you can get the 60" GT50 for the same price ($1700) using the "SAVE200" coupon code.

If you want something a little bigger with pretty close to same pq.

http://www.paulstv.com/Plasma-Televisions/Panasonic-TCP60GT50.asp

*update* - the coupon codes only work on those models and just the bare TV's, not the combos. If you call them over the phone you might be able to get them to do both the coupon code and the $250 in gift cards. That would make this a truely smoking deal.

Last edited:

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Its large screen deal time, this week is CES in Las Vegas with lots of new model intro's (to dealers anyway, who buy often months ahead).

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
True re: CES, but those models won't be available for many months. I think that BB and others overbought by a long shot last year, and they're dumping stock more than most years. Best Buy's holiday return policy is in effect until 1/24...I've never seen them offer such a massive discount during the return period before. When I made them price match my VT50 to $1895 in November, they were selling it for $2499. That means anyone who bought from BB without a price match in November or December can walk in now and get $800 back! That's a LOT for BB to offer without some other motivation, like dumping hundreds of extra items they thought they'd sell during the holidays. But of course, I'm just speculating, and my speculation is irrelevant. Get out there and grab this amazing TV while the getting's good!

truckerCLOCK

Dec 13, 2011
I can confirm that Best Buy is selling it for $1,699.98 until January 12. I just got ~$200 back on a price match from before Thanksgiving (their holiday price match period is 11/4 through 12/18, which is when I bought mine for $1985, and I thought it was a steal then!). It's on sale elsewhere too. Get 'em while they're hot!!

Ummm just checked the BB website and it's going for $1999.98 not $1699

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Wow! Right after I bought it for 1700.

That's what I said, but I bought at BB in November assuming this would happen. I already price matched to $1700, and stopping over there later today to price match to Abe's new price.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Just an FYI, I talked to Paul's TV about their 30 day price protection and they would not do a price adjustment because Abe's of Main is not an authorized Panasonic retailer. They would only do price adjustment for authorized retailers. Makes sense.

So if you really want peace of mind and not worry about warranty issue, you should take that into consideration.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Just an FYI, I talked to Paul's TV about their 30 day price protection and they would not do a price adjustment because Abe's of Main is not an authorized Panasonic retailer. They would only do price adjustment for authorized retailers. Makes sense.

So if you really want peace of mind and not worry about warranty issue, you should take that into consideration.

Good point. Here's a list of authorized retailers for Panasonic home entertainment products.

That's another reason I went with BB. It's nice to have the authorized dealer and the local support (not to mention the killer holiday price match).

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Just wanted to confirm that Best Buy matched the Abe's price of $1587.26. YMMV, but they didn't give me much hassle about doing it. Took about 10 minutes with a print out from Abe's at the customer service desk at my local BB.

truckerCLOCK

Dec 13, 2011
Just wanted to confirm that Best Buy matched the Abe's price of $1587.26. YMMV, but they didn't give me much hassle about doing it. Took about 10 minutes with a print out from Abe's at the customer service desk at my local BB.

BB will only pricematch if the store is within 25 miles of BB. I already tried with my local BB and they would not honor any of the on line prices.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
BB will only pricematch if the store is within 25 miles of BB. I already tried with my local BB and they would not honor any of the on line prices.

I'm sorry you had this result, but it's simply NOT Best Buy's policy. BB will match to Amazon, which has no stores anywhere. And they'll match to any online vendor that is a real competitor of BB. Abe's of Maine is a real competitor that's been around since 1979, so BB takes them seriously and will price match. If they won't, tell them you want to speak to a manager.

If they won't listen, I'd call corporate and lodge a complaint. Also, feel free to point them here to see my most recent price match receipt:

5zfmdc.jpg

I had originally purchased for $1895 (back in November when BB's price was $2299), and that was in Valley Stream, NY, price matching to Abe's of Maine. Then BB lowered it's own price to $1699 last week so I stopped by the store near my office in NYC and price matched to BB's price. Yesterday I went back and they price matched Abe's of Maine again, as you can see above. Don't take their BS, make them price match!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I am still debating the 60" GT50 over the 55" VT50. I really can't justify the $1000 premium to go 65" in either of these sets nor do I want to give up PQ for size. My viewing distance is 9' so I think a 60" set (or even 55") would be more than enough.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
WOW what a deal,We have last years gt30 and we bought the vt50 when it came out for 2499 and got it reduced when bestbuy put it on sale for 1999.I am about to order another vt50 at the 1600 price as its by far the best tv you can buy.Its blacks are on par with the kuru and at 1600 is a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.