Panasonic TC-P55VT50 $1618 Shipped at Abe's of Maine

Status
Not open for further replies.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Original deal was $1700 shipped at Paul's TV with "SAVE300" coupon code. EDIT: The Paul's code appears to have expired, but the Abe's deal below (and in the title) is still active.

That was a smoking hot deal on the best plasma screen you can buy right now (unless you want to spend more than $5,000).

But this is even hotter...$1618 shipped at Abe's of Maine. Get one!

Last edited by a moderator:

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
From reading around a bit, this is nicer than the ST50 and UT series from Panasonic, thats crazy, I have a UT and the PQ is insane. This is indeed a HOT HOT HOT deal then.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
From reading around a bit, this is nicer than the ST50 and UT series from Panasonic, thats crazy, I have a UT and the PQ is insane. This is indeed a HOT HOT HOT deal then.

Indeed. It's literally the best thing since the legendary Kuro, which still can't be beat by most accounts. If you're in the market, this is an insane price.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Ordered yesterday and received notification that it shipped. :D

I beg you to savor the overwhelming joy you will feel when you unbox and fire it up. This TV will spoil you rotten. It's worth every penny at this price, and then some. If you have any issues there's a massive owners thread over at AVS, or you can PM me if you want. Also, if you like a darker but more accurate picture (of course you do, you just bought a VT50), I highly recommend the settings listed in this review.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Man, I wish I hadn't seen this thread. Now I'm actually contemplating a new TV.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
From CNET, if it helps you decide:

The good: The Panasonic TC-PVT50 series produces some of the best pictures ever, with exceedingly deep black levels, highly accurate color, and perfect screen uniformity and off-angle performance. It can get brighter than competing plasmas and performs better in well-lit rooms. Although expensive, it costs much less than comparable LED and especially forthcoming OLED models. Its styling makes it as attractive as any plasma TV I've ever seen.

The bad: The VT50 isn't as strong in terms of value as Panasonic's excellent midtier plasmas. It uses more power than competing LCD TVs, and doesn't perform as well in bright rooms as those with matte screens. It doesn't come with 3D glasses and its 3D picture shows more crosstalk than that of some competing TVs. [cytoSiN edit - there are known settings tweaks to minimize crosstalk, if 3D is your thing]

The bottom line: The Panasonic TC-PVT50 series represents the pinnacle of current flat-panel TV picture quality.

psfc_yojimbo

Aug 5, 2012
I've been researching these Panny plasmas over the past few weeks, and am about to pull the trigger on a TC-P55ST50 (currently $1,200). Can anyone comment on if this VT50 is really worth $500 more than the ST? The CNET reviews say it's practically the same PQ (unless I interpreted it incorrectly). Are these additional features worth it?

24, 576 Shades of Gradation
THX3D Certified
VIERA Touch Pad Controller
96Hz Playback of 24p
ISFccc

Thanks!

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
I've been researching these Panny plasmas over the past few weeks, and am about to pull the trigger on a TC-P55ST50 (currently $1,200). Can anyone comment on if this VT50 is really worth $500 more than the ST? The CNET reviews say it's practically the same PQ. Are these additional features worth it?

24, 576 Shades of Gradation
THX3D Certified
VIERA Touch Pad Controller
96Hz Playback of 24p
ISFccc

Thanks!

You'll have better/deeper blacks on the vt50. If you're a videophile and/or you watch a lot of dark blu-rays, you will notice this, but you still might not care.

The touchpad controller is gimmicky but cool. It's not worth $500.

I can't speak directly to the other points, although I think the 96Hz playback of 24p helps with potential 3D crosstalk.

I would head over to the VT50 owner's thread over at AVS and ask your question there. Those guys know their shit and should be able to provide the feedback you're looking for.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
Nice deal, but i'd go with the 60inch ST50 from Amazon for the same price...

psfc_yojimbo

Aug 5, 2012
Nice deal, but i'd go with the 60inch ST50 from Amazon for the same price...

Just FYI but that Paul's TV place (which I had no idea even existed before this post) gave me a pretty decent deal on the TCP60ST50 when they said the coupon was not good for it (only for the VT50). I spoke with a sales guy who was able to give me $50 off the 60in ST50, 5-year warranty, DVD player, fixed wall mount, and their free in-home delivery for just under $1,900. I found it to be $160 cheaper than the price from Amazon, with an articulating Cheetah wall mount, and 5-year SquareTrade warranty. I guess the benefit is they don't have a cap on their warranty use, they unbox and check the TV before leaving, and a giftable DVD player:sneaky:. The only downside is the fixed vs. articulating mount, but I could have got one for $100 more, still saving $60.

TL;DR: I saved $60 by using Paul's TV over Amazon on a ST50 ($300 off coupon only applies to VT50).

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
For me the near 10% tax ordering at Amazon would kill the savings.

I buckled and ordered this TV from Paul's TV. Time to put an older HDTV on sale.

chronochime

Feb 29, 2012
If only my TV stand would fit this without kicking the LCD on the side off to its own little table. *must resist*

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Make sure to run break in slides. Can be found over at avsforum...

Good point. I've had my VT50 since before Thanksgiving, and I still run slides whenever I'm home but not using it. The screen, like all plasmas, will show a decent amount of IR (which is NOT the same thing as burn in), but it mostly goes away very quickly, even without slides. The purpose of slides is to condition each pixel to a variety of hues so that they're less susceptible to both IR and burn in. You can get the slides here: www.eaprogramming.com/downloads/files/BreakIn_Images.zip. And read about them here: http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloads/download_main.htm.

Basilisk

Sep 15, 2000
I "settled" for a 60GT50 five months ago as I couldn't justify the VT $$$. Well... I'm a bit jealous now, "but mine's bigger than yours". [Sigh.] It's my monitor as I'm typing this.

Anyway, Paul's does considerable business on Amazon and I'd trust them. Before ordering my Panny (directly from Amazon) I'd ordered a larger Sharp (70"?) from Paul's (through Amazon) and they shipped quickly. Unfortunately, it arrived with a damaged screen for which I blame shipping or warehousing, not Paul's, so it went back -- it's impressive how unquestioning and graceful the Amazon return went for a $2K unit.

Don't stand this on a table, hang it on a wall. 'Looks very pretty there! :sneaky:

psfc_yojimbo

Aug 5, 2012
I "settled" for a 60GT50 five months ago as I couldn't justify the VT $$$. Well... I'm a bit jealous now, "but mine's bigger than yours". [Sigh.] It's my monitor as I'm typing this.

I may have lucked out here. Like I mentioned above I ordered an ST50 because the VT was still too much, and I wanted 60 inches, and the price still ended up being a better deal than Amazon. On my shipping statement from "Home Direct USA" it shows a GT50, not ST50. It should be delivered in the next few days, so I'll be checking right away on what model they sent. If it has been upgraded to the GT it's probably because they only had a few of the 60in ST50's in stock when I placed the order :hmm: If that's the case, I'll take it :sneaky:

Basilisk

Sep 15, 2000
Re' Burn-in / Break-in

Phosphors "wear down". That is, they burn most brightly for the first few hours of use, but swiftly "decay" to a durable / stable level.

A "break-in" video serves to "burn" all the pixels to that plateau in a uniform manner. After it's been run, each pixel should be alike in emissions.

The "need" for this is largely history IMO. When folks started buying HD TV's they were still largely watching 4:3 broadcast TV. During their occasional use of HD media they noticed the sides were inappropriately bright -- because those pixels were so little-used they hadn't declined to the plateau.

I suppose someone watches mostly 4:3 these days, but aren't they a tiny minority? I use my computer to watch & DVR ComCast HD channels [via 4-stream CableCard] and it's only the occasional old movie (7 Samurai, etc.) on my Blu-Ray player that's side-bar'd. (Sure, top/bot' letter-boxing on movies is a similar threat.) So all my pixels are in use 99% of the time.

The other old issue of burn-in [logo or text] wasn't common unless you regularly left one frozen image on-screen for hours [cumulatively, for weeks] -- some game systems used to burn a message when folks regularly left the TV on. Well, my computer screen-blanks after disuse, and the Panny's "no-signal" dances around, so I've no such problem.

"Break-in" is an inappropriate term: it's cumulative hours of phosphor use that matters. If your unit shows uneven emission (= extremely uneven use of pixels), running those "break-in" videos at any time should push any little-used pixels onto the broad plateau of evenly lowered emissions. I don't see any reason to run the videos unless you're observing A Problem. This is not like "breaking in an engine" where service life is extended by proper breaking-in.

Of course, I could be blatantly ignorant and totally destroying your new TV's and your lives with this advice. :sneaky:

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Re' Burn-in / Break-in
<snip>

All true, in general. But I find that even a few hours of stupid TV logos can leave some image retention in the corners that I'd prefer not to see hovering like a ghost when watching something particularly dark. The retention tends to go away after some more diverse use, but in the few spare hours I get to fully enjoy my TV, I don't want to see the stupid E! logo (or whatever else my wife watches when I'm not around) on top of my movies and what have you. I don't NEED to run the slides, as any IR I've seen has gone away on its own relatively quickly, but in my experience they diminish any image retention much more quickly than simply watching diverse content, and they do so while I'm home but not otherwise using the TV, and therefore make it so that any stubborn IR doesn't interfere with my chosen content at all.

In sum, to quote perknose, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

Last edited:

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Dunno why you guys need slides - my TV has built-in white wash. Doesn't that do the same thing?

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I may have lucked out here. Like I mentioned above I ordered an ST50 because the VT was still too much, and I wanted 60 inches, and the price still ended up being a better deal than Amazon. On my shipping statement from "Home Direct USA" it shows a GT50, not ST50. It should be delivered in the next few days, so I'll be checking right away on what model they sent. If it has been upgraded to the GT it's probably because they only had a few of the 60in ST50's in stock when I placed the order :hmm: If that's the case, I'll take it :sneaky:

Lucky! I have the 55ST50.. Love it.

Snaggletooth

Dec 3, 2004
I beg you to savor the overwhelming joy you will feel when you unbox and fire it up. This TV will spoil you rotten. It's worth every penny at this price, and then some. If you have any issues there's a massive owners thread over at AVS, or you can PM me if you want. Also, if you like a darker but more accurate picture (of course you do, you just bought a VT50), I highly recommend the settings listed in this review.

Thank you and savoring I am. Movies are phenomenal, but when displaying my desktop the flickering is annoying. I haven't tried gaming yet, but I plan on it. Just getting into the vt50 owners thread at AVS.

The people I delt with at Paul's TV and the delivery company they chose were courteous and friendly to a degree I'm not used to.

psfc_yojimbo

Aug 5, 2012
The people I delt with at Paul's TV and the delivery company they chose were courteous and friendly to a degree I'm not used to.

Dude... I felt the same way. The sales guy was obviously trying to sell the sh*t out of me, but not in an annoying or aggressive way, he was very helpful, friendly, and enthusiastic. He kept putting me on hold to "discuss with his manager", which was a bit comical, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy with the decision to buy and the final price... and I haven't even got the TV yet. Delivery scheduled for Monday :D

Status
Not open for further replies.